BRADY/PATS PUNISHMENT OVER TURNED BY JUDGE. (Updated 9/3/15)

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3mg7p143 said:
If the penalties to Brady/the Patriots get reduced, I'm going to be livid.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/600663888519127040[/tweet]
Why would it get reduced? Wasn't Goodell the one who gave Brady the original suspension? He being friends with Kraft didn't effect the original suspension so why should it effect the appeal?

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2x3a9xs2 said:
RolandDeschain":2x3a9xs2 said:

Why would it get reduced? Wasn't Goodell the one who gave Brady the original suspension? He being friends with Kraft didn't effect the original suspension so why should it effect the appeal?

Goodell didn't handle the original suspension, that's why he's allowed to oversee the appeal.

kidhawk

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":i3u75pdu said:
kidhawk":i3u75pdu said:
Hawkfan77":i3u75pdu said:
RolandDeschain":i3u75pdu said:

Goodell didn't handle the original suspension, that's why he's allowed to oversee the appeal.

He could oversee the appeal either way, I believe. It is in the CBA.

If he tried to do both, they would easily go to court and have him removed for a neutral arbitrator. Many speculated that Vincent was given the original suspension duty so Goodell could hear the suspension and not be removed.

It wouldn't surprise me if Goodell reduced both penalties. I could easily see his thought process being along the lines of "we'll hit them hard up front, then when the outcry is that it was too much, we can reduce it and seem fair". Only time will tell.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":cjg6a8l3 said:
RolandDeschain":cjg6a8l3 said:

The Patriots (read: Kraft) would have threatened huge lawsuits, etc. Because of sloppy work the hard evidence in the Wells Report is actually crap..the readings are crap, the ref didnt even know which needle he used to check the pressure pre-game (the two needles were giving different readings...one more thing that can be used against it).. The law suit would be damaging to the league..

all in all.. because the NFL didnt think they were going to find anything in the first place, the Pats are going to get away with something again Im guessing.. because on that game day they didnt do anything right. Theres circumstantial evidence that cant be denied, but thats it.. Perhaps the NFL would win the lawsuit, but it would be damaging anyway.

Behind the curtain deal being worked out right now..and it stinks. Damage might be done anyway.. Pats fans will be happy , but 31 other franchises' fans are gonna feel pissed off. At least.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Kraft is saying right now, that they won't appeal the team punishment, but Brady's Appeal will go forward.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I just listened to Robert Kraft's press conference.
IMHO, he did the only thing that he could have to come out looking half decent.
He accepted the punishment, he wants to move forward.
I think he knows that trying to fight, at this point, only would make matters worse.
Kudos to him for taking this approach.
Edit:
Tom Brady, IMHO, should "man up" and do the same thing.
It's really the only thing, at this point in time, that will allow him to save any face.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Man...I wonder what was said ... to even drop the appeal.. this is one of those things that us common folk are NEVER gone know the whole story to..

kidhawk

Reaction score
Vetamur":35ji3v2o said:
Man...I wonder what was said ... to even drop the appeal.. this is one of those things that us common folk are NEVER gone know the whole story to..

It almost makes you wonder if the NFL knows more than they released in the report, but don't want to add any more damage to the league than has already been done.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Looks like someone had some incriminating pictures of someone else from the pre Super Bowl party last year.

This smells like some deal was cut to reduce Brady's suspension through the NFLPA appeal.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":14j7bxk7 said:
Vetamur":14j7bxk7 said:

I'll be honest with you, Ross, I've always imagined some sort of complex clandestine network of Native Americans who obtain and share secrets such as these amongst themselves and white people (rightfully) never get to get in on them. One of my favorite films is a movie called 'Dead Man', with Johnny Depp and Gary Farmer. It's said to have a great many 'in-jokes' from Native American culture, but alas, I neither picked up nor understood any of them. that's the kind of thing I'm talking about. Like someone who's 1/64th Cherokee was in the room when the Goodell/Kraft thing went down, and they put it all out there on some secret native american website called like "smokesignals.org" or whatever. Is that not correct?

It is a dot.Com....cant be an org as it would be too conspicuous. :mrgreen: :twisted:

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
Vetamur":30tcmoon said:

I'd almost bet that Wells showed Kraft ALL of the information he has on Brady. Kraft, realizing if this went public, he'd end up looking like an ass and the Pats' legacy would be even further tarnished.

So, he 'reluctantly' agrees to the punishment for the good of the NFL. Yeah, right.

We'll be seeing Brady retire in the next 2-3 years.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
It's what we all suspected. There is no way the Patriots could escape unscathed from a formal discovery process. Once Goodell drew a line in the sand and said he would oversee the appeals, the Patriots were out of options. There is no way they could take this to court and expose their company records to the entire world. Not surprised at all by this.

athanas

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2dnbi42g said:
This smells like some deal was cut to reduce Brady's suspension through the NFLPA appeal.

That was the first thought that I had, as well.
Will not be surprised to see Brady's suspension reduced to 1-2 games, now.

chris98251

Reaction score
I am thinking that he did not have the backing of the other owners and by continueing this he would have been the Red Headed stepchild, rememeber they want to compete on a level playing field as much as possible also. Think back to the poisen pill, the other owners did not like it and Minny while allowed the one instance and us ours with Burleson agreed not to do it anymore. Peer pressure!

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
chris98251":f4xff2r6 said:
I am thinking that he did not have the backing of the other owners and by continueing continuing this he would have been the Red Headed red-headed stepchild, rememeber remember they want to compete on a level playing field as much as possible also. Think back to the poisen poison pill, the other owners did not like it and Minny while allowed the one instance and us ours with Burleson agreed not to do it anymore. Peer pressure!

...And I didn't even correct everything. Damn, Chris. Lay off the booze this early in the day.

Krieg's list

Reaction score
I'm kind of shocked that I'm the only one here cynical enough to think the whole Patriots protest of the Troy Vincent punishment was an orchestrated farce. Everyone knows both the league office and the Patriots want this story buried. A slap-on-the-wrist punishment was agreed upon (after shamelessly weighing public opinion), then the Patriots would wildly protest publicly before relenting as the NFL stood its ground. It was nothing more than a predictable, transparent attempt to sway the public to feel that the penalties must be "fair", justice is being served, and that the Patriots are actually taking their medicine (while not actually admitting any wrong doing in the face of damning evidence).

Light punishment aside, the thing I find most troubling about this story has been the NFL's ability to keep the investigation confined to the AFC title game. If, during a 2014 tax audit, the IRS found convincing evidence of tax evasion in past years, would they simply ignore the evidence of prior violations and issue a fine based solely on improprieties in the 2014 tax year? It seems preposterous after the investigation of the Saints bounty scandal that the Patriots/NFL have been able to succeed in limiting the scope of this investigation to one game despite solid evidence of earlier deflating AND numerous prior complaints from other teams. Why is no one calling for the league to launch a full investigation into illegal ball preparation, particularly over the time frame in which it was both possible (since the 2007 rule change, infamously championed by Tom Brady) and supported by circumstantial statistical data (2007-present... hey, wait a minute!)?

It's saddening to see the extent to which the media has become a mouthpiece (and nothing more) for the sports leagues upon which it relies. Even sadder is seeing how-- despite that-- it appears to remain an effective tool in manipulating public opinion.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2nyg05iq said:
Looks like someone had some incriminating pictures of someone else from the pre Super Bowl party last year.

Yep, I am thinking this was a compromise to get Brady's suspension reduced to 2 games or less.