Can our team overcome the massive amounts of travel?

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2lmv31a0 said:
Sarlacc83":2lmv31a0 said:
It's psychosomatic in the sense you have an internal clock. This is why if you go to a different time zone, you're going to be hungry at a different hour, usually the one which corresponds to your normal eating time back home. In the same way, your sleep schedule gets disrupted, which is why when I go back to the Midwest I generally am really awake at 11PM. Because my normal bedtime is 10PM PST, so I'm not sleepy for another 2 hours. However, it's a real thing and it's not just mind over matter. Your body is 'tuned' and all the more for an athlete.

Different from staying up until 1am instead of 10pm on a Friday night and sleeping in Saturday morning how?

Because they aren't sleeping in on Sunday morning but getting up earlier? This isn't rocket science. If you can't get to sleep until 1AM (or midnight if you're lucky) due to your internal clock being off, it's not going to make it easier to get up in the morning at 8AM in one timezone since it's 5AM in yours. Don't be thick.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sarlacc, you're the one being thick. Again, let me reiterate; I'm not saying there isn't a body clock adjustment, I'm saying that for those that let it bother them, it's psychosomatic. I stayed up later than usual last night and got 5 hours of sleep instead of my usual 6.5. I feel fine. I'm not letting it affect me because it's a minor point. Was it a little harder to get up this morning? Yes. I wanted to ignore my alarm. You can totally overcome something like that if you want to. The subconscious is way more powerful than a lot of people think, or realize. If flying 3 time zones screws with you in a major and very noticeable way, you are mentally weak about it. A 3-hour difference, give me a break. Yeah, when I've flown to Miami or Orlando , you go to sleep later that night than usual. So what, people stay up hours later than usual on Friday or Saturday nights all the time and plenty of those times they don't sleep in to compensate for it. If it's a chronic thing you do, that's different; i.e., 4 consecutive nights of 4 hours of sleep, or something. However, that's obviously not the case when you're flying across 3 time zones. Unless you fly back and forth from coast to coast every day, lol.

You can see evidence of this with our own damn football team. Can you win a game in the 1st quarter? No. Even though we finished the 1st quarter down 14-0, and that would have been a GUARANTEED LOSS OF THE GAME any year of the Mike Holmgren era. What, do you think we all of a sudden drafted players that are immune to travel effects? Hmmm, perhaps Carroll saw Irvin work out before the draft and went "I'll be damned, now there's a guy who can cross three time zones and not bat an eye!" Yeah, right. This team now travels well because they are mentally TOUGH and that's an aspect instilled from the head coach on down the line. You see proof in front of your own eyes, and choose to ignore it. It boggles my mind that anybody can honestly think not travelling to a 3-hour difference well isn't almost entirely in the mind. Is there a body clock adjustment? Damned right. Do you have to let it affect you in any noticeable or appreciable way? Hellz to the no!

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":rxbcmc4z said:
Sarlacc, you're the one being thick. Again, let me reiterate; I'm not saying there isn't a body clock adjustment, I'm saying that for those that let it bother them, it's psychosomatic. I stayed up later than usual last night and got 5 hours of sleep instead of my usual 6.5. I feel fine. I'm not letting it affect me because it's a minor point. Was it a little harder to get up this morning? Yes. I wanted to ignore my alarm. You can totally overcome something like that if you want to. The subconscious is way more powerful than a lot of people think, or realize. If flying 3 time zones screws with you in a major and very noticeable way, you are mentally weak about it. A 3-hour difference, give me a break. Yeah, when I've flown to Miami or Orlando , you go to sleep later that night than usual. So what, people stay up hours later than usual on Friday or Saturday nights all the time and plenty of those times they don't sleep in to compensate for it. If it's a chronic thing you do, that's different; i.e., 4 consecutive nights of 4 hours of sleep, or something. However, that's obviously not the case when you're flying across 3 time zones. Unless you fly back and forth from coast to coast every day, lol.

You just made my point for me right there. In order to overcome the body's natural clock, you had to make a psychosomatic adjustment.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":312faymj said:
You just made my point for me right there. In order to overcome the body's natural clock, you had to make a psychosomatic adjustment.

Give break, that's like saying to overcome life, you have to work for a living. Our bodies make adjustments every single day. You adjust to interrupting your REM sleep when you have to get up to take an unexpected piss at 3am, you adjust to staying up later than usual sometimes, you adjust to having to wake up earlier than usual sometimes, etc. This isn't some fictitious world in a book or a movie where everything always stays the same. The human body is constantly making adjustments to a million things every moment of your whole life.

Seattle_Stunna_MD

Reaction score
On and on and on we go w/ this body clock/time change/jet lag discussion. Entertaining to say the least ;)

If we come out prepared and execute our mission, we will win.

Forget all the time lag crap and statistics. If its our time, it will be our day.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Even Carroll mentioned this in his presser yesterday, all the travel talk is overrated.

The team flies in first class conditions, gets privately bussed to and from the hotel, has an entire day before the game to relax and acclimate to the time change.

