BREAKING NEWS: Percy Harvin Traded to Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seafan

Reaction score
The Hawks have been trying to move Percy for several weeks. Whatever reason doesn't matter. He's gone.

Hopefully this can be used as a wake up call to the other players.

With the cap space going forward it could mean Max and KJ both can be resigned or perhaps Wags.

It was a shock but in a sense it wasn't.

I was riding in the car with my 15 year old son when we heard the news. He started crying.

hawk45

Reaction score
warden":o6mv9o9d said:
hawk45":o6mv9o9d said:
hawkpride":o6mv9o9d said:
ESPN breaking news on this states the reason is the trouble the Hawks have had on offence sense trying to implement him into the offensive scheme.

If so this is a catastrophic failure from JS, Pete, and bevell. Bevell had him on Minnie for crying out loud.

I take it back it's a catastrophic failure by all no matter what.

Last year, the Seahawks went for it in the offseason, made moves which they figured would put them over the top to win the Superbowl. Traded for Harvin, signed Bennet and Avril. Guess what they succeeded, they won the Superbowl. This is not a catastrophic failure, but you can keep acting all intelligent with your 20 20 hind sight.

The fact that they made awesome moves that led to a Super Bowl does not mean losing 3 draft picks isn't a failure. But conflating what I said with me saying last season was a failure or the front office as a whole is a failure is a great way to act all intelligent with your straw man so by all means carry on I'm sure someone out there who struggles with language will find you very convincing.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kidhawk":2a0f8z5t said:
jblaze":2a0f8z5t said:
710 ESPN Seattle retweeted
mike freeman ‏@mikefreemanNFL 37s38 seconds ago

Seahawks team source: "Percy didn't want to be here. We accommodated him."
Expand

Retweet
Favorite

I'm sure I saw somewhere either on twitter or heard on radio or ESPN that Percy didn't ask for a trade. I think there has to be some sort of clash between Percy and Coach(es)
I think the effective translation is that Percy's actions were interpreted as not wanting to be here. He acts a certain way, he gone.

Pete coveted Percy. Only Pete could say get rid of him.

minormillikin

Reaction score
Ummm... We need a pro receiver now.

Percy gone, tate gone, rice retired... Maybe time for another unprecedented /strange midseason trade.

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
Harvin last caught a TD pass in October 2012. Harvin has not cracked 60+ yards receiving in a game for Seattle.

I think the idea of Harvin was better than the reality of Harvin. And if he was not on board with team and/or couldn't run routes and/or was a PITA diva for the front office, then he needed to go. Maybe his lack of production this year was because he didn't really want to be here. He was just too expensive for what we were getting in return.

MeanBlueGreen

Reaction score
AgentDib":2isth2c8 said:
bigwrm":2isth2c8 said:
Yep, time to start rooting for big production/playing time for percy and jets losses.
You said it, Hawks fans now want to see the Jets lose out while getting great numbers from Harvin.

The worst outcome of this for me would be if Harvin dominates on the Jets and wins games for them. That would have me seriously questioning Bevell's ability to use him and the FO's management of this situation.

Seems like Bevell tried to use him way too many times! Not a good fit for our offense, despite the great talent. We need lineman more than Harvin...we're not
Going to win any games because of him but we will lose them without quality lineman...

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawk Strap":3qgblqgw said:
flmmkrz":3qgblqgw said:
Nbc sports was saying there was friction with Russ, for what thats worth

Forget trading him...stone the bastard!!!

This actually makes more sense than a coaching issue. There really had to have been a conflict with someone big.

sa_seahawker

Reaction score
blue 22":112l1mws said:
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 9m9 minutes ago
Percy Harvin's anger management issues have followed him, and I'm told that was part of the problem in Seattle.

If his anger management issues are constantly affecting his playability....we should have just traded him to the Niners! LoL #SleeperSabotage!!! :twisted:

LoL jk

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
DavidSeven":iki50mi4 said:
So, I'm to believe it's more believable that they started shopping him 5 days after a single poor performance vs. Dallas?

He scored three TDs versus Washington (whiped out). Integration into the offense wasn't an issue until the Dallas game. Unless you think our FO reacts as instantaneously as our fanbase, then integration into the offense is not a viable explanation.

Like I said, I don't believe it's just one thing. I believe his attitude/ anger issues may have played a bigger part than is known at this point. I never noticed him being rude or disgruntled in press conferences and he always kinda seemed like the quiet type while he was here, but maybe that was just a mask.

If he was getting frustrated with the plays Bevell wanted to call he may have spoken up or had some sort of tirade, just speculation. Perhaps something boiled over after the Cowboys game, who knows.

Lynch had 6 carries against San Diego and we lost, the utilization of Percy has been poor since he's been here and it's taking away from players that were already in the system Seattle likes to run. Pete has said a million times, it's a run first grind it out type of team.

I think Pete and John took a chance, and unfortunately it just didn't work out.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Lord have mercy, there goes Percy!

kuh-raaazy.

mikeak

Reaction score
bigwrm":uxzcqax0 said:
mikeak":uxzcqax0 said:
fridayfrenzy":uxzcqax0 said:
This thinking that they are doing it to free up cap space is ridiculous. They could have just cut him after the season and kept Harvin for this year if it was truly about cap space. They wouldn't have received a conditional pick in return, but the cap space would have been the same.

I disagree

The deadmoney this year is shown at Spotract as $7.1 million BUT it is all shown under base salary.

Now his signing bonus was $12M so I think the above is incorrect. I think $2M / year for 5 remaining years is the cap hit.

Regardless the $5 to $7 million guaranteed this year should move over to Jets and not stay with Seahawks.

I think signing bonuses can only be spread over a max of 5 years, so that's $2.4 million per year. Since two years of that is already account for, I think that leaves a dead money hit of $7.2 million for next year.

You are correct.

So $7.2 next year. So if we released him in the offseason we would have gotten the same hit - $7.2 next year

The saving is in the salary this year.

Looks like $11million in salary this year per article below. $11M divided by 16 times 6 weeks played = $4.125M

So salary spent this year $4.125 million with a saving of about $7million this year. This saving rolls over to next year's salary cap which basically pays for the cap hit next year

So if you look at it from the money side you would have spent all the money this year for salary plus a $7million hit next year OR just consider it like spending all the money this year and not have the hit next year plus you get a draft pick

Article used: http://www.fieldgulls.com/2013-nfl-offs ... 67-million

Rat

Reaction score
Meeker":3do1u40z said:
Rat":3do1u40z said:
Snakeeyes007":3do1u40z said:
Perhaps a 2nd rounder that could become a 1st if Percy meets certain benchmarks, but no mid-rounder. :34853_doh:
His new QB is Geno Smith, so I wouldn't hold my breath on any conditions being met.

Are many conditional trades done with production? I'm only remembering playing time or starts used. Lets just hope he stays healthy.

Not sure why people expected a lot in terms of compensation...Harvin is coming off of a season in which he missed 16 games (including playoffs) which followed a season in which he missed 7 games. He has only played in all 16 games once in his career. He has also had attitude issues and is a unique player that requires altering your offense to get full effect. A 4th to 2nd is reasonable to me...
The Geno Smith comment was mostly tongue-in-cheek. Some trades are conditional on production, but like you said, it more often has to do with playing time. Hopefully, it is in this case because I can't see Harvin suddenly exploding with a young, badly struggling QB throwing to him. Vick did real well with DeSean Jackson, who is kind of Harvin-esque, so maybe the Jets will make that change soon and Harvin will do well.

I agree with your last paragraph, but those same concerns were surrounding Percy when we traded a 1st, 3rd and 7th for him.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Well that didn't work out as planned. Obviously, a huge miscalculation by the organization. He simply wasn't worth the trade bait or contract. Simple.

I also think Pete took a good look at this team and doesn't the hideous depth we have everywhere because of our salary cap issues. We had no ability this past offseason to keep anybody and it showed up huge last game.

One of the big contracts had to go.

If Percy's attitude or injury history made that decision easy - then so be it. Moreover, the fact that we spent big draft stock on WRs this past year means they can't stay on the bench all year. They have to play. We already caused issues keeping Michael on the bench for so long. His pick could have gone somewhere else.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
rainger":3bw75xxq said:
This smacks of Pete Carroll and his philosophy.

Honestly, I can't recall a time when something similar has happened during Pete Carroll's career with any team. I thought Harvin was one of Carroll's "favorites," a unique athlete he was willing to be extremely patient with in the hopes that it would pay dividends in a big game. This move is extremely uncharacteristic of Carroll. To me, it is somewhat of an overreaction to Harvin's short term struggles in learning the playbook. I think they could have found a better trade deal after this season.

Yoonhawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/status/523241558305275904[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/status/523242026540605441[/tweet]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts