Can we expect a serious roster shake up for 2022 ?

Chawker

Reaction score
Can anybody put there finger on the one outstanding problem the Seahawks enduro this season ? No you can't. Nobody can agree on one clear thing.

RBs are to fragile, Lack of pass rush, a swing gate defense. It come down to a major roster shake up. We'll have about 45 million to spend this off season and if we get rid of some aging player like Wagner and Brown we'll have 65 million to spend.

I don't know what its going to take to turn things around for 2022 but, this team needs to be built thur the draft.

Cheers

toffee

Reaction score
On offense:
Penny, he is that little bright spot; he shall be our RB of 2022.
Jake Curhan's the other, it looked like he could be our future RT, sure inspired more confidence than Ifedi ever did.
Gerald Everett, seems to be decent, if not a star in the making.

On defense:
Our CB combo of Tre Brown and DJ Reed seems to be more than adequate, Sidney Jones could be a good backup.
Darrell Taylor flashed a bit.
The getting off the field remains a problem, improvement on stopping 3rd down conversion was disappointing.

I am of the opinion that If Russell was just a bit more accurate this season, we will be in the hunt for that wildcard right now. Same goes for next season, if we keep the roster and make progressive improvements, even baby step ones, we shall be in the playoff.

justafan

Reaction score
The D needs big changes. IMO.The only D stat I cared about was points allowed. This D changed my mind.They need major upgrades in team speed and aggessiveness. We need the Wags cap space to do that. Teams ate him alive. Too many guys standing around watching and not swarming.Cut him and Meyers and we save over 20 mil. Can we afford to pay Diggs the same as Adams? I hate paying a S like CBs unless they are true game changers. They are good but not like having a top notch CB.

The LBs we have drafted prior to Brooks have underwhelmed so unless we hit in the draft we need to find one in FA.

Thd Oline is freeing up money with Shell and Pocic but we need to resign Brown or find an answer for LT. Hopefully they resign Everett. I dont think they can afford paying DK in the future along with Locketts contract. I would trade him for picks or a lineman on either side of the ball.
RB is i big if.We save 3 mil if we cut Carson but he still has 3 mil against the cap.
we could see 15 or 20 new faces next year.

keasley45

Reaction score
I dont see why we need a drastic roster shakeup.

If you take away the injury factor, our season failed in three areas, and those three areas contributed to systemic failure across the board.

Interior offensive line

Interior defensive line

Ability of the QB to run a timing offense.

Those are the positional areas that look like they need improvement. Of the 3, only our QB has the potential for improvement without bringing in better talent, and whether in year 11 he can change his stripes remains to be seen.

CB - came into their own this year before injuries took them out. Brown is a future star.

LB - could use someone opposite Brooks but that becomes less an issue with better Dline play. Wags is a HOFer and Brooks is a star.

DL - Poona and Woods are keepers but that's about it. We need obvious help here.

Safety - there isn't a better duo in the league.

On offense

WR - no weakness there
RB - only question is health. And anybody we sign could end up as injured as who we have. So not really a weakness
TE - Everett is a straight baller. Dissly had a couple of drops but he's solid as well
Online- in my opinion, we need a star at center. We have that and the whole line functions better. We have aging pieces in Brown, and injuries hit the line a good bit this year as well, so it's hard to say exactly what their high water mark is.

Schematically on Offense : the ball needs to be delivered on time and go to the open guy every play. It's hard to call for the complete turnover of an offense that routinely left first downs and touchdowns on the field every week. That shows that it works but just isn't being run properly ... and that starts at the QB position. Get better Interior line play, and that will help some, but whoever is behind center next year needs to be able to consistently take the plays that are there and play situational ball.

Schematically on defense :

It's all about the D line. When we don't have a pass rush, we have a group that can limit points because the scheme is solid when they aren't forced to ccover the whole field for 5 seconds every play. Get a passrush that can disrupt the opposing qbs timing and you will see drastic improvement.

Blowing up a roster with the pieces we have now would in my opinion be foolish. We need smart acquisitions in what now seem to be obvious areas of need. I think the FO went into the season hoping for better play from a no-name d-line, given the investment they made in bringing Adams on and likely mo ey they were saving to make necessary signings this year. It worked well enough before our CBS went down and was probably good enough to get us into the post season, but ultimately proved to be a gamble that didn't pay off. Every team has them every year..

sutz

Reaction score
Somehow I doubt that it will be as drastic as some around here want. :snack:

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
keasley45":2g910m1t said:

If you take away the injury factor, our season failed in three areas, and those three areas contributed to systemic failure across the board.

Interior offensive line

Interior defensive line

Those are the positional areas that look like they need improvement. Of the 3, only our QB has the potential for improvement without bringing in better talent, and whether in year 11 he can change his stripes remains to be seen.

CB - came into their own this year before injuries took them out. Brown is a future star.

LB - could use someone opposite Brooks but that becomes less an issue with better Dline play. Wags is a HOFer and Brooks is a star.

DL - Poona and Woods are keepers but that's about it. We need obvious help here.

On offense

WR - no weakness there
RB - only question is health. And anybody we sign could end up as injured as who we have. So not really a weakness
TE - Everett is a straight baller. Dissly had a couple of drops but he's solid as well
Online- in my opinion, we need a star at center. We have that and the whole line functions better. We have aging pieces in Brown, and injuries hit the line a good bit this year as well, so it's hard to say exactly what their high water mark is.

Schematically on Offense : the ball needs to be delivered on time and go to the open guy every play. It's hard to call for the complete turnover of an offense that routinely left first downs and touchdowns on the field every week. That shows that it works but just isn't being run properly ... and that starts at the QB position. Get better Interior line play, and that will help some, but whoever is behind center next year needs to be able to consistently take the plays that are there and play situational ball.

It's all about the D line. When we don't have a pass rush, we have a group that can limit points because the scheme is solid when they aren't forced to ccover the whole field for 5 seconds every play. Get a passrush that can disrupt the opposing qbs timing and you will see drastic improvement.

Blowing up a roster with the pieces we have now would in my opinion be foolish. We need smart acquisitions in what now seem to be obvious areas of need. I think the FO went into the season hoping for better play from a no-name d-line, given the investment they made in bringing Adams on and likely mo ey they were saving to make necessary signings this year. It worked well enough before our CBS went down and was probably good enough to get us into the post season, but ultimately proved to be a gamble that didn't pay off. Every team has them every year..

Nice Post.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
It’s not any one thing.

If it’s just one thing, we wouldn’t as fans be so upset.

It is a collection of issues that has not been fixed over the years.

Please see my examples:

1. Bad drafts
2. Trading picks
3. Continuously being outcoached
4. Dysfunction between coach and QB
5. QB expressing desire to be traded to four teams
6. QB throwing offensive line under the bus
7. Coach keeps hiring new OC
8. Defense and offense never having good games together
9. Slow starts
10. QB hurt
11. QB comes back and does not seem to be on page with team
12. Head coach does not believe there are any issues with his system

You can’t pin point one problem because there are more than one single problem.

The losing teams usually have a lot of problems.

And there’s where the current Seattle Seahawks find themselves.

It can be a crossroads for the franchise.

The owner can decide which way she wants to go and ultimately she is responsible for the direction and whereabouts of the team.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
We need to improve what FAs we sign. Hyder and Mayowa have done nothing all year.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The entire roster is a mess.

Of course, we have to fix the roster, half the roster is built to play one way - half another.

(Whether we can fix it, is an issue)

If we keep Pete, which looks like the most likely outcome, we can expect the following regarding our roster:

The current roster does not work for how our aging HC wants to play the game. Which will be interesting because our aging HC probably does not last another 3 years.

We very likely are losing our starting QB, which has its own roster implications.

The reality is that almost every player on this roster and added over the next 2 years, probably will not be here in 4-5. Which is about the time we start at least being over .500 again and maybe making it back to the playoffs.

This is kind of that in-between time where we tread water, hope to stay competitive, and desperately try to fix leaks in our sinking ship before rip it all down and start over. That takes a few years, especially if we lose a few years treading water.

justafan

Reaction score
One thing I loved about Pete and John at the beginning was roster churn. Nobodies job was guarranteed.

LTH

Reaction score
I think the cornerback position has been a thorn for Seattle for a while. This year Injury's in the secondary have been horrific. As well, getting the D line to perform early in the season has been an issue for the last two years at least.

Offensively they could use more help on the O line but again this unit never really was healthy enough to create the continuity to grow together so that has been an issue as well. I don't believe they are as bad as what people are saying.

Injuries at running back is killing this team... and has cost this team a couple of wins.

There are some dynamics at the QB position that are not settled... I think this year the hawks need to find some competition for Russ. They need to draft a good young QB for the future some body to push Russ. I think they need to spend a high draft pick to do it with.

I'm one of the few that don't see this team being far off from where Carroll wants to be. I actually think this team across the board, was a better team then last year with the exception of QB play and RB play... almost all the losses were between 3 and 7 points in which last year they were winning those games.

I don't see any major shake ups happening other than i think it's possible that a major player could get traded.

I don't see a head coaching change, I don't see a D or O coordinator change.

