BRADY/PATS PUNISHMENT OVER TURNED BY JUDGE. (Updated 9/3/15)

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Hawkpower":3m11mjvh said:
And they have to play with a regulation football for the first time since 2006.

They've been having to play with regulation footballs on the road this entire time.

From King yesterday:

Since the NFL allowed all teams to condition footballs the way they wanted for use in both home and road games in 2006, the idea was that quarterbacks could play with footballs in the same shape for 16 weekends, not eight. (Previously, road quarterbacks played with footballs broken in in whatever way the home team wished.) But road teams do not bring their own ballboys to games. So, if a home-team ballboy was doctoring the footballs in any way before the game, that’s not something that could happen on the road. Brady, of course, is suspected of having the balls doctored for him in the AFC title game, and it’d be naïve to think that this was the first game in which two longtime club employees messed with the footballs for Brady.

But if John Jastremski or Jim McNally have done any funny business with the balls over the past few years, the results sure don’t show it. Some telling numbers for Brady in the nine regular seasons between 2006 and 2014:

Home Games
Passer Rating 100.2
Passing Yards per Game 271.8
TD-to-Interception Differential Plus-96

Road Games
Passer Rating 99.7
Passing Yards per Game 274.3

I'm totally fine with the punishment, but I also think the case for the material effects of the cheating have been consistently overstated.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/05/11/dante-fow ... eter-king/

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2484tt5z said:
Hawkpower":2484tt5z said:
And they have to play with a regulation football for the first time since 2006.

They've been having to play with regulation footballs on the road this entire time.

From King yesterday:

Since the NFL allowed all teams to condition footballs the way they wanted for use in both home and road games in 2006, the idea was that quarterbacks could play with footballs in the same shape for 16 weekends, not eight. (Previously, road quarterbacks played with footballs broken in in whatever way the home team wished.) But road teams do not bring their own ballboys to games. So, if a home-team ballboy was doctoring the footballs in any way before the game, that’s not something that could happen on the road. Brady, of course, is suspected of having the balls doctored for him in the AFC title game, and it’d be naïve to think that this was the first game in which two longtime club employees messed with the footballs for Brady.

But if John Jastremski or Jim McNally have done any funny business with the balls over the past few years, the results sure don’t show it. Some telling numbers for Brady in the nine regular seasons between 2006 and 2014:

Home Games
Passer Rating 100.2
Passing Yards per Game 271.8

Road Games
Passer Rating 99.7
Passing Yards per Game 274.3

I'm totally fine with the punishment, but I also think the case for the material effects of the cheating have been consistently overstated.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/05/11/dante-fow ... eter-king/

Peter King isn't on a lot of OUR "approved writers" lists. 8)
He is the Homer Simpson of sportswriters IMHO.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ No disagreement there. It's the numbers that matter though, not King's writing ability or takes.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I thought each team provided the footballs for their own possessions? Surely home-away splits wouldn't matter

Also...this whole thing is stupid.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
chris98251":3l5hf0eb said:
NWPatsFan

Fact Brady and the Patriots found Guilty by the Wells report, that was supported by the league or they would not have levied the fines and the suspension along with loss of draft picks, also found guilty by the Players union as Vincent was involved as well.

GUILTY !

GUILTY !

GUILTY !

It's done, any appeal doesn't change any of the verdicts, Cheaters, and unsportsmanlike is how the Patriots win, they have been doing it for years, the fans know it, the players know it, former Patriot players also believe that it's the case. You will be always remembered as team that cheats to win, Brady a Liar and a Cheat.

You can run and hide under your blanket, leave the light on and shut the closet door, but you can't hide from the Monster under the bed, Tom Brady!

Took me 2 days to get thru all this link. You all are good. But one thing that is not out here yet, or I have not read it yet, is the fact that the suspension of games is 4, and the fine is a million, So all they have to do is take a portion of that money not paid to Brady* and pay the fine.

A first rounder and a 4th in consecutive years probably will not matter in the main scheme of things. Look at our team.....undrafted free agents are better than what some of them teams have.

Go Hawks

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1x931dsr said:
Brady* was not hit with a 4 game suspension because of cheating, not primarily.

He, and the Patriots, were penalized for failing to cooperate, IMO. They tried to stonewall the investigation. You can bet your bottom dollar that is the explanation that will be given to the other 31 clubs.

So arguments from Pats fans trying to explain away cheating are moot. And there is no good explanation for a lack of cooperation.

This...The punishment wasnt JUST for cheating...It was for covering it up and acting like nothing happened at all and sticking to that statement.

Happy

Reaction score
As I watch this play out through the news cycle, social media, and .net, and I keep thinking the word Kayfabe.

I suspect Vince McMahon is nodding his head in approval.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
NWPatsFan":3358la60 said:
If you believe that the report is competent, then we have nothing to talk about. The report is so full of holes it is a joke. Have you read it? The whole thing is a frame job, it is full of faulty logic and vague language. Very strange that you think it is competent.

Holes in the report? How does the Ideal Gas Law explain the deflation and talk of needles? No evidence that the pressure was below regulation?

Silly Cheatriot fan, based on your comments it's clear you all are hiding needles or just in denial.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
As the report notes, McNally's "legitimate responsibilities as a locker room attendant did not involve the preparation, inflation or deflation of footballs." So why was he being given a "needle," in addition to sneakers and autographs from Brady?

When McNally was caught with the balls, referee Walt Anderson said it was the first time in his nineteen years as a referee that he could remember being unable to locate the game balls after inspection because someone had removed them from the Officials Locker Room without the permission of the referee or other game officials.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Uncle Si":36x5altw said:
I thought each team provided the footballs for their own possessions? Surely home-away splits wouldn't matter

This part:

But road teams do not bring their own ballboys to games. So, if a home-team ballboy was doctoring the footballs in any way before the game, that’s not something that could happen on the road.

