Brock Huard Made an Interesting Point this Morning

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I would wager on a strain or a tear before fatigue from running. Overall fatigue from trying too hard and not relaxing, though? Could buy it.

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
It's sort of a chicken and egg thing. Is his throwing off because he runs so much? Or does he run so much because his throwing is off? I just know he had a patch of bad games last season and snapped out of it, so I'm expecting the same (just in time, too).

lobohawk

Reaction score
As others have noted, it's probably not one thing, but a culmination of several. Trying to pin it down to one, from an outsiders perspective, is a bit futile. Though common for forum fodder and we all like the silver bullet answer.

No it isn't all on the OL, or all on the receivers getting separation, or Russell having no confidence, or etc. Just take a dash of each and you can imagine the consistency going away.

A

Anonymous

SnoCoHawk":lsz3wjim said:
It's sort of a chicken and egg thing. Is his throwing off because he runs so much? Or does he run so much because his throwing is off? I just know he had a patch of bad games last season and snapped out of it, so I'm expecting the same (just in time, too).

I'm not exactly sure why, yet.

But, I want to hear more from you, SnoCo.

You obviously are not suffering from "Homerphobia", and you're glass is half full.

Fatigue is one thing, and Huard knows something about that from watching actual players trot off the field towards him on the sidelines, but Russ is not out of shape enough to run up and down the field a few times and still throw a good ball.

It's going to be more about field and weather conditions, wind, obstacles (DT's arms), and WR separation than anything else, when it comes to his missing guys here and there.

No one will be addressing any mechanics issues more diligently than Russell will, so I'm going to hope the things he can't change about his accuracy diminish on his behalf.

Jeremy517

Reaction score
kidhawk":3aptx3vc said:
It would be interesting to see if his more inaccurate pass attempts come more often after a lot of running? Is it coincidence that he says his footwork was off on some of this throws, after running so much?

He only ran for 12 yards in the Dallas game, 35 yards in the Carolina game and 31 yards in the Oakland game.

He's only run for over 40 yards in three games, and two of those were good passing games. In his best game in terms of passing yards, he ran for 106 yards. In his best game in terms of QB rating, he ran for 122 yards.

It isn't really a very good theory.

kearly

Reaction score
In the Rams game, Wilson was fired up. But in the three games since, he's had the body language of Eeyore. In the past, Wilson has typically remained upbeat even when playing poorly, but recently this has not been the case. The last three weeks it's almost looked like there was a death in the family for him.

I have no idea what is causing the problems, or if it's nothing more than a prolonged slump. But it does appear fairly obvious to be a mental issue. Something hasn't been right in his mind the past three games.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kearly":1zotdjzg said:
In the Rams game, Wilson was fired up. But in the three games since, he's had the body language of Eeyore. In the past, Wilson has typically remained upbeat even when playing poorly, but recently this has not been the case. The last three weeks it's almost looked like there was a death in the family for him.

I have no idea what is causing the problems, or if it's nothing more than a prolonged slump. But it does appear fairly obvious to be a mental issue. Something hasn't been right in his mind the past three games.

Russell is a perfectionist, so I think what we're seeing is a guy who's struggling to wrap his head around what's going on because even he can't figure out his accuracy issues.

No QB is going to be all upbeat and smiling after throwing his 2nd pick of the game.

Largent80

Reaction score
kearly":3i7ji352 said:

I saw him hanging his head yesterday, I haven't seen that from him yet.

He is pressing, he is sometimes pillbugging, and does not look comfortable back there. That is understandable at times.

One play in particular, we were running a delayed screen. The linemen all pulled left, Bailey didn't even chip his guy and that guy sacked Russ.

It is those types of things that causes more doubt in a person IF he is in fact getting shellshocked.

DanejaHawk

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":3tbuxnim said:
I'm not really buying that one. Marcus Mariota runs as much or more for Oregon than Russell does, and his accuracy is tip top. Ditto for Johnny Manziel when he was at Texas A&M. And its not like RW is getting hit either. A couple of runs per possession should not impact the stamina of a professional athlete to the degree that it causes him to completely lose command of the strike zone.

I'm not sure if I buy the fatigue from running excuse as an explanation for Russell's accuracy woes. It could definitely be a factor of sorts, but not a catch all explanation. I will say, though, as a rabid lifelong Oregon fan that Marcus Mariota is from being tip top in the accuracy department all the time. Running often may indeed have some effect on that, I tend to think it's just hard for humans to be perfect all the time.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I'm more inclined to say this is more of a combination of (A) defenses figuring him out a bit; and (B) lack of a big receiver/TE and/or playmaker. The escalating chatter about his passing has probably led him to press a bit. I also think the entire Harvin debacle probably pushed back his development several steps.

I think he'll get right. In the long run, I'm not worried about it. However, it might not be pretty this year, and I'm preparing myself for that. Unless Moeaki turns into Gronkowski, we just don't have the right ancillary pieces. O-line is fine, but no TE, no big WR, no field-stretching playmaker. I like the rookies, but they're probably still a little raw. We'll see. I still maintain that Richardson is probably the key here. But if he isn't ready quite yet, it's going to be rough and tumble for the rest of the season on offense. RBBC (Lynch, Turbin, Michael) may legitimately need to carry us the rest of the way until we can re-load in the offseason.

45Hawker

Reaction score
kearly":28zbynj6 said:
I've noticed the same thing. Multiple times this season, he's looked like he's ill, concussed or depressed. Is that fatigue? Playing through the pain of an injury? His demeanor and expression doesn't seem normal for him.

DanejaHawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":316g4305 said:
I'm more inclined to say this is more of a combination of (A) defenses figuring him out a bit; and (B) lack of a big receiver/TE and/or playmaker. The escalating chatter about his passing has probably led him to press a bit. I also think the entire Harvin debacle probably pushed back his development several steps.

I think he'll get right. In the long run, I'm not worried about it. However, it might not be pretty this year, and I'm preparing myself for that. Unless Moeaki turns into Gronkowski, we just don't have the right ancillary pieces. O-line is fine, but no TE, no big WR, no field-stretching playmaker. I like the rookies, but they're probably still a little raw. We'll see. I still maintain that Richardson is probably the key here. But if he isn't ready quite yet, it's going to be rough and tumble for the rest of the season on offense. RBBC (Lynch, Turbin, Michael) may legitimately need to carry us the rest of the way until we can re-load in the offseason.

This is a more realistic and rational take on it. I agree. One man does not an army make, no matter how Rambo that man is. The O is just short a couple key ancillary pieces that prevent us from playing the chess match we would like to. This offense is still doing a lot with a little, it's as impressive as it is hard to watch.

marymoorhawk

Reaction score
DanejaHawk":1skuyzts said:
NorthDallas40oz":1skuyzts said:
I'm not really buying that one. Marcus Mariota runs as much or more for Oregon than Russell does, and his accuracy is tip top. Ditto for Johnny Manziel when he was at Texas A&M. And its not like RW is getting hit either. A couple of runs per possession should not impact the stamina of a professional athlete to the degree that it causes him to completely lose command of the strike zone.

I'm not sure if I buy the fatigue from running excuse as an explanation for Russell's accuracy woes. It could definitely be a factor of sorts, but not a catch all explanation. I will say, though, as a rabid lifelong Oregon fan that Marcus Mariota is from being tip top in the accuracy department all the time. Running often may indeed have some effect on that, I tend to think it's just hard for humans to be perfect all the time.

Not only that, but I don't see how you can compare College to the NFL. "Accuracy" in college is far different than accuracy in the NFL. Its the difference between hitting a target the size of a barrel vs. a teacup.

marymoorhawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3w0j01wh said:

OL play in pass pro has been shaky and our WR/TE have been horrible. I think that is the starting point.

On top of that, for whatever reason, his accuracy on the deep balls in particular has been lacking. He has missed many throws over the last few weeks that he didn't miss on his first 2 years. Hopefully he finds that, because if nothing else changes besides him hitting on a couple of those a game (instead of missing them) we will be more than alright.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":28h6wj7b said:
Rain? Slippery ball maybe?

What were weather conditions on the field yesterday?

:stirthepot:

Valid point. As I recall Eli let one slip too.

chrispy

Reaction score
I agree that there isn't a direct correlation. In general (not always but in general), a tired QB will underthrow. RW was overthrowing more and just inaccurate, not as much short. It could, as mentioned, be more difficult to focus. If he's constantly out of breath, I could imagine him being less able to mentally slow things down. It also cuts out several seconds of the play clock when you have to run back to the huddle from 5 yards out of bounds.

It also could just be the pressure. I have to think, some days, running for your life, after some missed/easy throws, injuries everywhere, an interception or two, throw in a fumble... it might get kind of overwhelming. He sees Marshawn chewing up yardage and knows, when he gets paid, he'll have to make up for a declining run game. He'll have to make up for a more porous D. He'll have to do that for the next 20 years. Who knows the conversations that pop into a QBs head during a game. No one can block it all out.

I'd think it's easier to stay hyped when you really believe you're going to the SuperBowl. I'm not sure all of this team really believes that anymore.... Maybe that doesn't apply to RW but he hears everyone else. Maybe they all hope. But maybe there is more doubt after losing to the Cowboys at home and the Rams and seeing the schedule down the stretch.

Just like a game, the season has a momentum component. Many coaches split up the season into thirds or fourths. The game Sunday provides some momentum for the upcoming set. But it's just as easy to lose momentum as it is to get it. A win at KC will propel this team back into the spotlight. A big loss will induce the "SuperBowl hangover" drinking game whenever ESPN is on TV.

StoneCold

Reaction score
I think it's very possible the locker room factions are more real than we've been lead to believe? WR's are pissed at Russell for running so much, not seeing that receivers are open. The Lynch group, whoever they might be, don't get along with the goody goody RW. I can't see Lynch and Russell ever hanging out together. Maybe all that stress is getting to him? Especially with the kinds of pressure he puts on himself. Russell needs to grow up. Can you imagine him still doing the same kinds of press conferences he does now in 5 years? Russell has a lot of rah rah in him, combine that with the his goody goody image and I could see that rubbing people the wrong way. He's incredibly smart and talented. He'll figure it out. He'll stop worrying about the off field stuff and get back to kicking ass. Just needs to get in touch with his inner bully...just a bit.

SC

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I know that I've been very critical of Wilson, but in actuality I think he's a good player. That being said he is currently playing the worst football of his NFL career thus far. Even when he's getting time, and open receivers he's having bad accuracy issues, and ball placement. This is stemming from his footwork. He's not setting his feet, and he's making unnecessary movements in the pocket. His mechanics are very bad right now, which is a direct result of him being jittery in the pocket.

The good news is that he seemed to calm down in the pocket this week, though he still had some mechanical issues. He threw off of his back foot a few times, and he didn't set his feet properly on that throw to Kearse. All of these throws that he is missing are ones that he made with boring consistency in 2012 and 2013.

Wilson does not trust his receivers. I've seen him look straight at open receivers and go on to his next read. He'll look like he wants to throw the ball, and then decide to look elsewhere. Of course that means he doesn't trust them with anticipation routes, though I think Carroll wants Russell to avoid those kind of throws due to turnover potential. He showed the aptitude for making them in college.

Right now the dude is in his own head. He needs to get back to the basics. I would like to see Bevell simplify the offense for the next game or two. Fill the playbook with high percentage throws, and easy reads to get his confidence back. Maybe tell him to go to a one read, checkdown sort of progression.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Interesting take kidhawk. However, I don't like giving him that excuse to not be accurate passing the ball, if he's tired after running the ball then he needs to get in even better shape.

I know someone else has said this, but I would take Russell Wilson's bad days over any other QB's bad days, simply because of the running factor he gives us.

I know we've all been harping on Russell's poor passing games of late, but perhaps our perspective of his performance should be of his entire play, e.g., gaining 300 all purpose yards versus a high passing yards game.

Russell Wilson won the super bowl in his second season in the NFL, regardless of what kind of team we had, thats amazing.

Interesting topic none the less.

A

Anonymous

Spin Doctor":3684vrg2 said:
I know that I've been very critical of Wilson, but in actuality I think he's a good player. That being said he is currently playing the worst football of his NFL career thus far. Even when he's getting time, and open receivers he's having bad accuracy issues, and ball placement. This is stemming from his footwork. He's not setting his feet, and he's making unnecessary movements in the pocket. His mechanics are very bad right now, which is a direct result of him being jittery in the pocket.

The good news is that he seemed to calm down in the pocket this week, though he still had some mechanical issues. He threw off of his back foot a few times, and he didn't set his feet properly on that throw to Kearse. All of these throws that he is missing are ones that he made with boring consistency in 2012 and 2013.

Wilson does not trust his receivers. I've seen him look straight at open receivers and go on to his next read. He'll look like he wants to throw the ball, and then decide to look elsewhere. Of course that means he doesn't trust them with anticipation routes, though I think Carroll wants Russell to avoid those kind of throws due to turnover potential. He showed the aptitude for making them in college.

Right now the dude is in his own head. He needs to get back to the basics. I would like to see Bevell simplify the offense for the next game or two. Fill the playbook with high percentage throws, and easy reads to get his confidence back. Maybe tell him to go to a one read, checkdown sort of progression.

However rancorous, a very perspicuous post from "Two Princes".

Thank you sir, may I have another?