I think they need a really good draft this year with players that can contribute. specifically at QB, corner, OL and D line

LTH

olyfan63

Reaction score
keasley45":1enkdxac said:

Interior offensive line

Interior defensive line

On offense

WR - no weakness there

I expect that's how Pete sees it. He tried to make the highly-paid franchise QB approach work, and once Russell Wilson and the recipe to stop him got figured out by the rest of the NFL, no more multi-win playoff runs. It doesn't really show up as a serious problem until the postseason, because only teams with good pass rush and smart DCs and cover guys can actually stop Russell from working his magic. Russell's normal QB Superpowers along with an average defense and average run game are good for 10 wins/season, +/-2 wins. Even with normal/good Russell this season, at most he turns 3-4 narrow L's into W's, and we're at 9-6 or even 10-5, but still on track for a quick playoff exit like last year, not making it past Divisional round.

I think Pete looks at it from the standpoint that he needs to get back to his SB-winning earlier formula:

1) Build another elite "eraser" defense, that erases ineffectiveness by the offense. That elite "eraser" defense was on full display in the 2014 NFCCG where the D had to erase 5 turnovers by the offense, and held Green Bay to FGs instead of TDs after the 1st quarter. That D played well enough to win SB49 in the following game, but depth at CB got exploited after Jeremy Lane went down with a blown knee and arm after picking off Brady.

2) Pete also wants to again have a big-time run game that keeps defenses honest and is a *threat* to move down the field and score without a single pass.

3) A roster loaded with players massively outplaying their contracts: Both the 2013 and the 2014 squads had a ton of young guys who massively outplayed their contracts, including a younger Russell Wilson, Richard Sherman, Bobby Wagner, Kam, JR Sweezy, Alvin Bailey, Doug Baldwin, Golden Tate, Darren Smith, and more. It freed up cash to pay irreplaceable talents like Cliff Avril, Lynch, Bennett.

Continuing to pay Russell elite top 5 money for non-elite performance limits the ability to build and pay a talented-enough roster. I'd expect Pete's viewpoint to be that he's tried the pay-the-QB approach with Russell long enough to know it's not working and it's time to try a different approach, so why not go back to the formula that won a Lombardi? The alternative is for Russell Wilson to change his stripes to become proficient at running a timing-based offense. I suspect there has been a "willingness" problem on Russell's part to make the needed changes for the offense that Shane Waldron has tried to bring in. I could see the Hawks giving Russell one more year, but IMO the odds are against it.

I expect a significant roster shake-up, and an effort to try to bring in a lot of promising young players who have a shot to massively outplay their contracts. This would argue for trading Wilson for several draft picks, and maybe including player(s) in the trade to even out the salary cap hit.

So I expect this offseason to bring the most roster changes in a long time for the Seahawks, and for the team to get significantly younger. Just hope they draft well.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Did you mean Malcolm Smith? Darrin Smith was late 90s I think. Doesnt take away from your point, just wondering.

chris98251

Reaction score
LTH":1ishgwpa said:
I think the cornerback position has been a thorn for Seattle for a while. This year Injury's in the secondary have been horrific. As well, getting the D line to perform early in the season has been an issue for the last two years at least.

Offensively they could use more help on the O line but again this unit never really was healthy enough to create the continuity to grow together so that has been an issue as well. I don't believe they are as bad as what people are saying.

Injuries at running back is killing this team... and has cost this team a couple of wins.

There are some dynamics at the QB position that are not settled... I think this year the hawks need to find some competition for Russ. They need to draft a good young QB for the future some body to push Russ. I think they need to spend a high draft pick to do it with.

I'm one of the few that don't see this team being far off from where Carroll wants to be. I actually think this team across the board, was a better team then last year with the exception of QB play and RB play... almost all the losses were between 3 and 7 points in which last year they were winning those games.

I don't see any major shake ups happening other than i think it's possible that a major player could get traded.

I think they need a really good draft this year with players that can contribute. specifically at QB, corner, OL and D line

LTH

So high pick like Brady, Montana, Wilson, Rodgers all were..................... Problem with many fans and GM's for that matter is that they buy the hype machine of agents, broadcasters, and Pundits, I have always tried to look at why a guy has such great numbers and what he has done to have that it factor that makes everything around him better.

Many high rounders are in a Conference and or on a team that has an NFL roster against average college teams, others in system designed for pure passing and their numbers show up but put them in another and they fail, I would like to see a guy that is more than a one-year splash in the pan, someone that has had to play against teams and make a difference for his team that had to raise their game on occasion. These guys may not be on a winning team all the time but can show up with a better team around them and or system, or play well in any system.

Getting a win from the jaws of defeat type QB's shows heart and ability to get everyone's game to another level and not collapse under pressure and a stage. Patience and observing more than just stats is needed.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It is a matter of risk vs opportunity.

Pete is never going to another playoff game, not as HC.

But he will keep you from dropping into the toilet.

Keeping Wilson might be a tremendously expensive investment that does not pan out. But if he can be effective again, you might get a playoff team again, maybe even a few more deep runs in the playoffs.

Maybe 30-40% chance it succeed though.

Which one would you rather take a chance on.

LTH

Reaction score
chris98251":3a4d6d5v said:
LTH":3a4d6d5v said:

LTH

So high pick like Brady, Montana, Wilson, Rodgers all were..................... Problem with many fans and GM's for that matter is that they buy the hype machine of agents, broadcasters, and Pundits, I have always tried to look at why a guy has such great numbers and what he has done to have that it factor that makes everything around him better.

Many high rounders are in a Conference and or on a team that has an NFL roster against average college teams, others in system designed for pure passing and their numbers show up but put them in another and they fail, I would like to see a guy that is more than a one-year splash in the pan, someone that has had to play against teams and make a difference for his team that had to raise their game on occasion. These guys may not be on a winning team all the time but can show up with a better team around them and or system, or play well in any system.

Getting a win from the jaws of defeat type QB's shows heart and ability to get everyone's game to another level and not collapse under pressure and a stage. Patience and observing more than just stats is needed.

I think Most High draft picks fail because they are expected to do more than they are capable of doing...Poor coaching. Rodgers learned behind Farve. Montana had the luxury of Bill Walsh and Mike Holmgren. Brady didn't start right away and had a great coach behind Bill Belichick. Steve young was behind Montana and had the luxury of great coaching..

Chances are they will not find a QB that will push Wilson below the first 3 rounds if they find one at all.

LTH

toffee

Reaction score
keasley45":1gmxcpog said:

Interior offensive line

Interior defensive line

On offense

WR - no weakness there

Say Russell leaves for another team, who would you like QB our team?

keasley45

Reaction score
toffee":2rsvnals said:
keasley45":2rsvnals said:

Interior offensive line

Interior defensive line

On offense

WR - no weakness there

I dont know that there's a guy that I'd say I 'like' to follow on the heals of Russ. But here are a couple of new starters and backups that have flashed potential that I could see taking a flier on.

Mills in Houston - but don't know how we'd acquire him. He's shown promise. Smart guy. Great command and poise.

Huntley in Baltimore has shown an arguably better ability to run the Ravens offense than Lamar. He's mobile and looks to pass before running.

White with the Jets. His last outing against the Bills was bad but the entire team was awful that day and it looked Ike he was trying to do too much. Prior to that, he showed really good leadership, was excellent at taking what defenses gave him, and doesn't have a bad arm.

All of the above I'd take a chance on, not expecting them to necessarily be the next guy. But low risk, high reward gambles. We could Iikely get them cheap and if things didn't work, hit the '23 draft for a franchise type rook - assuming we plan for that anyway in whatever picks we get for Russ.

I wouldn't touch Jones in NY or anyone currently on the Broncos roster.

Also wouldn't take any of the Saints offerings.

Obviously if D Watson's legal troubles look to be clearing, he's a no Brainerd, assuming his head is screwed on straight and he's motivated to pick up where he left off ... on the field.

LTH

Reaction score
keasley45":1yo4r38u said:
toffee":1yo4r38u said:
keasley45":1yo4r38u said:

Interior offensive line

Interior defensive line

On offense

WR - no weakness there

I dont know that there's a guy that I'd say I 'like' to follow on the heals of Russ. But here are a couple of new starters and backups that have flashed potential that I could see taking a flier on.

Mills in Houston - but don't know how we'd acquire him. He's shown promise. Smart guy. Great command and poise.

Huntley in Baltimore has shown an arguably better ability to run the Ravens offense than Lamar. He's mobile and looks to pass before running.

White with the Jets. His last outing against the Bills was bad but the entire team was awful that day and it looked Ike he was trying to do too much. Prior to that, he showed really good leadership, was excellent at taking what defenses gave him, and doesn't have a bad arm.

All of the above I'd take a chance on, not expecting them to necessarily be the next guy. But low risk, high reward gambles. We could Iikely get them cheap and if things didn't work, hit the '23 draft for a franchise type rook - assuming we plan for that anyway in whatever picks we get for Russ.

I wouldn't touch Jones in NY or anyone currently on the Broncos roster.

Also wouldn't take any of the Saints offerings.

I would be ok with Mills keeping Wilson... I wonder what it would take to get him?

Mills was selected in the third round with the 67th overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft by the Houston Texans.
Mills signed his four-year rookie contract, worth $5.2 million, with the Texans on May 26, 2021.

LTH

Latest posts