BREAKING NEWS: Percy Harvin Traded to Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeanBlueGreen

Reaction score
austinslater25":255epmlo said:
For those saying "Great lets go back to running the football." Problem is this probably hurts the running game as well. Teams can completely stack the box without worrying about Walters burning them. Regardless of the stats this hurts the offense in more ways than one.

Richardson is nothing like Harvin either. Harvin was a much more physical player. Not that Richardson can't help open things but but he has to prove he can be a threat which he hasn't yet.

On one hand I applaud Pete for moving on if it needed to be done and it did take guts but on the other hand I don't know how the offense can take a positive step forward. Really worried about a Baldwin, Kearse, Walters trio leading the way.

They are already stacking the box. Having Percy did nothing ala Cowboys...

mikeak

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":1uk30ay0 said:
I also think Pete took a good look at this team and doesn't the hideous depth we have everywhere because of our salary cap issues. We had no ability this past offseason to keep anybody and it showed up huge last game.

We did ZERO creative thinking to move cap numbers around. No re-signing of players to future hits etc like most other team. Heck Bears have it in their player contracts that they can do this WITHOUT talking to the player. They just convert money to signing bonus and move the hit to later years.

We have a $3M cap space which is tight but that is without being creative.

We are only showing a $110 million cap hit next year which includes the extensions we did for Sherman etc.

RW will not have a significant hit next year as he will get extended moving the real hit to 2016 and only getting the signing bonus 2015

Everyone on TV loves to say how we are going to be in cap problems but Idzik did a great job with PC and JS to manage the cap. We are looking good for years to come and I expect Idzik to be back in 2 years moving things forward :)

hawkfannj

Reaction score
Makes losing golden Tate hurt a lot more now . I'm not a smart man but I just don't get this one at all don't make much sense to me

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
razgriz737":2u5uyvny said:
DavidSeven":2u5uyvny said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/status/523242783474085889[/tweet]
Jesus Christ. Harvin sounds like a complete jackass. I feel really bad that we let go of Tate now.

OK someone find this photo

hawkfan68

Reaction score
King Dog":2jn2dgpp said:
Walters on the jet sweep this week?

Noooooo...I want to see less of Walters not more of him on the field. Hopefully it's Christine Michael taking over the kickoff return duties.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I now stand by my prediction of us losing to the Rams Sunday....... We are headed for a tough season.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
hawknation2014":17ediu7u said:
Scottemojo":17ediu7u said:
hawknation2014":17ediu7u said:
rainger":17ediu7u said:
This smacks of Pete Carroll and his philosophy.

Honestly, I can't recall a time when something similar has happened during Pete Carroll's career with any team. I thought Harvin was one of Carroll's "favorites," a unique athlete he was willing to be extremely patient with in the hopes that it would pay dividends in a big game. This move is extremely uncharacteristic of Carroll. To me, it is somewhat of an overreaction to Harvin's short term struggles in learning the playbook. I think they could have found a better trade deal after this season.
Pete got rid of Houshmanzadeh for his attitude, IIRC. Took a big cap hit to do it too.

T.J. was never a Carroll favorite . . . he was brought on under the old regime and was part of Carroll's initial roster purge.
Housh was cut after going through training camp and the season was about to begin. They tried to trade him, couldn't, and cut him while still paying him 6.5 mil. To play for Baltimore. Pete reportedly didn't like his attitude and was thinking he was bad for the WR corps.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MoneyLynch/status/523228675353767936[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/cliffavril/status/523228726385856512[/tweet]

kearly

Reaction score
This is sudden and shocking, but not surprising. I would have expected Harvin to be on the trade block next March, this was just a bit sooner. He's owed a ton of money without getting the kind of production that money requires, he's a high maintenance player who has clearly impacted Bevell's playcalling this season.

At our best, Harvin makes Seattle a much better team, but at our worst he posed too much of a threat to Seattle's "control to win" identity. For Seattle to get back on track to being a team that controls to win, that would mean more Lynch and less Harvin, and it's not hard to see how this would create headaches in the locker room.

As Scotte says, this move is 100% Pete. Just like the move to get Percy in the first place. Pete wanted Harvin for a really long time.

There is a degree of truth to Pete's official explanation. Running an offense that could feature Harvin and still impose it's will is very difficult to do, and I think Seattle would rather have a team that controls the game more consistently even at the expense of being less explosive or dynamic.

But that said, this is clearly motivated by locker room issues. And this isn't the first time we've seen Pete do this. In 2009, Housh was our leading WR. He didn't even catch a regular season pass here in 2010, because Pete valued "buying in" that much. The move to cut Housh didn't save Seattle a single cent, in fact it actually cost them money because they had to pay his replacement. Contrast that with the team paying Sidney Rice all that money all those years because he was a good organizational soldier.

I'm not trying to impugn Harvin's character. But we knew before the trade that he's a guy that's difficult to be around if things aren't going perfect. The struggle between dynamism and control and managing the ball-hogging egos of Harvin and Lynch proved too much. Especially when the more problematic of the two was the one who needed to be minimized for the benefit of the team.

This trade makes all the sense in the world to me. I am not the least bit upset. Seattle is not able to control teams with defense in 2014. However, they have the tools to control teams with their offense, but only if they marginalize Harvin. In the two games where they didn't control the game on offense, they lost. Of course, reducing Harvin's role would cause problems in the locker room, if there weren't problems already. That Seattle has been looking to trade Harvin for some time is not a surprise to me either.

And though I really hate to say this, I wouldn't be surprised if we also see Christine Michael being traded as well in the next calendar year. There are very few plausible reasons for him not being activated for games other than one of the coaches (probably Cable) hating his guts.

Moving forward, this trade gives Seattle some much needed cap flexibility with their current 3 year plan, and it will give Seattle a draft pick in the area of the draft where they've had success.

As far as the original trade, I had my reservations about it at the time, because I wondered how Harvin would fit personality wise with a coach who values relationships more than any coach in the NFL, especially given Pete's past history with players like Housh and Lendale White. I think Pete knew this was a gamble and sometimes you lose those. What Pete was not wrong about is that this team badly needs a true #1 WR and I can't blame him for trying to get one.

The part of the original trade that hurts the most is that the 2013 draft was one of the best late 1st round groups of talent I've ever seen. Had they kept the pick, they very well might have drafted DeAndre Hopkins, and even the somewhat pedestrian Datone Jones would be a nice fit on our D-line too.

For those wringing their hands for Tate, I'm not saying the rumors about him and Wilson's wife are true, but the FO acted in such a way that made me think they believed the rumors. They lowballed his ass and did not make a counter offer when given the chance, even though they knew full well how valuable he was to our team.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
hawkfan68":15p3hqmc said:
King Dog":15p3hqmc said:
Walters on the jet sweep this week?

Noooooo...I want to see less of Walters not more of him on the field. Hopefully it's Christine Michael taking over the kickoff return duties.

Had Michael practiced at all on returns? His athleticism would appear to make him a natural fit but I have not heard anything about that.

seahawk 17

Reaction score
Other than wasting a 1st round draft pick, no big loss. The team was so much better with out him last season.

* I did post in the very beginning this was a Branch 2.0 situation.

minormillikin

Reaction score
Maybe we've finalized a deal with the rugby player. And maybe they're bringing back the Konz.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score

Attachments

• Tate.jpg
    Tate.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 1,089
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts