Can anyone explain this intriguing concept (Seahawks +)

CanuckSeaHawk

Reaction score
Why is it in the first half, and sometimes well into the second half one team will totally dominate, shutting down the other team only to either blow it and lose the game or narrowly escape?

Examples

NFC final Seahawks vs Green Bay, Parker’s totally shit down Seahawks for 56 minutes only to lose the game

NFC semifinal Seahawks vs Carolina. Panthers lead 31 -0 at the half. In the second half Seahawks shut them down, scored
24 points and came close to tying the game

Sunday. The 49 ers stalled our offence in the first half but in the second half the Sea Hawks broke out with both the running and passing game and came within inches of winning

In October the Sea Hawks had a huge half time lead on the Falcons and escaped the second half with a total turnaround
By Atlanta

John63

Reaction score
CanuckSeaHawk":22a2ggl3 said:
Why is it in the first half, and sometimes well into the second half one team will totally dominate, shutting down the other team only to either blow it and lose the game or narrowly escape?

Examples

NFC final Seahawks vs Green Bay, Parker’s totally $h!t down Seahawks for 56 minutes only to lose the game

NFC semifinal Seahawks vs Carolina. Panthers lead 31 -0 at the half. In the second half Seahawks shut them down, scored

Sunday. The 49 ers stalled our offence in the first half but in the second half the Sea Hawks broke out with both the running and passing game and came within inches of winning

In October the Sea Hawks had a huge half time lead on the Falcons and escaped the second half with a total turnaround
By Atlanta

Adjustments or tendencies are usually the answer. Example for us we decided to wait till after half time to going to movement and tempo changing even though we know it always works.

IN the game were we let them back in, it is because that is how PC plays his tendencies to play it close. If we get the lead he is fine with sitting on it, rather than extending it. Because of this he waits to start trying to score again, sometimes too late sometimes not.

getnasty

Reaction score
If somebody could come up with our points per possession in the first half compared to the second half i will give them a dollar. I bet it nit as crazy as you would think.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
John63":2frrjd28 said:
CanuckSeaHawk":2frrjd28 said:

Examples

NFC final Seahawks vs Green Bay, Parker’s totally $h!t down Seahawks for 56 minutes only to lose the game

By Atlanta

Adjustments or tendencies are usually the answer. Example for us we decided to wait till after half time to going to movement and tempo changing even though we know it always works.

IN the game were we let them back in, it is because that is how PC plays his tendencies to play it close. If we get the lead he is fine with sitting on it, rather than extending it. Because of this he waits to start trying to score again, sometimes too late sometimes not.
I never noticed how arrogant that kind of thinking is. He's fine with whatever lead, whether that's a few points or a touchdown and just sits on it until the other team eventually gets back into it and the Seahawks have to play catch up. That, as we've seen, can just bite you in the ass because in a way you're always playing down on your opponent which should never be the case.

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
This goes back to Pete’s SC days. Pete has had teams that blow teams out. The 2012 team I think went on that stretch of 3-4 games and just dominated the other teams

John63

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":2qmjx4fc said:
John63":2qmjx4fc said:
CanuckSeaHawk":2qmjx4fc said:

Examples

By Atlanta

I never noticed how arrogant that kind of thinking is. He's fine with whatever lead, whether that's a few points or a touchdown and just sits on it until the other team eventually gets back into it and the Seahawks have to play catch up. That, as we've seen, can just bite you in the ass because in a way you're always playing down on your opponent which should never be the case.

PC said he likes to keep in close and win in the end. What more do you need to know.

JGreen79

Reaction score
getnasty":2v1krc50 said:
If somebody could come up with our points per possession in the first half compared to the second half i will give them a dollar. I bet it nit as crazy as you would think.

First half Drives = 91
Second Half Drives = 99

First Half Points per Drive = 1.90
Second Half Points per Drive = 2.13

First Half Plays per Drive = 5.58
Second Half Plays per Drive = 5.62

First Half Yards per Drive = 32.16
Second Half Yards per Drive = 30.80

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
JGreen79":7h1p5jqg said:
getnasty":7h1p5jqg said:

First half Drives = 91
Second Half Drives = 99

That looks more like $4 worth.

Tip him a $1 and make it an even $5-er.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
CanuckSeaHawk":23tx3flx said:

A combination of two things:

1) Small sample size. Good drives and bad drives usually come down to a handful of plays, and we're talking six possessions or so per half, so there is just a TON of random variance in this. Any time a score is lopsided at half time, purely out of random variance we should expect the second half to be less lopsided than the first.

2) Strategy. The goal is to win, not to win by the most points. This is why it's fun to look at the win probability graphs over the course of games. Oftentimes you'll see a losing team march down the field for a touchdown, and their win probability is decreasing as they go, as time is more valuable than yards on their long drive. It's why when up two or three scores defenses leave the short middle of the field open for halfback passes -- 8 yards of advancement in exchange for a minute off the clock is MAJORLY in favor of the defense.

JGreen79":23tx3flx said:
First half Drives = 91
Second Half Drives = 99

Great reminder of the difference between perception and reality. Assuming 6 drives per half we're talking the difference of a little more than one point between the first and second half.

getnasty

Reaction score
JGreen79

Thanks buddy that really good work and i offically owe you $1. These numbers were a lot closer then i tought but i had a feeling they wouldn't be to far off.

Latest posts