Clean Hard Hits are an Endangered Species

madbohem

Reaction score
I can't fault the NFL in its current state for throwing the flag on Kam.

Injury is a serious issue, no doubt, and if you can do something to help lessen long term damage, I am totally for it. However, in doing so, the league has created a flag football league without regard to the game. So much has changed even before injury concerns became the latest mantra. The NFL, in its wisdom, has enhanced the success of the passing game with rule changes because it understands people want to see big plays. With the concern over injury, the league has not only set rules in place to help protect against big injuries, particularly to the head, but has made passing an even better option in the long run.

But you know what? People like defense too. And I think they need to look at this as an unresolved problem and realize there is a solution that lets them protect and deter head hunting while still keeping the integrity of a big hit.

I think if its a Big Hit the way Kam knows how to hit, you throw the flag, but it should be mandatory for officials to review the play.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I agree, but I don't see a solution near at hand. We are going to continue seeing bad flags for clean, 'Legal' hits.

On a related note, I think with the increase and reliance on Instant Replay, NFL officiating, as a whole, has digressed perceptibly, to a point where Refs don't trust what they see anymore. I used to be amazed that the refs got it right wayyy more often than at first glance when I saw the replays. If but for a few egregious bad calls.......

HawkWow

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. I am actually concerned about the future of the league. I travel a lot and 9 times out of 10, when abroad, I am in confrontation with soccer hooligans. They call the NFL a "p***y sport". I counter this by reminding them that they are still developing countries...unable to afford to gear teams up with football gear. Two trash cans and a ball is all they need. LOL. I'm afraid at this rate, their description of American football may become "spot on" as the hooligans in England might say..

I totally agree with your last sentence. Let the play be reviewed. If for no other reason, it would keep the egg off the faces of these sport runining officials. And I am not baised at all. I said the same thing a few weeks ago when Rice took the big shot. This is football. Players make huge money and sometimes take huge shots. Lott and Easley both agree, of this I am certain.

grizbob

Reaction score
It's a knee jerk reaction by the NFL for PR purposes because there are those that would like to see football banned. And that number is growing.

garydrake425

Reaction score
Bubble wrap anyone? Goodell is a Big fat floppy puss bezzy. I'd like to see a ref or two get leveled after some of these calls. :bump: oops sorry bro. :mrgreen:

Latest posts