Broncos fire sale?

Lagartixa

Reaction score

Because I still have more dislike for the Broncos and Raiders left over from the Seahawks' days in the AFC West than I have for the Seahawks' current division rivals, all I can say to this is...

OP
OP
Lagartixa

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Broncos are like a pick and pull lot for playoff parts.

Good analogy. That piece of crap isn't gonna run, much less at highway speeds, with that underpowered and wrecked old engine and with the transmission in pieces, but there are some parts on there that might be useful and cheaper than they'd be at a regular retail parts store.

I'm not sure why the Santa Clara Gold Diggers wanted that crumpled and rusted fender they just took, but their vehicle is in such good shape that I wonder if they'll find a way to get some value out of the fender.

Boohman14

Reaction score
Good analogy. That piece of crap isn't gonna run, much less at highway speeds, with that underpowered and wrecked old engine and with the transmission in pieces, but there are some parts on there that might be useful and cheaper than they'd be at a regular retail parts store.

I'm not sure why the Santa Clara Gold Diggers wanted that crumpled and rusted fender they just took, but their vehicle is in such good shape that I wonder if they'll find a way to get some value out of the fender.
Low risk, "decent" reward I'd guess. He may play better with a good supporting cast and better coaching. He a rotational piece and should hold up to reduce wear on the 9er's difference makers.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Strip the team down and collect losses. Would love to see that 3rd round pick become another solid slot!
By the time you get to the third round tere isn't a huge amount of difference in draft capital, especially given that Denver were never going to be more than an average team this season, do you really think having pick 65 get us a significantly better player than if we have pick 75-80.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
By the time you get to the third round tere isn't a huge amount of difference in draft capital, especially given that Denver were never going to be more than an average team this season, do you really think having pick 65 get us a significantly better player than if we have pick 75-80.

Its not about the quality of players in a given round. It's where you pick. You want the earliest possible pick in a given round so you have first dibs on a player.

Many great NFL players were picked in rounds later than 1st and 2nd.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Its not about the quality of players in a given round. It's where you pick. You want the earliest possible pick in a given round so you have first dibs on a player.

Many great NFL players were picked in rounds later than 1st and 2nd.
Of Course I agree with that you can get a Riq Woolen in the 5th or even a Tom Brady in the 6th. The point I was trying to make is while you gain a lot of draft capitial in the first round if your pick is 10 places higher than expected (look at what the Bears got for trading down). By the time you get to the third round the differentials between picks is much smaller. The player would would want to pick at 65 more often than not would still be available at 75, if you want ot make sure you get him you might need to give away a 5th rounder with a 50% chance of making the cut.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Of Course I agree with that you can get a Riq Woolen in the 5th or even a Tom Brady in the 6th. The point I was trying to make is while you gain a lot of draft capitial in the first round if your pick is 10 places higher than expected (look at what the Bears got for trading down). By the time you get to the third round the differentials between picks is much smaller. The player would would want to pick at 65 more often than not would still be available at 75, if you want ot make sure you get him you might need to give away a 5th rounder with a 50% chance of making the cut.
One thing to consider is we have our own 3rd with their 3 so that could be used
in a trade up package.
It could even be used this season at the trade deadline.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Some scrub named Creed Humphrey went 63, so you never know. A Lucas was selected at 72. So is I have the option to pick at 65 instead of 75-80, yeah I’ll take it every time.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
I'm all for it. Let's see how well ME3 deals with Williams coming into town.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Some scrub named Creed Humphrey went 63, so you never know. A Lucas was selected at 72. So is I have the option to pick at 65 instead of 75-80, yeah I’ll take it every time.
At 75 you end up with someone like Russell Wilson, I know there is a lot of hate for him now but on a redraft he would still be taken 1st overall.

OP
OP
Lagartixa

Lagartixa

Reaction score
At 75 you end up with someone like Russell Wilson, I know there is a lot of hate for him now but on a redraft he would still be taken 1st overall.

I'm not sure about that. I could see teams going for Bobby Wagner (first-team All-Pro six times, second-team All-Pro three times, got league-MVP votes in 2014), Fletcher Cox (first-team All-Pro once, second-team All-Pro three times), and Stephon Gilmore (first-team All-Pro twice, Defensive Player of the Year once) ahead of Wilson (second-team All-Pro once).

To succeed as much as he did, Wilson appears to have really needed the very special environment Pete Carroll created for him. Once the Seahawks finally decided to actually trade Wilson, he got to go to the team he wanted (vetoed trades to other teams, then accepted the trade to Denver and told the world he went to the Broncos because he "wouldn't have to carry" them), and then a year later, he got the coach he had wanted when he was still with the Seahawks, and the results have been... well, hilarious.

Most teams couldn't have provided the kind of environment Wilson needed to succeed, and if we're back in 2012 and have the crystal ball that tells us about the through-five-weeks-of-the-2023-season performance of players in the 2012 draft, that same crystal ball is going to be able to show us what happened when Wilson was taken out from under Carroll's protection. The Gold Diggers with Harbaugh might have been able to provide the kind of situation Wilson needed - witness Kaepernick's relative success around that time despite his limitations - but they had just gone 13-3 and hosted the NFC Championship Game, so they didn't have a top-of-the-draft pick (they picked 30th in 2012).

Wilson would probably be a top-five pick in a 2012 redraft, almost certainly top-ten, and definitely first-round, but the team drafting him that high would have a good chance of ending up disappointed.

If you go by performance alone, ignoring what we now know about how important Carroll was to Wilson's success, then I agree Wilson probably ends up picked first. That is, if it's like fantasy football, where you just care about the player's stats and not the situation in which those stats were generated (so Wilson would have the same performance even without the Seahawks defense and running attack, and even without Pete Carroll doing so much to make Wilson succeed, and where Wilson would have the same numbers even if drafted by a then-terrible team like the Colts, Browns, or Jaguars), then yeah, Wilson is the guy from the 2012 draft who produces the most overall value.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
I'm not sure about that. I could see teams going for Bobby Wagner (first-team All-Pro six times, second-team All-Pro three times, got league-MVP votes in 2014), Fletcher Cox (first-team All-Pro once, second-team All-Pro three times), and Stephon Gilmore (first-team All-Pro twice, Defensive Player of the Year once) ahead of Wilson (second-team All-Pro once).

To succeed as much as he did, Wilson appears to have really needed the very special environment Pete Carroll created for him. Once the Seahawks finally decided to actually trade Wilson, he got to go to the team he wanted (vetoed trades to other teams, then accepted the trade to Denver and told the world he went to the Broncos because he "wouldn't have to carry" them), and then a year later, he got the coach he had wanted when he was still with the Seahawks, and the results have been... well, hilarious.

Most teams couldn't have provided the kind of environment Wilson needed to succeed, and if we're back in 2012 and have the crystal ball that tells us about the through-five-weeks-of-the-2023-season performance of players in the 2012 draft, that same crystal ball is going to be able to show us what happened when Wilson was taken out from under Carroll's protection. The Gold Diggers with Harbaugh might have been able to provide the kind of situation Wilson needed - witness Kaepernick's relative success around that time despite his limitations - but they had just gone 13-3 and hosted the NFC Championship Game, so they didn't have a top-of-the-draft pick (they picked 30th in 2012).

Wilson would probably be a top-five pick in a 2012 redraft, almost certainly top-ten, and definitely first-round, but the team drafting him that high would have a good chance of ending up disappointed.

If you go by performance alone, ignoring what we now know about how important Carroll was to Wilson's success, then I agree Wilson probably ends up picked first. That is, if it's like fantasy football, where you just care about the player's stats and not the situation in which those stats were generated (so Wilson would have the same performance even without the Seahawks defense and running attack, and even without Pete Carroll doing so much to make Wilson succeed, and where Wilson would have the same numbers even if drafted by a then-terrible team like the Colts, Browns, or Jaguars), then yeah, Wilson is the guy from the 2012 draft who produces the most overall value.
All ifs buts and maybes but I always thought that when RW3 joined the Seahawks he was a talented young QB who was willing to learn and would have had success with most other teams. It was only about 5 years later that he started thinking he knew it all became very difficult to coach both in terms of having him play within his skill set and in terms of preventing him being a toxic influence on the team. One of his biggest strengths was his ability to evade tackles and extend the play (which was necessary due to taking too long to go through his reads) and as he gets older his abilty to do this is declining.
I think if he had gone elsewhere he would probably have done really well during his rookie contract got a big fat extension and go steeply downhill immediately after.

evergreen

Reaction score
Before the trade and his exposure he would definitely go first. Now probably not. Fletcher Cox and Bobby go ahead of him. That young RW was a killer tho.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
They already shipped out Gregory, and Surtain is most definitely on the trading block. He's only got one year left on his deal, and no way in hell he's going to sign an extension with that dumpster fire of an organization.

Probably the player with the biggest potential for getting high picks.

But yeah, Jeudy, Sutton, Simmon, Bowles......Payton's taking calls on all of them.

Latest posts