Bryce Miller dominates in debut

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt. Kid is locked in. And he's a rookie. But remember......."nothing to be amazed about"
Except for there is PLENTY to be impressed with.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I wonder who scouts up the pitchers for the M's to draft?
The pipeline is sending in serious talent and it's not going to
end with Miller..Dollard,Woo and Hancock are not far off.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep. If they somehow got off their butts and added another couple good bats, not average, this team would be legit. Pitching is set for years.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I wonder who scouts up the pitchers for the M's to draft?
The pipeline is sending in serious talent and it's not going to
end with Miller..Dollard,Woo and Hancock are not far off.
It's too bad the organization is so cheap that we'll likely have to trade those guys for bats, because they wouldn't sign one as a free agent...

IndyHawk

Reaction score
It's too bad the organization is so cheap that we'll likely have to trade those guys for bats, because they wouldn't sign one as a free agent...
I didn't like giving up what we did for Castillo.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I didn't like giving up what we did for Castillo.
At least Castillo is an Ace though. I'm more disappointed that they sent prospects for chances on guys like Winker and Frazier (again being cheap)... And now they're backing themselves into a corner to have to do it again.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Nah, we won that trade. Haven't given it a second thought. Castillo is one of the best pitchers in baseball.
I agree we won the trade..Love Castillo,I just wish we hadn't gave up Marte.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fair enough. Unfortunately, you have to give up something to get something. Would be sweet to have Marte, no doubt.

QWERTY

Reaction score
Kirby is more like a 2 in my book but each to their own..
I can't stand Flex either,I don't know what happened to the guy of 2 yrs ago.
Kirby is starting to look like a reliable #2 pitcher.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Now the kid is making MLB History.

First 3 Bryce Miller starts:

19 innings, 64 batters faced, 8 baserunners, 1 run

No starter in MLB history has ever allowed only 8 total baserunners in their first 3 starts

https://www.si.com/fannation/mlb/fa...-makes-mlb-history-through-first-three-starts
I'm impressed..The Mariners pitching development has the wheels turning out
real good pitching.
I see 3(SP)now with 2 more OTW,they will know when they are ready and you
cannot go by the minors stats.As with Bryce they have them throwing pitches
that they want them to master for the bigs.
We are fortunate to have this pitching and I wish it was the same for hitters but I
think we will be seeing that too at some point like the Rays.
One thing I know pisses others off is we don't spend big for bats but really in my
thoughts you shouldn't have to if your drafting and developing the right players.
It takes time but I can see a couple that are on the horizon on that end also.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Hate to poop on the parade but all I'm saying is this is an even bigger reason now for ownership to spend. You have seriously good starting pitching. In fact besides TB, M's have the best starter ERA. Remember in 2014 they led the league in ERA and missed the playoffs? Please not again. This is torture.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Hate to poop on the parade but all I'm saying is this is an even bigger reason now for ownership to spend. You have seriously good starting pitching. In fact besides TB, M's have the best starter ERA. Remember in 2014 they led the league in ERA and missed the playoffs? Please not again. This is torture.
I get the concern but our pitchers have years of control yet and there is the
rental deadline for a hitter or two..
I know people want to spend on a big name FA but how many are doing great this
year?I mean really look into it and tell me.

Crizilla

Reaction score
I get the concern but our pitchers have years of control yet and there is the
rental deadline for a hitter or two..
I know people want to spend on a big name FA but how many are doing great this
year?I mean really look into it and tell me.
There's a few they missed out on. Dude with Miami, dude with Boston. I'm not sure who's a FA after this year. I know Teoscar is. They'll have to decide if they want to resign him or not. Scott sent 3 guys to the plate today who are batting in the .100s. Bad players, bad coaching, it's both. Dipoto is gonna have to do something by the trade deadline or the next off season. Probably would have to beg ownership to spend a little. If they don't spend or trade there's not a whole lot in the farm right now offensively speaking.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
I think the naysayers are going to be surprised as they get this year's batting order straightened out.

I believe Trae Turner didn't want to play on the west coast, family or something, and a couple of other batters weren't interested in playing in T-Mobile park because it would drop their stats.

Now some of those high dollar batters aren't doing so well.
I think this "owner is cheap and should have brought in batters" story line is going to die an ugly death as this team starts to hit.

Remember, we are paying Julio and Luis Castillo, we have to reserve money for players like JK, and Cal Raleigh, and I heard someone on 710 speculate that they may take a shot at Shohei Ohtani.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I think the naysayers are going to be surprised as they get this year's batting order straightened out.

I believe Trae Turner didn't want to play on the west coast, family or something, and a couple of other batters weren't interested in playing in T-Mobile park because it would drop their stats.

Now some of those high dollar batters aren't doing so well.
I think this "owner is cheap and should have brought in batters" story line is going to die an ugly death as this team starts to hit.

Remember, we are paying Julio and Luis Castillo, we have to reserve money for players like JK, and Cal Raleigh, and I heard someone on 710 speculate that they may take a shot at Shohei Ohtani.
The Ohtani speculation is rumors fanned by the M’s ownership/FO thru the M’s flagship station to get the fans off their backs for this off-season FA failure after they promised to make big waves for years.

I hate to be a dream killer but John Stanton doesn’t do bidding wars, and Ohtani is going to be the biggest bidding war to date. No way Stanton makes a serious offer when all of the “big dogs” are all throwing insane money at the guy. They will throw out a lowball offer and say “hey, we tried.” This FO/ownership is trying to kick the can of criticism down the road while hoping EVERYTHING goes right this year.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Is he hitting a wall after that dominant start to the season?

Not going to act like I watched a lot of him, but looking at who he faced, he pitched against some pretty weak opponents. He did beat Houston but that was when they were struggling and were without Altuve. Struggled against Yankees and now Texas.