Carroll suggests Seahawks don't need to upgrade O-line

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
flmmkrz":gwmw6o16 said:
MontanaHawk05":gwmw6o16 said:
flmmkrz":gwmw6o16 said:
good god, if Pete was 100% on the level with everything he's said in the last couple days...our oline isn't changing our offense isn't changing, our coordinators aren't changing and somehow we're supposed to be drastically better....maybe senility has finally hit Pete. The stress of the season broke him lol Petes a master troll, he and JS have a plan and they'll reveal it on their own time frame.

Or maybe he's having a hard time looking down on 11-6-1 and another division title.

If he's content with meekly bowing out of the playoffs and patting himself on the back for a division title instead of looking to improve then he probably should hang it up. I doubt Belichek after losing in the playoffs isn't turning over every stone to see what could've been done better. I believe Pete is doing that as well. I don't think he's content with a playoff loss and a division title, he wants that championship and he doesn't need to come onto the radio and tell us what his real thoughts are and what the teams leaning towards doing, that'll unveil itself in time.

We were three Hauschka misses and a Kearse foot away from being the #1 seed. We lost our momentum in the Falcons game because of stupid special teams penalties. We beat the Lions. That was all without Earl Thomas.

Believe it or not, the OL functioned just fine to get us in close position for 13 wins, and given our highly mobile QB and the hard money needed to keep our talent spent elsewhere, I don't blame them for skimping on the OL.

We're in a good position NOW to get some serious competition at tackle, but the cap and our other big signings have made it tough until then.

classicaaron

Reaction score
so were supposed to wait like 3 years for the line to possibly gel and become decent. that's not even a given, just a possibility. by then the defense will be even older and slower. so if the offense would ever turn around we wont have a defense. this just makes zero sense. they are acting like they are trying to rebuild. the pieces are in place to win now with some decent oline upgrades. go get the pieces and make it happen.

classicaaron

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2ae2yl8g said:
flmmkrz":2ae2yl8g said:
MontanaHawk05":2ae2yl8g said:
flmmkrz":2ae2yl8g said:
good god, if Pete was 100% on the level with everything he's said in the last couple days...our oline isn't changing our offense isn't changing, our coordinators aren't changing and somehow we're supposed to be drastically better....maybe senility has finally hit Pete. The stress of the season broke him lol Petes a master troll, he and JS have a plan and they'll reveal it on their own time frame.

Or maybe he's having a hard time looking down on 11-6-1 and another division title.

If he's content with meekly bowing out of the playoffs and patting himself on the back for a division title instead of looking to improve then he probably should hang it up. I doubt Belichek after losing in the playoffs isn't turning over every stone to see what could've been done better. I believe Pete is doing that as well. I don't think he's content with a playoff loss and a division title, he wants that championship and he doesn't need to come onto the radio and tell us what his real thoughts are and what the teams leaning towards doing, that'll unveil itself in time.

We were three Hauschka misses and a Kearse foot away from being the #1 seed. We lost our momentum in the Falcons game because of stupid special teams penalties. We beat the Lions. That was all without Earl Thomas.

Believe it or not, the OL functioned just fine to get us in close position for 13 wins, and given our highly mobile QB and the hard money needed to keep our talent spent elsewhere, I don't blame them for skimping on the OL.

We're in a good position NOW to get some serious competition at tackle, but the cap and our other big signings have made it tough until then.

we were also a chip shot field goal by Arizona which should have easily been made, a Julio PI call, and a Gronk catch, or brady doesn't muff the snap or blount extends his hands on his dive, away from being 8-8. but again no one references our luck. the should haves or what ifs apparently only work in the favor of our team. we are not that great. sorry just tired of the absurd homerism. I love this team and support them but I also like to be realistic.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Schadie001":bxjk06dh said:
Listen to about min 14:42 in the press conference he is talking specifically about the Oline. He said " ...We are going to work very hard in the off season to make sure those spots are competitive. We are NOT going to rest on anything or set back and think oh we got this now...The are opportunities of course in the draft and free agency and all of that."

Not sure how anyone got that our Pete thinks our Oline is good. Not what I just quoted him saying.

Yeah I heard it the same way. He started with coach speak but it was obvious he's not happy with where we are at with that group and I can guarantee we won't be starting the year with the same line. Zero chance of that. I commend Fant for what he's trying to do and its not his fault but they cannot start the year with him at left tackle. He might not make a single NFL roster outside of Seattle yet he's starting here. That is scary.

JimmyG

Reaction score
Hawks46":24ffp1un said:
So now, we hear "OMG'z the OL sucks, blow it up!" Errrr, ok that worked so well the first time.

Continuity is key and these guys need to learn the system, and each other. I'm not saying they're all elite but there's a lot of potential there.
Speaking of continuity, this applies to our coordinators as well. The people that are so eager to show Bevell the door forget that bringing in flesh blood requires everyone learning a new system. Not only is Bevell unfairly scapegoated, people also underestimate what it takes to transition to a new offense.

Now of course we'll just get some cliche response like, "well, it's okay if there are some growing pains with a new offense. Sure it'll be a little rocky at first, but once we get up to speed on a new system everything will magically be okay and it'll be superior to Bevell and his offense in every way."

timmat

Reaction score
classicaaron":2uj1sp8o said:
so were supposed to wait like 3 years for the line to possibly gel and become decent. that's not even a given, just a possibility. by then the defense will be even older and slower. so if the offense would ever turn around we wont have a defense. this just makes zero sense. they are acting like they are trying to rebuild. the pieces are in place to win now with some decent oline upgrades. go get the pieces and make it happen.

This exactly.

This approach is why I was fuming at this concept at the beginning of the season. It's a sound concept for an up-and-coming team or a bottom-tier group. But right now, I don't want to see any position group dominated by almost entirely projects. I honestly don't care about 3 to 5 years from now. We have an extremely rare opportunity to win multiple titles. There is a time to look to the future, and a time to sell out for the present. Upgrade the O line with journeyman players who can step in now and make us a middle-of-the-pack O line. That's enough to get us to 12 or 13 wins again IMO. It would even minimize the lack of flow in play calling if we could execute blocking assignments on the plays that are called, regardless if you agree with the call or not.

I just don't want to see us be like the baseball team that can pitch and play D with the best of them, but can't score runs. And then they start scoring like crazy a few years later but by then the pitching has went south.

We have the rare opportunity to have an explosive defense and offense at the same time. But QBs and RBs that are forced to dodge would-be tacklers the second the snap is received won't get us anywhere.

mrt144

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":1dkte2ya said:
This is not the first season with an underperforming Oline. This is however, the first offseason the FO is using "continuity" as a defense. It's weak an disingenuous considering this team has been blowing up and rebuilding the front five the whole PC era. I'll believe the higher ups want continuity when they start resigning linemen.

Action speaks louder than words. If the determination is that all the good that continuity brings isn't outweighed by the market considerations for resigning our OL, then we'll perpetually be without continuity. And as far as fan opinions go on individual linemen go, yes, rarely is anyone satisfied with even average and 'overpaying' for it but we haven't gotten studs in the draft that are worth paying again or trading for draft capital.

I've said this a million times but continuity is a function of having guys good enough to retain. The FO is all or nothing in this.

zchurch74

Reaction score
I think Pete thinks he and his coaching staff can coach our o-line rather than going out and finding free agents or through the draft.

I think Pete mindset is stuck in his days at USC. in college you have 3-4 years to coach guys up. I think he is trying that same philosophy now. He's also selling it to Schneider. This also makes Pete more valuable as he is saving the Seahawks money.

I don't agree with it. We need to sign a veteran in the offseason, find a reliablemiddle of the pack FA, and draft 2 lineman.

razor150

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":1qo7is78 said:
If you fall off a cliff and land at the bottom you have nowhere to go but up. If this line is kept intact, the good news is that they can't be any worse. Can they? :180670: The experience they gained from this year alone should help tremendously. Two rookies started. If they have two rookies start again next year that at least have collegiate experience they won't be as green, raw and inexperienced as this year.

I think one guy that we can count on being out of the mix is Bradley Sowell. Whatever he may have brought to the table is less than a guy who hadn't started on an o-line since junior h.s. Think about that for a minute. Sowell played on the line in college, was drafted as an o-lineman, played the position on 2 professional teams, yet was so bad that a guy who not only wasn't drafted, didn't play college football nor HS football beat him out and relegated him to the inactive list most games.

Don't want to defend Sowell, but were are talking about the same team who made Drew Nowak our starting center over Patrick Lewis for half a season. I didn't see anything from Fant that says he improved the position over Sowell. It is just sad commentary that either of them would be considered starting material on this team. Fant should have been on the practice squad learning the position, not protecting Wilson's back on gameday.

Schadie001

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2nck23v2 said:
flmmkrz":2nck23v2 said:
MontanaHawk05":2nck23v2 said:
flmmkrz":2nck23v2 said:

Agreed...Top that with IF we score 2 TD's instead of our usual FG's against Atlanta could have been a far different game. Instead of trying to play catch up, we could continue to run the ball. I really think that one of our most glaring issues is our inability to score TD's in the red zone.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Our QB and all of our running backs were injured this season. What should that tell you about our offensive lines performance?

Now ....do we really want to repeat this next season?

jhern87

Reaction score
Why would he say anything different? As many have said it only hurts negotiation leverage and he'd be dumb to say anything to hurt his O-line's confidence. That being said, Joe Thomas will be our starting LT next year in exchange for pick(s). #BookIt

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Don't worry, we already have our eye on a couple Lacrosse and Jai Alai players that'll go undrafted who'll fit perfectly at both tackle spots next year.

Foghawk

Reaction score
jhern87":fdukje6u said:
Why would he say anything different? As many have said it only hurts negotiation leverage and he'd be dumb to say anything to hurt his O-line's confidence. That being said, Joe Thomas will be our starting LT next year in exchange for pick(s). #BookIt

This is the equivalent of saying Jon Gruden is a candidate for a HC position, but I sure hope you're correct!

:2thumbs:

Jville

Reaction score
Clearly, Carroll doesn't believe that going out and trying to buy an offensive line is a viable method. So building a better offensive line will continue as a work in progress .... with internal upgrades. We'll see some new faces. They need 14 to 15 offensive linemen for camp.

iu

Can't wait to see and hear about new competitors for 2017. :229031_victory:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Their stubborn crap is getting old and tired. Not only do they need to upgrade it, they need to sign TWO Tackles, and at the MINIMUM, one of those better be a vet LT.

chris98251

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1f36xulv said:
Their stubborn crap is getting old and tired. Not only do they need to upgrade it, they need to sign TWO Tackles, and at the MINIMUM, one of those better be a vet LT.

Why, we have enough tackles playing guard now.

sutz

Reaction score
Meh, Carroll isn't going to say much now that would telegraph their off season plans. :229031_shrug:

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
sutz":35uugaoi said:
Meh, Carroll isn't going to say much now that would telegraph their off season plans. :229031_shrug:

He has though. He has said that he is encouraged with the OLines progression and the team will not see any drastic changes during free agency.

razor150

Reaction score
chris98251":3fvh99bv said:
SoulfishHawk":3fvh99bv said:

Why, we have enough tackles playing guard now.

But those guys have enough trouble just playing guard...

Latest posts