Bruce Irvin @ Hawks BB game 5/13/15 quote

Jville

Reaction score
NYCoug":1i9uslp7 said:
''I'm really glad you asked me that, because he didn't say that,'' Carroll said. ''We've been talking all along. He has been working out in Atlanta for these three weeks, and he said (that) in response to the question `Do you want to come back home?' He said everybody likes to come back home, and it's a dream to come back home. It wasn't in reference to leaving us and coming back (to the Falcons). He was really adamant about it, and I asked him to leave it and not go at it anymore.''

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...irvin-s-atlanta-comment-misinterpreted-051615

Man... who to believe, who to believe?

The reputable powerhouse that IS, BlackSportsOnline.com, or Pete Carroll and Bruce Irvin themselves? Hmmm... I'll just let the board decide. I'm buckled in, this should be good!

*Cue that gif of Michael Jackson eating popcorn*

*And then, cue the gif of Pete Carroll doing the monocle strut*

"LOS ANGELES (AP) — Seattle Seahawks linebacker Bruce Irvin's recent declaration that he would be playing in Atlanta in 2016 doesn't mean what everyone thinks it does, according to coach Pete Carroll's interpretation of those remarks.

Speaking with reporters prior to his induction into the USC Athletics Hall of Fame on Saturday, Carroll said Irvin was not announcing a move to the Falcons next season. Irvin told BlackSportsOnline.com, "I'm going to be in Atlanta next season," at an Atlanta Hawks playoff game. ...........

........... Carroll said the furor over Irvin's comments on social media and to internet outlets merely reflected the new media landscape.

"Anybody can put those messages out, and they have a life to them," Carroll said. "Our guys are getting better at understanding that, and Bruce has learned again from this lesson.""

AP link >>> [urltargetblank]http://bigstory.ap.org/article/387de18dd8a94ee5a9123d42907df4ab/seahawks-carroll-lb-irvins-atlanta-comment-misinterpreted[/urltargetblank]

"Anybody can put those messages out, and they have a life to them," Carroll said. "Our guys are getting better at understanding that, and Bruce has learned again from this lesson."[/quote]

Jerhawk

Reaction score
RiverDog":mb8xbzsz said:
Irvin is set to make just under $3M this season. Had we picked up his option, that number would have doubled, to nearly $8M. I don't care how big of a fan anyone is of Irvin, they can't with a straight face tell me that he's worth half again more than Von Miller, who's only making $5.2M in 2015. It did not make economic sense for the Hawks to pick up that option, a point made even more dramatic with the contracts of Russell Wilson and Bobby Wagner to rework.

But the major problem here is that Irvin is just plain stupid. He does not know the first thing about business. Not only is he too dumb to figure out why the Hawks couldn't pick up his option even after it's been explained to him and after he's had days in which to reflect on the decision, he proved it again when he started jacking his jaws about going to one specific team and reducing his market value by a couple $100K.

I don't want this guy as one of our core players anyway. He's not a 3 down player, he's prone to dumb mistakes, and he's a potential locker room cancer. If he doesn't clean up his act and get with the program, ie if he isn't "in", I say get rid of him, even if it means cutting his arse and not getting anything in return. If he thinks he's worth the money picking up that option would have paid him, let him go out and try getting one on his own merits, and forever kiss goodbye his chances of ever playing in another Super Bowl again.

Everything you said about Irvin is the same way I've felt about him since his time here. Let's be honest, his play on the field was underwhelming for being a middle of first round pick, and it was mostly due to what was between the ears for him.

He was athletically gifted, and seeing where he came from on that ESPN story was inspirational. But he didn't mature or flourish like we had all hoped. People on this board love Irvin and think he's an elite defender, but he's really not. Drafting Frank Clark really was the writing on the wall for the end of his time here.

Jville

Reaction score
Irvin's early years sidetracked and delayed his development. He is maturing. But he did get a late start. I think of him as a late bloomer. In any case he is on board for 2015.