If we lose, it will not be because of travel.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Well were gonna have to our we are gonna be run out of the building. We cannot have any excuses come Sunday versus the Falcons.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3olm8o7p said:
Sarlacc83":3olm8o7p said:

Give break, that's like saying to overcome life, you have to work for a living. Our bodies make adjustments every single day. You adjust to interrupting your REM sleep when you have to get up to take an unexpected piss at 3am, you adjust to staying up later than usual sometimes, you adjust to having to wake up earlier than usual sometimes, etc. This isn't some fictitious world in a book or a movie where everything always stays the same. The human body is constantly making adjustments to a million things every moment of your whole life.
Roland, if it's that F'ing simple, then why do west coast teams playing 10 am games only win 22% of the time. There's a clear correlation. You can't argue it. Well, obviously YOU can, but you're not going to win. Science backs up that you're wrong.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
falcongoggles":13ihwmk4 said:
Reading fans' reasoning for why the Seahawks will lose, everyone sights the travel time. Multiple, multiple Atlanta fans are banking on it.

After reflecting on it for a moment, I'm agreeing that it will have an effect. We just hauled our team all the way to the East Coast and the NFL hits us with the AM game for compensation. Logistically loading everyone up, transit time to airports, plus the flights probably adds up to over 24 hours. I know great teams win regardless, but I'm thinking this has to be worth at least a handful of points, if not more, against our chances to win.
Yeah, the Seahawks players will probably not sleep at all on the plane trip, and so they will be tired by the time they hit the stadium,,Probably have to get a cart ride out onto the field where PC wll be laying in a Seahawks Blue Hammock and everything :16:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3kp5hqp8 said:
Roland, if it's that F'ing simple, then why do west coast teams playing 10 am games only win 22% of the time. There's a clear correlation. You can't argue it. Well, obviously YOU can, but you're not going to win. Science backs up that you're wrong.

Cause it's hard to win on the road in the NFL period. East coast teams coming west don't fair much better, I think around 30% win percentage.

Is it a factor? Sure, but I'd say it's only about 10% of the equation in determining if the Hawks are going to win this weekend. Run game, a QB that protects the ball and a nasty defense is the best remedy there is for overcoming our road woes.

SeahawksForever

Reaction score
These are grown men! And it's not really a 10am game, it's a 1pm game. I refuse to accept that a team that prepares like the Seahawks will really let 3 hours be the difference between winning and losing. Does it affect them? Sure. Enough to make the difference between winning and losing? I really doubt it.

If we lose, you won't hear me say it was because of a 3 hour time difference.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":t1ozhgy2 said:

Science doesn't back your point of view, you don't know how to interpret the science as regards to this, from what I can tell. Mentally weak team like the Seahawks for a long time, always losing 10am road games; Seahawks playing much tougher football physically and mentally, not having as much the same problem. I also said I think it was the 10am aspect more than anything else. When a player has to get up at 6am to make a 10am game or whatever and they normally sleep in until say, 8am, that's going to make more of a difference than which state they're playing in. As in, you'd see a softer team losing 10am games at HOME without even having to fly, too.

FalconsNation

Reaction score
Travel is an issue for teams in the regular season I think. This is the playoffs! the Seahawks will have no trouble getting up for a playoff game, and travel will not be the reason why they lose. That being said, I would have flyed straight to Atlanta and practiced there all week instead of going back and forth.

mikeak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1kr06p4c said:
SalishHawkFan":1kr06p4c said:

Cause it's hard to win on the road in the NFL period. East coast teams coming west don't fair much better, I think around 30% win percentage.

Good point - they won't lose because it is a 10am game to them they will just lose because the game is on the road.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":vb9270ij said:
Sgt. Largent":vb9270ij said:
...Is it a factor? Sure...

Yay, argument over. Because this is pretty much all the "body clock" side of the discussion has been saying.

Guess you left out the part where I said it's probably only about 10% of the equation for winning. While you're at it throw in upset tummy and did they get a good nighty night sleep.

Playoffs = no excuses.

OP
OP
falcongoggles

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3apkhiya said:
VivaEfrenHerrera":3apkhiya said:
Sgt. Largent":3apkhiya said:
...Is it a factor? Sure...

Yay, argument over. Because this is pretty much all the "body clock" side of the discussion has been saying.

Guess you left out the part where I said it's probably only about 10% of the equation for winning. While you're at it throw in upset tummy and did they get a good nighty night sleep.

Playoffs = no excuses.

10% makes all the difference between two evenly matched teams. Was I saying it was 100% - no. Spotting the team 10%, like you say, is a BFD. I think it will have an effect, but won't be on here after the game saying that it was the root cause if we are to lose.

Roland says being jet lagged it's all made up, because people are weak. Got it, thanks for the lesson professor. Strange being that when we fly our jets to Afghanistan we have to spend a day in Spain to make sure our body clocks aren't jacked up and we won't commit fatal errors with fine muscle movements and decision making. In fact, in 2009 when there was multi-million dollar aircraft accident that resulted in airplane going off the end of the runway they followed it back to pilot error. The root cause was pilot fatigue caused by time zone changes. They said that even with four days of adjustment he was flying with reduced capabilities equivalent to a .10 blood alcohol level. But sure, with a bunch of finely tuned athletes playing a game that requires concentration and perfect body control (driving people to even take Adderall to boost said concentration) it can all be overcome perfectly if only they are as strong and awesome as some of you guys.

mikeak

Reaction score
^ darn thought you were onto something with the adderall then realized the tests were after the Cowboys game that was at home......

Latest posts