Brock and Danny talk to Phil Simms

ivotuk

Reaction score
and Pete Carroll. Some great stuff with Phil Simms. I agree with Phil about the penalty against GB on the Quinn hit. The defender lifted him off the ground, there was at least 8 inches between the bottom of Brady's shoes and the field, the threw him down and drove him in to the ground with his shoulder in Quinn's chest. It was a "Reggie White" type hit.

There's another one about ESPN pulling out of the concussion documentary which sounds really fishy to me. I hope we hear what's behind that decision. If I find out that ESPN caved to pressure, I'm dropping my subscription and boycotting their website.

Edit: Whoops, link http://mynorthwest.com/category/sports_pod_results/?p=1007&n=Brock and Danny

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
rjdriver":165u73a3 said:
Well maybe not, they will never admit it.

The upside to all of this, when Frontline airs it will have a huge audience. "There's no such thing as bad publicity."

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Interesting stats per Dave Wyman, the team that had the most penalty yards in 2012? The Baltimore Ravens. Other teams with a high number of penalty yards? Green Bay, Washington and San Francisco.

DYLcurry59

Reaction score
My favorite thing about this interview was when Simms debunked the whole "X player wont succeed because Y team has film on him." Like when people say Wilson and Kaepernick will struggle this year because now teams have film to look at. What about all the teams they played after their first game last season - didn't they have film as well?

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Another good point from the Clayton Show, "4 Denver Broncos were injuried and 5 Packers were injured, is this from playing against an aggressive Seahawks players?"

AgentDib

Reaction score
DYLcurry59":1kmm3140 said:
What about all the teams they played after their first game last season - didn't they have film as well?
There isn't much time to install new stuff during a season and you are not stating this argument very well. Here is a (poorly) paraphrased version of how Pat Kirwan has described it.

NFL teams spend months over the offseason building their playbook and installing all of the packages. They do walkthroughs on hundreds of plays, many of which are only seen briefly. These are drawn up and/or selected based on what they think will work best against the offensive systems they will expect to see over the season.

During the season, coaches spend a single day (Monday) on each opponent listening to their scouts, watching footage, and drawing up the gameplan. This usually consists of selecting 50 of their existing plays that they think will work the best, then the players spend a couple of days mostly just remembering what they supposedly learned over the offseason. Of course they can try to install new things in a hurry if they are completely unprepared, but given the extremely limited time they tend to prefer to make minor tweaks to existing stuff rather than trying to reinvent the system with no time to practice sweeping changes.

The Seahawks and the 49ers did have a minor advantage last season in that none of their regular season opponents spent the 2012 offseason planning for Kaepernick/Wilson led offenses with read-option principles. Look at the Packers/49ers playoff game. Dom Capers is considered a very good defensive coordinator, but with a week to prepare for the read option his defense was completely embarrassed by it. Consequently, he reportedly spent a great deal of time this offseason studying it with various college head coaches, and he has thoroughly included it in his offseason plans.

None of this is to say that read option components were only a short term fad. We will find out a lot more about this in the first two weeks of the season as we see what the defensive coordinations spend the offseason working on as an answer.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
As the defensive coordinators spend time, effort, and energy game planning against the read option, certain OC's will be spending their time adding wrinkles in other areas of their plan. It is a good spot to be in when your opponent spends assets to defend something that might not be used offensively.

The read option was a great asset last year but our team can drive and score in many other ways.

Latest posts