BREAKING NEWS: Percy Harvin Traded to Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmat

Reaction score
I don't really care how many picks it cost us to get him, and I'm not concerned with what we got in return. The fact of the matter is that although he played little, he helped us win the Super Bowl last year. For that, it was worth many picks and zillions of dollars to me.

As for is departure, I don't believe for a minute that this was a salary cap move, or a move made for scheme reasons. If a player with his talent is moved early in the year by a contending team that is struggling on offense, it points to issues with something like attitude, commitment, or chemistry.

keatonisballin

Reaction score
So now we have Kearse, Baldwin and Lockette? Wow. Let's hope we get back to running it up the gut and deep shots. Get rid of the sweeps and bubbles.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
This move is directly related to Bevell's ability to run the offense.

Pete is "dumbing" down the system so that it can work for Bevell.

Honestly I'm kinda happy about this, if I had to make a f'ing "Why isn't Lynch getting more carries" thread every week because of the retarded plays we called for Percy, I would have probably ended up blowing my brains out.

Plus any attitude/personality concerns with Harvin, although I haven't noticed any issues, the coaching staff and team probably knows more.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Oh jeez. We're really going to play the "Percy Harvin is a locker-room cancer, FIRE BEVELL" card? Really?

sa_seahawker

Reaction score
Feed the Hawk":3u00d8z2 said:
Marvin49":3u00d8z2 said:
bigwrm":3u00d8z2 said:
Well at least they weren't too proud to recognize their mistake and make a bold move. It seems like Percy is a guy Pete was always enamored with and wanted at any cost. That trade and contract will now go down as the biggest mistake in the PC/JS era.

A lot of fans of other teams would say that's just trying to justify...

...but not this Niner fan.

The mark of a really good GM isn't that he doesn't make mistakes. Its that he quickly recognizes the mistake and rectifies it instead of pushing a bad situation. I didn't see this coming at all and as a Niner fan I didn't want to face Harvin so I'm a bit dumbfounded...

...but if it really wasn't working it a good move to move quickly.

True, this is some Art of War logic here (and props to a 9ers fan for using logic!). However, we sacrificed a ton of draft capital to do it. That and other failures in the First round post 2010 is going to come back to bite us in the ass sooner than later.

Okay, so PH didn't really do that much in Seattle, but they could've at least picked SOMEONE up for him. He still has resale value....a decent OL lineman...something? ....but a conditional mid-round pick?!

MeanBlueGreen

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2xwd8f6k said:
Softy just confirmed the trade.

Percy is gone. Obviously, whatever was going on behind the scenes last year and this year couldn't be overcome.

Time to move on.

Guessing the cap hit proved to be more than the ROI...not like we're going to get hurt as an offense...he wasn't doing anything...it's like letting go a salesperson who has the most potential to land the big deals and has shown flashes but the reality is there is no production...

Rat

Reaction score
Snakeeyes007":2btxmag4 said:
Perhaps a 2nd rounder that could become a 1st if Percy meets certain benchmarks, but no mid-rounder. :34853_doh:
His new QB is Geno Smith, so I wouldn't hold my breath on any conditions being met.

hawk45

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2s4j3fpx said:
I'm not really buying the "this trade got us the Super Bowl argument."

Seattle had Denver outmatched with or without Harvin. He was largely a non-factor in the rest of the season.
^^^ this

All Percy did was arrive, get injured immediately with drama and confusion around the injury, return a kick or two, and apparently be so toxic that they have been trying to trade him since day 1.

Glad they're cutting their losses but holy smokes what a dumpster fire of a move in the first place. I will now be terrified of any big moves we make.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
He was stealing the ball from Lynch last week, Lynch is our action guy. Percy had his moments in SB48 and has since petered out to a fizzle.

Beast time!!

FloridaSeahawk18

Reaction score
Does this explain the Walters option/jet sweeps? Think there is something big underlying here.

Something like you aren't a team player, you don't play.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2nxuz6qx said:
Oh jeez. We're really going to play the "Percy Harvin is a locker-room cancer, FIRE BEVELL" card? Really?

No bro, were playing the, "Pete is dumbing down the offensive play calls for Bevell" card.

Well at least I am.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Only Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald have higher contract values than Percy had here. I have to think that compensation was a huge part of this, as we decided that we weren't getting production from Harvin anywhere near his pay level and every dollar matters with our upcoming contracts.

A really huge miss by the front office, larger than transition tag fiasco with Hutch.

MeanBlueGreen

Reaction score
fridayfrenzy":3mgd4008 said:
This thinking that they are doing it to free up cap space is ridiculous. They could have just cut him after the season and kept Harvin for this year if it was truly about cap space. They wouldn't have received a conditional pick in return, but the cap space would have been the same.

Nope, don't think it's that ridiculous. It's been clear to me that, unfortunately, he is not a good fit for our offense. Some of that is chemistry, some is personnel and some is just timing, but the net result is...he has been wildly unproductive this year...punt returns, fly sweeps, bubble screens etc....nothing. So, cut ties now and save cap space? Sure, why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts