C.J. Stroud

Rat

Reaction score
Until yesterday, Russ' playoff game against Atlanta was the all-time best game for a rookie QB based on whatever DYAR is.

GemCity

Reaction score
Couldn't believe that Carolina was so eager to take Young.
Same. I wasn’t all the way convinced that he would be struggling per say…but, I felt that Stroud was the better QB.

As I live in Dayton and am a Buckeyes fan, it’s hard not to be biased.

No doubt that Strouds the real deal though!

NoGain

Reaction score
From what I saw, Stroud was the best pure passer in the draft last year by a margin. The only concern was that he rarely ever got tested by a good defense that put him under duress. Then came these weird little whispers right before the draft having something to do with him as a person which threatened to move him a bit more down the draft board. Houston proved wise to ignore such things, as they were wise to ignore concerns that were being raised about Will Anderson.

It looks like they have something to work with for years to come. I'm starting to get envious of teams that have drafted good young QB's in the draft while we chose to take a pass on it in recent years. Our cupboard is still bare in that regard.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
It's an open secret in the NFL that Tepper wanted Young and Reich wanted Stroud. Reich said so himself in a press conference recently.

Yeah I saw this.

Not only is BY short, he's also very SLIGHT..light in the ass, if you will. Russ is short, as is Kyler, but they are dense...stocky. Especially Russ.

On top of all that, I don't even necessarily like the way that Bryce walks/carries himself. He looks like a damn 7th grade boy whose nuts haven't dropped...and like he hasn't hit puberty yet. And that's not hindsight talking, either.

Yeah, MASSIVE whiff by Tepper. 🥴

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
The only concern was that he rarely ever got tested by a good defense that put him under duress.
He eased those concerns with his performance against Georgia. That's when I knew Stroud wasn't just another Ohio St. QB. Georgia's defense had been absolutely suffocating that season, just look at what they did to Tennessee, and Stroud put up 42 on them and if not for OSU's defense giving up that last GW TD, he would've been in the national championship game and would've definitely won that game against TCU.

Jac

Reaction score
Yeah I saw this.

Not only is BY short, he's also very SLIGHT..light in the ass, if you will. Russ is short, as is Kyler, but they are dense...stocky. Especially Russ.

On top of all that, I don't even necessarily like the way that Bryce walks/carries himself. He looks like a damn 7th grade boy whose nuts haven't dropped...and like he hasn't hit puberty yet. And that's not hindsight talking, either.

Yeah, MASSIVE whiff by Tepper. 🥴
I think we caught lightning in a bottle a bit with Wilson. The read option was new, and his elusiveness in the backfield was "Madden 99 rating" elite. I just don't see how Bryce Young can have sustained success in the NFL at his height. It's always going to be a serious limitation on what they can do on offense. I think if Wilson ushered in the era of short QB's being acceptable, then Young is working hard to usher it back out for good.

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
Remember how many people said that Lovie screwed the Texans over for years with that “meaningless” season ending win at the Colts? Hell, I may have been one of them. History will be the ultimate judge, but so far it’s looking like Mr. Smith got them the right guy AND even saved them a few million. Hindsight can be a funny thing.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Good for Houston. That team has had enough drama w/QB's, looks like they hit this one out of the park.
Meanwhile, in Carolina...........

It's still early on, but SO FAR Houston looks like they got a ringer.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Remember how many people said that Lovie screwed the Texans over for years with that “meaningless” season ending win at the Colts? Hell, I may have been one of them. History will be the ultimate judge, but so far it’s looking like Mr. Smith got them the right guy AND even saved them a few million. Hindsight can be a funny thing.
When the Hawks drafted Rick Mirer, they just happened to beat the Patriots that previous season. Which ended up giving the Pats the #1 pick, they took Bledsoe. Both teams ended up 2-14 in 1992, so we got the #2 pick since we beat them head-to-head.

Had we lost that game, it would have been interesting to see if the Hawks would have taken Bledsoe instead at #1. It clearly would have changed the entire history of this franchise.

Side note, it sure made it easy to get my season tickets in 1993. "Plenty of good seats still available" :ROFLMAO:

Of course, the Hawks flipped Mirer later for a 1st rounder, talk about a fleecing. He was traded to the Bears in 1997 and played in 3 games I believe. And didn't win a single one of them. And.......was released at the end of the season. Ouch.

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
When the Hawks drafted Rick Mirer, they just happened to beat the Patriots that previous season. Which ended up giving the Pats the #1 pick, they took Bledsoe. Both teams ended up 2-14 in 1992, so we got the #2 pick since we beat them head-to-head.

Had we lost that game, it would have been interesting to see if the Hawks would have taken Bledsoe instead at #1. It clearly would have changed the entire history of this franchise.

Side note, it sure made it easy to get my season tickets in 1993. "Plenty of good seats still available" :ROFLMAO:

Of course, the Hawks flipped Mirer later for a 1st rounder, talk about a fleecing. He was traded to the Bears in 1997 and played in 3 games I believe. And didn't win a single one of them. And.......was released at the end of the season. Ouch.
Yeah, I’m one of the older fans that lived through that history with you 🍻

I knew that we somehow used that Bears pick to land Big Walt, but I didn’t know that Ken Behring nearly screwed that up until I just read this.
It’s insane how much damage that dude did to this team in his relatively short time as their owner.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Behring was Satan. Remember his pathetic "apology" on TV to the fans for moving the team to Cali? What a p.o.s. he was.
I remember it like it was yesterday. And the videos of people trying to stand in front of the moving trucks etc. They were even practicing down there.

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
A friend of mine and I had season tickets during that period of time. It was long before the secondary market, ie Ticketmaster, Stub Hub, and electronic tickets. We lived in Moses Lake working a full time job including weekends, graveyards, etc, so it wasn't possible to go to every game, especially late November and December traveling over the mountain pass. But I couldn't even give them away, and if I did, I'd have to mail them several days in advance of the game in order for who ever wanted them to get them in time for the game. Plus, they charged full price for the 2 exhibition games that you were forced to buy.

Shortly after Paul Allen bought the team, we dropped them. The straw that broke the camel's back was that we heard that they were going to force you to buy a personal seat license in order to finance the new stadium. In addition to having to eat two or three tickets per season, we'd have to pony up $1000 or so for the PSL, or at least that's the rumor that was going around. We were halfway up in the 100 level off the 35 yard line when we gave them up. Worst decision I ever made.

Sorry to go off topic.