Carroll: Tyler Lockett is one of the three starting WRs

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
DynoHawk":3r3h6jt5 said:
Took him in the final round of my Fantasy league, wonder if i should start him this week.
Co-sign. I only took him in the league that rewards return yardage though. I am half tempted to start him too. I am very hesitant to start a Seahawk receiver in fantasy as they don't throw a ton and Russ really does spread the ball around but Tyler has the big play ability, it might be worth the risk.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":3hqfvuam said:
I have a feeling we're going to see A LOT of 11 personnel this year.

Well I would say like half of Brock Huards Chalk talks are 11 personnel so it would be safe bet we will use it :D Bevel will scheme to get 1v1 matchups with Lockett deep because there is no way in hell they are going to single cover Jimmy on the other side or in middle and Doug Baldwin has been good at taking advantage of it. TD against Panthers I think comes to mind where he had a 1v1 vs a rookie? safety

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":sc8nmmik said:
DynoHawk":sc8nmmik said:
Took him in the final round of my Fantasy league, wonder if i should start him this week.
Co-sign. I only took him in the league that rewards return yardage though. I am half tempted to start him too. I am very hesitant to start a Seahawk receiver in fantasy as they don't throw a ton and Russ really does spread the ball around but Tyler has the big play ability, it might be worth the risk.
FYI I have a strong feeling those days are over given unlike the old days we will have three first tier types once Richardson is back. Pedestrian is for fools...just see Julian Edelman.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
won't be long before Kearse is 4th on the depth chart where he belongs. Lockett will be a number 2...hoping Matthews is the real deal and be the number 3.

Threedee

Reaction score
DynoHawk":1qxzajap said:
I grabbed him one round earlier, and have the same dilemma.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
hawknation2015":28whcsx4 said:
massari":28whcsx4 said:
kidhawk":28whcsx4 said:
Makes sense looking at the receivers on our roster. I'd probably rank them as follows, but I wouldn't be surprised to see T.L. rise on that list over the course of this season.

1) Baldwin, Doug

2) Kearse, Jermaine

3) Lockett, Tyler

4) Lockette, Ricardo

5) Matthews, Chris

6) Daniels, B.J.

Lockette has 380 yards in 3 seasons and is 29 years old. He should be the #6 WR and cut when Richardson comes back.

I don't think I agree with it, but Lockett(e) has been listed as 2nd string at WR, while Matthews and Daniels are 3rd string on the depth chart:
http://www.seahawks.com/team/depth-chart

DYMNMlv

To me, that shows how weak this receiving corps is outside of the Top 3 . . . even though Carroll has called the WR corps "deep."

"Deep" can have various meanings, depending what way you look at it.

1. Experience:

Baldwin is in his 5th year, entering his 4th with Wilson.
Kearse is in his 4th year, entering his 4th with Wilson, 3rd year with a prominent role, 2nd year as a starter.
Lockette is in his 5th year, like 3 and half with the team, entering his 2nd and half with Russell Wilson.

These guys are Veterans. They've been here for the last two Championship runs. We now see a mature Baldwin leading the corps, Kearse may or may not be better with his consistency but he's playing for a contract and that usually means a strong season for a young player, Lockette is also playing for a contract and he did some good things last year at times as with some bad things but maybe he gets better learning from his experiences. Also, besides these three having established trust and experience with Wilson, their familiarity within the system, they are all good to great blockers in the running game.

2. Potential:

Lockett is special. Its not a matter of IF but a matter of WHEN. If you asked me if the Seahawks could find a player with the dominate downfield ability of Tate, crisp route-running quickness of Baldwin, and the smooth athleticism of Harvin, without the headaches, without the immaturity, without the diva-ness, without the attitude, I would have said "you couldn't" but then Tyler Lockett was drafted by the Seahawks.

Matthews, he'll be given a chance to move up the depth chart for sure but he's been out for 2-3 weeks and Wilson has built trust with the guys he's practiced with, So Matthews kind of has to earn his snaps. But his potential to dominant like he did in the Superbowl is still there. The fact that he starts on the active squad instead of the practice squad is a testament that the Seahawks believe he can be big factor. He's also still young, still learning to be a consummate pro, still growing into his own potential. Not everyone had a Kevin Lockett to look up to and be full-throttle right of the bat in this league.

Daniels, I'm not going to say much but Deep is, what Deep does, would you rather have athletic raw potential like Daniels or Bryan Walters at the 6th?

Paul Richardson don't forget about him, 2 months from now, this kid could be back, by season's end, he could finish what he was progressing towards last year, a very outstanding WR with a great pair of mitts in the short to intermediate field.

3: Practice Squad

I don't think "Deep" stops on a 53-man Depth chart, Seahawks kept Kevin Smith and Kasen Williams close for a good reason, many of us thought one or both should have made the roster.

4. Versatility

"WR" or Wide Receiver itself can also mean various things.

Graham has lined up at WR for most of his career and has dominated those mis-matches.
Seahawks will send Lynch wide in empty back sets at times and he has been very good with his opportunities.
Don't know much about Fred Jackson "out wide" but his statistical history suggest that he as well as seen time at "WR" on occasion and has done well.

If we merely talking RECEIVER, it gets a little broader.

Rawls has looked pretty decent catching the rock and will get the opportunity to refine those skills behind mentors Lynch and Jackson.
Coleman is very good as a backfield option.
Willson and Helfet are TEs who are more known from their receiving talent, than their blocking talent. Or at least their current receiving talent is better than their current blocking talent.

CONCLUSION: I don't think Carroll was specifically pin-pointing the 6 man unit on the 53man roster as "deep" but more so the broad spectrum of the different players on this team that can be utilized at "WR", in that sense the WR corps is very deep especially compared to what we had last year.

And even if Carroll was specifically talking about the 6 man unit.

2015 Baldwin, Kearse, Lockette are probably better than the 2014 version of Baldwin, Kearse, Lockette.

2015 Lockett, Matthews, Daniels are probably better than 2014 Harvin, Norwood, Walters.

Only wild card is Paul Richardson. Can he return to the field? Can he regain his form? For now:

2015 Richardson probably isn't as good as 2014 Richardson.

But still you could argue that the unit is deeper, that it has a sense of depth, compared to what we had in years prior, I suppose.

Definitely, deeper and stronger than what the Seahawks ended the season with in the Superbowl, last year.

Mick063

Reaction score
Don't forget Willson and the 2 tight end, 2 WR, 1 RB set.

Don't forget Coleman and the 2 RB, 1 TE, 2 WR, "I" formation.

This "starter" talk is very subjective. Lockett is the starter in three wide receiver sets. Basically dictated by down and distance (passing downs-ie. 3rd and ten)

capncrunch

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2uryyita said:
won't be long before Kearse is 4th on the depth chart where he belongs. Lockett will be a number 2...hoping Matthews is the real deal and be the number 3.

Yes. A nice tall target for Rus and a big play threat to replace Harvin and then some. Oh, I'd love to see Lockett and Matthews overtake Kearse. Not sure what we'll see from Richardson though optimistic there. I also like the PS WRs we have now. I'm pretty happy with things. Improved tight end and running back pass receiving wiil open things up for the wideouts in general.

mrt144

Reaction score
SeaChase":ry34mjcl said:
DynoHawk":ry34mjcl said:

I did the same on two different rosters. Maybe I'll start him on one of them.

I took him in mine but I have Dez, Evans and Ashlon...

I went total homer with Lynch as a keeper, Seahawks D, trading away Big Ben and Doug Martin for Wilson and Ryan Matthews, drafting Lockett. It is a keeper league after all.

chet380

Reaction score
kearly":3k3sndn4 said:
I expect Wilson will get sacked at least 5 times, but past history in this matchup has shown us that the Rams defense leaves themselves open to big plays. I think we'll have a lot of ugly 3 and outs but also some 5 play, 70 yard drives.

Based on past performance, this seems a reasonable expectation -- let's grind our teeth and wait out the expected sacks, QB knockdowns and hurries and root for the big plays that led to scores.

Bad stuff is going to happen for sure, so let's keep the faith and try to tamp down the negativity.

GO HAWKS!!