Brandon Coleman

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":304912cp said:
Recon_Hawk":304912cp said:
I've been watching a few games of Missouri games to get a feel for Justin Britt and seeing a lot of Dorial Green-Beckham making plays in a variety of ways. When compared to Coleman it really does show the difference between a 6'6" receiver who deserves the first round hype (not taking character concerns into consideration) and a 6'6" player overhyped on potential. Seriously, Coleman never has and never will play the game like DGB. I don't mean to knock Coleman, but the gap between those two is so far apart it's a bit comical now to think he was ever considered a first round talent.

Right now I'd have to agree. I think Coleman can have success but his ceiling isn't Megatron; his measurables aren't even close. Before his injury I could conceivably see him being a 1st round prospect, so to say it's comical that he was 'ever' considered a first rounder is a stretch.

As for DGB, now that's sad. Sucks to see these kind of prospects throwing away their opportunities. If he got his head screwed on then he really could be great. Last I heard is that Eastern Illinois had enquired about him but Missouri haven't actually released him yet. A change would probably do him good, and let's not forget our first draft pick got kicked off his team. Hope he can get back on track.

At this time last year, I wouldn't have said it was comical to say Coleman was a first round possibility heading into the 2014 season, but hindsight is 20-20. I saw much of the same things other people saw to agree that he had talent, but needed to improve on some issues. Saying it was comical is based on what I've seen his last two seasons.

Coleman was reported to have been given a 3rd round grade from the advisory board after his sophomore year and was considered a mid-round grade after this last year, with most grading him on potential. I think if you asked people to be honest on why they had a first round grade predictions on BC after 2012, it was based on him fixing his route-running, high-pointing the ball, hands, body control, and competitiveness going into his junior year. Problem is, he only regressed or stayed the same this last season. When the same issues shows itself to be a problem two years in a row, you have to take potential out of the equation and grade on what you see on tape, which, imo, wasn't close to the projection grades he was getting.

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":34byc2m7 said:
It feels like the motives of some of this post draft sniping are less than kind. A few seem to want to rub some faces in a failure. AMIRITE? A lot of chest thumping in here. Chest thumpers beware, it's a long fall when you are wrong.

I thought Jesse Williams was a first round prospect, what ever the hell that means. I didn't know he had a chronic knee. I thought Matt Barkley would go in the first ten picks. I thought Darrius Heyward Bey was a 5th round prospect, and the Jenkins kid the Niners took in the first as well. So how can I throw stones at the guys who thought Coleman would go high in the draft? I don't know shit either.

We debate for months on prospects, but once the draft is over we hardly ever go back and discuss why we may have missed or hit on prospects. There's a lot to learn by opening it back up to discussion after the fact, if only to improve on our scouting ability.

Brandon Coleman is an interesting case study because of all that surrounded him. He's been one of the most debated players on this board, with posters on both ends of the spectrum on where he'll be drafted. A huge potential guy with humungous size and speed, but questionable skills. A crappy QB throwing to him, but with injury concerns, too.

This conversation could easily be about why Marqise Lee was passed on by Seattle, though he was considered a top-15 talent the last two years or why Allen Robinson fell to the late 2nd round when he was graded by many as a first rounder or even why martavis bryant went in the fourth round when he seemed to fit exactly what Seattle wanted.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":1yfsn5tc said:
Scottemojo":1yfsn5tc said:
It feels like the motives of some of this post draft sniping are less than kind. A few seem to want to rub some faces in a failure. AMIRITE? A lot of chest thumping in here. Chest thumpers beware, it's a long fall when you are wrong.

I thought Jesse Williams was a first round prospect, what ever the hell that means. I didn't know he had a chronic knee. I thought Matt Barkley would go in the first ten picks. I thought Darrius Heyward Bey was a 5th round prospect, and the Jenkins kid the Niners took in the first as well. So how can I throw stones at the guys who thought Coleman would go high in the draft? I don't know shit either.

We debate for months on prospects, but once the draft is over we hardly ever go back and discuss why we may have missed or hit on prospects. There's a lot to learn by opening it back up to discussion after the fact, if only to improve on our scouting ability.

Post mortems are ok. But that's clearly not where this thread was ever going. This is purely a draftnik wedgie being applied after the fact. Even to the point of blatantly taking 2 year quotes out of context to embellish the criticism.

Spounge84

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":livbse8u said:
Scottemojo":livbse8u said:

Perhaps that's because it's foolish to grade a player solely on the round he was chosen in. Right now is not "after the fact", it's still during, as in Coleman still gets the chance to prove he was worthy of a first round pick like many thought he was.

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Spounge84":1w73ux0b said:
Recon_Hawk":1w73ux0b said:

Perhaps that's because it's foolish to grade a player solely on the round he was chosen in. Right now is not "after the fact", it's still during, as in Coleman still gets the chance to prove he was worthy of a first round pick like many thought he was.

The draft is the biggest indicator of how all 32 teams view these players to this point. Instead of quotes from anonymous scouts to support our personal draft grades, we've had an actual system play out in front of us which, by design, shows the value the league has on these players through its choice of picks, or in some cases, its choice of who itsn't picked. You don't have to wait 3 years to gain some perspective from it.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":23ao0lwq said:
Hasselbeck":23ao0lwq said:
You compared him to Calvin Johnson

In 2012, after his first full season in college football, based on his size/speed potential, pre-reconstructed knee.

Don't try too hard.

Missed the point. I said he was grossly overrated ON THIS SITE .. that was just a small sampling of evidence.

If he pans out as an UDFA it wouldn't surprise me.. happens quite a bit these days with receivers.. I'm just saying his bandwagon had a lot more people on it than it probably should have.

General Manager

Reaction score
Everyone on this board has been wrong about a player they liked or didn't like but the draft is over it's time to move on. Besides a better time to look at these players is at the end of the year after they have played some actual NFL football.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
He's in a good situation in NO. Just because he went undrafted doesn't mean he's a bust, or that he lacks talent. Knee issue, simple as that. Lest we not forget how talented and crucial UDFA's are as Seahawks fans. ADB, anyone?

His stock fell, knee injury, but yes, he's also probably a bit raw at WR; but, he's a kid, he has time to develop, and with hard work he will learn. You can't teach 6'6''.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me why the dude who rode the Flynn over Wilson bandwagon for 6 months gets to throw stones?