Uncle Si":36x5altw said:
Also...this whole thing is stupid.

:lol:

Agreed.

ringless

Reaction score
There are some people that believe the world is flat to this day. Despite evidence that says otherwise....

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Laloosh":2ht699wx said:
RolandDeschain":2ht699wx said:
NWPatsFan":2ht699wx said:
I get it. I understand WHY you think I am not seeing this correctly, but what specific texts are you referring to? I am not sure what texts are so damning in your mind.
Explain to me why it would induce a lot of stress to inflate some footballs within the rules, and why "he" (Brady) would think it to be stressful.

Wells Report":2ht699wx said:
Jastremski: Talked to him last night. He actually brought you up and
said you must have a lot of stress trying to get them done...
I read that as prepping the balls in general. What stuck out to me were the "deflator" comment and joking about going to espn about what he was being asked to do.

Patriots homers can argue the gray area until they're blue in the face. Common sense won out here and they refuse to acknowledge it, period.

Was a good, competitive SB so I won't say that the cheating had any tangible impact on that game but Brady is forever a Lance Armstrong clone in my mind now. He lied when faced with the opportunity to come clean and in so doing, will be regarded as a really good quarterback who happens to be a shitty human being by many who respected him regardless of fandom.

In NE he's still a hero. Anywhere but NE, he's a punchline now. Enjoy.

But that couldn't be . . . according to the Patriots themselves, McNally's "legitimate responsibilities as a locker room attendant did not involve the preparation, inflation or deflation of footballs."

Here, however, they are also clearly discussing McNally's preparation and/or deflation of the balls. To what end, if such behavior went beyond the normal scope of his legitimate responsibilities with the team?

Another interesting piece to this is that McNally had previously been accused of tampering with the approved game balls back in 2004 when, during another game against the Jets, he smuggled non-approved balls into the game because “we were trying to keep a dry ball in the game at all times.” In response to this incident, McNally claimed it was an "accident" that non-approved practice balls were given to the ball boy.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
NWPatsFan":2ryirso1 said:
I get it. I understand WHY you think I am not seeing this correctly, but what specific texts are you referring to? I am not sure what texts are so damning in your mind.

How bout all of them.

An alien could have been dropped into the middle of this with zero knowledge of our culture, our sports or this entire situation and say "damn, Brady be cheatin."

Why do you even post here NWPatsFan? Can I ask that? You're such a homer with absolutely no ability to be impartial when it comes to the Patriots all we do is laugh at your posts. Brady lied, he obstructed..........so he's getting spanked. End of story.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I wish people would look past the Colts as the victim in this.
We have no clue how many victims there are.
IMHO this has been going on for years.
We all know that just one completed pass at the perfect time, can change the outcome of a game.
Not to mention a fumble or interception that didn't happen.
I don't have the time or energy to go back to research but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the possible implications are huge.

Stealing $10 from your employer is not in its self a big deal BUT doing it every day for many years, and the end result is a big deal.
Come on man.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":25444g5m said:
NWPatsFan":25444g5m said:

How bout all of them.

An alien could have been dropped into the middle of this with zero knowledge of our culture, our sports or this entire situation and say "damn, Brady be cheatin."

Why do you even post here NWPatsFan? Can I ask that? You're such a homer with absolutely no ability to be impartial when it comes to the Patriots all we do is laugh at your posts. Brady lied, he obstructed..........so he's getting spanked. End of story.

You have to be completely delusional to read these texts and think that Golden Boy is somehow innocent.

So in other words, every Pats fan in existence.

ringless

Reaction score
I don't think its fair to direct personal attacks at NWPatsfans. However, like I said before. IN general there is a point where there are so many incidents that it is no longer coincidence. If these were isolated events or maybe one of them has occurred sure, maybe Brady would have been innocent.

But we are talking about incident after incident that can only be explained with extreme circumstances to prove innocence. Pats balls deflating more than Colts balls. The explanation of course is that they were in different environments but Pats fans fail to recognize that when tested they were in the same room, so that negates that argument. The drops in pressure at that point should have been relative. With the extreme drop in pressure from the patriots balls does that mean at the end of the game the balls would have lost another 1-15psi and put the balls at 9psi at that pace?

The text messages also need an extreme explanation. Especially since he called himself the deflator before the season even started, and just so happens to be accused of deflating balls later on in the year...

The fact the Colts had complained earlier in the year, and it again ends up being a coincidence that the Pats balls were again under inflated....

Brady denying he knew the knew the guy.

The fact that Brady wouldn't release any electronic information... Obviously I left a lot out, but at what point do things stop being coincidences and end up being what they look like?

Another question I have is will Brady really sue the league? I doubt it... I feel if he were to sue the league at that point he would have to release his electronic information for discovery at that point. The texts would be deleted but his cell phone records could in fact show contact which would prove again that he was lying.... So at this point if he doesnt sue, and believes so strongly in his case I think it only shows more guilt (In the event the defense would have the ability to look at the numbers he called and text)

TAB420

Reaction score
It wouldn't matter if they brought their own football's as long as Brady's guys could get to them after the officials checked them. Right?

chris98251

Reaction score
I would think if Brady or Kraft attempt to sue the league then in a legal proceeding those records, testimony and everything else would be brought forth, also Bradys Electronic correspondence could be requested either off his phone or records from his carrier.

If they don't want to open that can of worms they should just shut up and take it like the Saints had to.