BREAKING NEWS: Percy Harvin Traded to Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":n99pj8qb said:
Scottemojo":n99pj8qb said:
Why is one single person saying this is Schneider's worst deal? When they got Percy, Pete announced he has wanted this kid since high school.

Ding, ding, ding. Pete got hormonal, oh well.

I'm not sure why anyone's coming in telling us what we traded for him? We all know that. We all know the luxury of hindsight makes this a bad deal. I could care less. Unless it makes you sound smart (which it doesn't)?

They brought in PRich to be a Harvin double. Trading Percy today, doesn't mean we can go back in time or anything, so who cares about the picks.

Oh well..
No use crying over sunk costs.
Only one guy wanted Percy, and only one guy got rid of him. Pete. Pete wanted him gone an nearly any cost.

And Pete will put up with some shit if he thinks a guy buys in.

bigwrm

Reaction score
mikeak":6xx6i41l said:
fridayfrenzy":6xx6i41l said:
This thinking that they are doing it to free up cap space is ridiculous. They could have just cut him after the season and kept Harvin for this year if it was truly about cap space. They wouldn't have received a conditional pick in return, but the cap space would have been the same.

I disagree

The deadmoney this year is shown at Spotract as $7.1 million BUT it is all shown under base salary.

Now his signing bonus was $12M so I think the above is incorrect. I think $2M / year for 5 remaining years is the cap hit.

Regardless the $5 to $7 million guaranteed this year should move over to Jets and not stay with Seahawks.

I think signing bonuses can only be spread over a max of 5 years, so that's $2.4 million per year. Since two years of that is already account for, I think that leaves a dead money hit of $7.2 million for next year.

sa_seahawker

Reaction score
Pizza Mane":11w42db7 said:
nearly bought a Percy jersey from a store near my office, held off because it seemed like alot of money. Is it crazy to buy one now because they'll be on clearance?

It’s because of that exact reason I only buy “legendary” or “franchise” player jerseys like 12thman, Jones, Tez, and Largent. I also consider Hasselbeck and Alexander in the same crowd.

DavidSeven":11w42db7 said:
So, you really believe that one year after selling the farm on the "most dynamic player in football," Pete Carroll decided to sell Harvin for pennies to the dollar and took a colossal dead money hit so he could get back to running a simplistic run-and-play-action offense?

They've been shopping him for weeks. You think he made this decision after he lit up Green Bay or after he housed a 50-yard run in San Diego?

Maybe someone in the front office realized that it has been a couple years since the Seahawks bought a “big-time” receiver only to watch them under-perform, wither, and fade away into non-existence (thinking Burleson and Branch off the top of my head)

Seattle….Where good receivers go to die! LoL

——————————————————————

But seriously though, even if it turns out to be true that mgmt thought he just wasn’t working out, they could have gotten something a little better than a conditional mid rounder. It’s like when grandma dies and you have to do something with her Mercedes, most people will at least sell it at market value….not give it away to Good Will for a tax credit!

They dumped him 7 weeks in when they could've used the money on Tater, Thurmond, Clemons, or Bryant. Hell, maybe they could have hung onto McQuistan or Giacomini?!

ManBunts

Reaction score
Feed the Hawk":30xt2o62 said:
ManBunts":30xt2o62 said:
I've settled down and had a beer to rethink this:
-Percy's biggest value was in his threat. People had to guard against what he COULD do. He's lined up wide but might go in motion to a jet sweep or run a crossing route. His dynamacy was the most dangerous thing
BUT
-Percy, as a player, for what we dealt and paid, has been a bust. I loved that return in the SB. It was a dagger. They were on the ropes and it was a haymaker. But otherwise, his production has been horrible based on two seasons-ish of work. Too many injuries.
AND SO
-We have Richardson, who is allegedly a younger Harvin. Walters to handle kickoffs. And it just freed up a ton of cash for landing some lineman. Yes, we're eating some dead money, but there's still plenty left to spend.
THAT SAID
-You don't just eat those picks and that money for no reason. So we're looking at attitude or injury. I don't buy this "can't fit him into the offense crap". If we were going to lose THAT much, then you just stick him at returns and get some sort of profit there. He can be dangerous enough in that role. And I know JS/PC value morale, but I don't see them doing this just based on attitude as I've heard. It's too big a loss, makes no fiscal sense. Again, put him on returns.
THEREFORE
-I've convinced myself it's injury related. And so I'm okay with this. No more waiting, no more tying up money, let's focus on developing Richardson and Norwood, let's buy some damn protection for Russell.

2 seasons-ish of work? The man didn't even play a full 8 games.

You also can't trade an injured player.

Thus the -ish part, obviously he was injured. And you can trade an injured player if their contract doesn't forbid it.

kidhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":19umcqgd said:
fridayfrenzy":19umcqgd said:
This thinking that they are doing it to free up cap space is ridiculous. They could have just cut him after the season and kept Harvin for this year if it was truly about cap space. They wouldn't have received a conditional pick in return, but the cap space would have been the same.

EDIT: Nevermind the info I saw on spotrac had already changed to Jets.

WOW THEY GAVE HIM $12Million signing bonus

Does anyone know what the seahawks signing bonus was?

Remember dead money this year for salary should have moved from the seahawks to Jets - only signing bonus portion for the rest of hte contract would be the cap hit. If we cut him next year the signing bonus for the remaining years would have hit next year

I don't believe he got a reworked deal in NY. We have $6+ million dead money this year and next

DavidSeven

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":193z38ne said:
DavidSeven":193z38ne said:
NFSeahawks628":193z38ne said:
DavidSeven":193z38ne said:
Oh jeez. We're really going to play the "Percy Harvin is a locker-room cancer, FIRE BEVELL" card? Really?

No bro, were playing the, "Pete is dumbing down the offensive play calls for Bevell" card.

Well at least I am.

So, you really believe that one year after selling the farm on the "most dynamic player in football," Pete Carroll decided to sell Harvin for pennies to the dollar and took a colossal dead money hit so he could get back to running a simplistic run-and-play-action offense?

They've been shopping him for weeks. You think he made this decision after he lit up Green Bay or after he housed a 50-yard run in San Diego?

I think it's a combination of both scenarios, and please don't pretend like you knew he was on the trade market, you didn't.

Just because information is on twitter, that doesn't mean it's your information.

I'm a no BS type of guy DavidSeven I'm sure you know that, no hard feelings.

So, I'm to believe it's more believable that they started shopping him 5 days after a single poor performance vs. Dallas?

He scored three TDs versus Washington (whiped out). Integration into the offense wasn't an issue until the Dallas game. Unless you think our FO reacts as instantaneously as our fanbase, then integration into the offense is not a viable explanation.

mikeak

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":1onzhn9q said:
Full of baloney if you think this is the worst transaction in Schneider's tenure. He didn't mortgage the future of Seattle, right? We're doing fine without Harvin. We won the Super Bowl without Harvin. He played like what, 5 games as a Seahawk? We'll be fine.

But I look forward to another .net meltdown.

You do realize that it doesn't have to be disastrous for the team to be his worst move right?

He gave up a 1st and 2nd round, he paid a ton of money last year and quite a bit this year.

I am not saying it killed the franchise (as you say we won a superbowl) but please tell me which specific move by Schnedier was worse?

blkhwk

Reaction score
If its injury related he will fail his Jets physical and be back with the 'Hawks. This has to be due to chemistry. Albert Breer on twitter just posted "anger issues" & Bleacher Report (I know, I know) just posted the WR room had "issues" with him.

So read between the lines on Baldwin's rant

This is not injury related....

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Eventually the truth will come out.

I am guessing late or no show for practices, meetings. Bevell mentioned this Wednesday having to get him his touches. So maybe toss in some maintenance issues.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
So we give up a 1st round pick for Harvin. Then we get rid of Tate. Now we get rid of Harvin for basically nothing, after giving up a 1st rounder. And we expect Richardson who has 1 catch to step up? Hmm sounds like we took one step forward and two steps back.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":37f9wx1n said:
I'd be awkward if he failed the physical.

Yea it would. Of course it's odd that we were shopping him for a few weeks and this is the best we could do. There's just something we haven't heard yet

jblaze

Reaction score
We save 7m this year on prorated salary, we take a 7m hit next year in dead money.

It's a wash from this point forward. Not worth the huge salary and headaches apparently. Very little production to date.

After thinking about it a while, I think this will help us in the long run. Cut and run.

warden

Reaction score
hawk45":3qfomxyh said:
hawkpride":3qfomxyh said:
ESPN breaking news on this states the reason is the trouble the Hawks have had on offence sense trying to implement him into the offensive scheme.

If so this is a catastrophic failure from JS, Pete, and bevell. Bevell had him on Minnie for crying out loud.

I take it back it's a catastrophic failure by all no matter what.

Last year, the Seahawks went for it in the offseason, made moves which they figured would put them over the top to win the Superbowl. Traded for Harvin, signed Bennet and Avril. Guess what they succeeded, they won the Superbowl. This is not a catastrophic failure, but you can keep acting all intelligent with your 20 20 hind sight.

nanomoz

Reaction score
So, letting Tate walk really sucks right now.

jblaze

Reaction score
710 ESPN Seattle retweeted
mike freeman ‏@mikefreemanNFL 37s38 seconds ago

Seahawks team source: "Percy didn't want to be here. We accommodated him."
Expand

Retweet
Favorite

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
With the recent issues on offense, and Percy having trouble knowing the plays, I think there's a Percy issue. There's gotta be more to the story, hopefully we'll find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.