Browner will be an unrestricted free agent in 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinksheets

Reaction score
If this is old news, I apologize, but I'm under the impression that a lot of us assumed Browner would be an RFA in the offseason, thus making bringing him back for another year cheap.

Apparently, that's not the case. He was credited for an accrued season for the year he spent on IR in Denver.

Davis Hsu ‏@DavisHsuSeattle 4m
Browner is UFA (accrued 1 w Broncos) RT @Eulenjeff: @DavisHsuSeattle check the end of this blog post http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blog ... esktop&wjb

That means we'll have 3 corners on the roster this year that will be unrestricted free agents in the offseason: Browner, Winfield, and Thurmond (I'm assuming he makes the team).

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Hm. Wonder if he will be willing to come back on an affordable deal for the team who actually gave him a real shot to play in the NFL or if he will chase a payday (wouldn't surprise me because this will be his only chance).

It is fairly obvious that Seattle is the best place for him, I'm fairly sure he would get burned regularly in another defensive system. If we have a Trufant, Hill situation where no one really shows interest, he'll be back on a one or 2 year deal. But if someone is willing to pay him (Jacksonville?) then he will probably be gone.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
pinksheets":1dsz8yap said:
If this is old news, I apologize, but I'm under the impression that a lot of us assumed Browner would be an RFA in the offseason, thus making bringing him back for another year cheap.

Apparently, that's not the case. He was credited for an accrued season for the year he spent on IR in Denver.

Davis Hsu ‏@DavisHsuSeattle 4m
Browner is UFA (accrued 1 w Broncos) RT @Eulenjeff: @DavisHsuSeattle check the end of this blog post http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blog ... esktop&wjb

That means we'll have 3 corners on the roster this year that will be unrestricted free agents in the offseason: Browner, Winfield, and Thurmond (I'm assuming he makes the team).
I do think this is the reason they drafted Tharold Simon because I think they will try and offer him something reasonable but not be shocked if he accepts an offer from elsewere like Jacksonville or the New York Jets.

Mick063

Reaction score
Seattle will lose a disproportionate number of players, relative to a typical franchise, to unrestricted free agency, restricted free agency, off the waiver wire, and off the practice squad. It is what happens to all talented teams. It is going to happen so just brace for it.

It comes down to two things:

Consistent replenishment of comparable talent

Players delivering a product consummate with their contracts

The one position that can hold it all together and keep a team competitive through the "ebbs and flows" of overall talent is a franchise quarterback.

All teams will miss on players, but Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees can at least keep their teams in the hunt. It is also where you separate the wheat from the chaff with respect to elite quarterbacks. For example, perhaps Phillip Rivers is more dependent upon being surrounded by talented team mates than the fore mentioned quarterbacks.

sutz

Reaction score
The league is waking up to our preferred style of players and our scheme. It wouldn't surprise me if Browner does field a few offers. Jax is an obvious destination for him....ties to the coach, team re-building, etc. One key component, of course, is ET. Thomas makes the D work in many ways because of his speed and ability to cover the entire deep secondary as well as he does. With him back there, we can afford to jam at the line and risk letting WRs get loose in the backfield. Not many teams have a FS as good as he is.

There will be some personnel losses over the next few years, of players we don't want to lose.

Oh well, In P&J we trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts