BRADY/PATS PUNISHMENT OVER TURNED BY JUDGE. (Updated 9/3/15)

ChiefHawk

Reaction score
Grotesquely inadequate.

4 games is what player get for PEDs. In that case, the player who broke the rules and took the substance improved his individual performance, and that individual contribution to the team.

Intentionally altering equipment which is touched by multiple players, which is what happened here, should be much more.

This violation of rule did not enhance one player, it enhanced all WRs, TEs, RBs and any other offense player who touched the ball - the fumble stats since 2007 show that.

Payton was banned a year as he held ultimate responsibility for the conduct of his team, and while there was more evidence to indicate possible direct involvement in that case, ignoring the HC cultural role is absurd.

We should have seen a year for Brady, and 8 games for Belli.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
The Patriots just got their SB rings today.
 915814641809268 1100076221594894027 n zpsffzlgvik
:laugh:

formido

Reaction score
538 now backtracking a little on their "take-down" of the Sharp Sports fumble connection. I say "take-down" because the analysis was terrible and in no way undermined the main points of the Sharp Sports discoveries.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/five ... te-report/

Happily, my favorite analyst--who writes for them--Benjamin Morris says here that at the time he found the whole issue suspicious on a Bayesian level, though he wasn't part of the articles they published before the Super Bowl. I wish he had been. I commented on their original article that they should in the future vet their posts with him if they were out of their depth. Too many Ivy league grads are fans of the Patriots and dominate online discussions in influential circles.

This wasn't some minor issue. They cheated because they thought they were getting an advantage. That's extremely compelling evidence they were getting an advantage all on its own. This was going on a long time, probably since the rule change in 2007. They won games with this, and maybe a championship.

Sharp Sports is still doing good work in their ongoing series:

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/

seedhawk

Reaction score
To me it seems pretty simple. Pats as a team get slapped basically for no internal control and a win at whatever it cost's mindset.

Brady gets the same as a first time PED suspension for refusing to cooperate and hand over data and devices. Actually a win for TB as Godell and Vincent could have said, hand over the devices or retire. You're choice dude cuz you are not playing another game until you do hand them over.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
RedAlice":241ezbik said:
He can say he didn't cheat - he cannot say he did not lie and that he cooperated fully with the NFL investigation.
For sure, he can say he "didn't cheat", but that would just be an extension of his lies.
He orchestrated the whole deflate the balls PER his personal preferences, AND in all likelihood that's not the only time that he's cheated the Patsy's opponents with using deflated balls, and saying that Billicheat knew nothing AT ALL about what was going on?.....Just plain pathetic.
4 game suspension for Tom "The pathetic Liar" Brady, a million cents from Robert Kraft, and A first Rnd draft pick in 16, and a lowly FOURTH in 17????

LolaRox

Reaction score
I actually don't have a problem with Brady's decision not to turn over his cell and I understand his concerns. I wouldn't trust the NFL to keep anything confidential. They've shown repeatedly in the past they are not to be trusted with information that is supposed to be confidential - wonderlic scores, players' failed drug test prior to appeal ...

BUT

I also support the NFL decision to suspend Brady for not turning it over. Brady made his decision not to turn it over and NFL made their decision to suspend him because of that decision.

You choose the action you also choose the consequence of that action.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
seaNOmercy":3l30bzrx said:
I think they should be forced forfeit their championship(s).

Bottom line is the integrity of the game has been tarnished and the NFL is saying that you can be rewarded for cheating, that the opportunity outweighs the cost. Trading a 4 game suspension, 2 draft picks, and a million bucks for a championship is CLEARLY too light.

At least that's how I see it...
I wholeheartedly agree, but, the fact that they actually handed down this mini-slap on the wrist, when I thought that Goodell was likely going to just sweep it under the rug for his buddy Robert Kraft, maybe we should be thankful eh?

RedAlice

Reaction score
scutterhawk":kxe9ga4c said:
RedAlice":kxe9ga4c said:
He can say he didn't cheat - he cannot say he did not lie and that he cooperated fully with the NFL investigation.
For sure, he can say he "didn't cheat", but that would just be an extension of his lies.
He orchestrated the whole deflate the balls PER his personal preferences, AND in all likelihood that's not the only time that he's cheated the Patsy's opponents with using deflated balls, and saying that Billicheat knew nothing AT ALL about what was going on?.....Just plain pathetic.
4 game suspension for Tom "The pathetic Liar" Brady, a million cents from Robert Kraft, and A first Rnd draft pick in 16, and a lowly FOURTH in 17????

Well, looks like I typed too soon.

He IS going to say he didn't lie and that he fully cooperated with the NFL investigation.

253hawk

Reaction score
LolaRox":21hr971s said:
I actually don't have a problem with Brady's decision not to turn over his cell and I understand his concerns. I wouldn't trust the NFL to keep anything confidential. They've shown repeatedly in the past they are not to be trusted with information that is supposed to be confidential - wonderlic scores, players' failed drug test prior to appeal ...

BUT

I also support the NFL decision to suspend Brady for not turning it over. Brady made his decision not to turn it over and NFL made their decision to suspend him because of that decision.

You choose the action you also choose the consequence of that action.

Wells said Brady could have his own lawyers go over his phone and then only disclose information pertinent to the investigation. And he still refused.

sutz

Reaction score
Meh...I'll take it. But from above, if the League was really cracking down, they wouldn't have waited a week to judge public opinion before announcing punishment.

I re-dub the Cheatriots to be the New England Poutriots. ;)

RedAlice

Reaction score
sutz":1g92j9qr said:
Meh...I'll take it. But from above, if the League was really cracking down, they wouldn't have waited a week to judge public opinion before announcing punishment.

I re-dub the Cheatriots to be the New England Poutriots. ;)

I believe they waited for a week with no other news that was after the SB and after the draft. Whatever you believe here, it keeps the NFL in the news and that is $$.

The timing is on purpose.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I thought having the pats "vacate" the super bowl 49 championship (and no, NOT given to Seattle) have that Lombardi melted down, Brady and Billicheat suspended for a year with caveat if they are caught cheating again would be banned for life, plus the loss of draft picks would be suffice. I didn't expect that, but the pats, Brady, and Billicheat got a light smack on the po po.

I don't think this punishment will deter cheating by the Pats, or other teams.

Laloosh

Reaction score
I think it gets reduced but league can claim they did something.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1xf2se56 said:
I thought having the pats "vacate" the super bowl 49 championship (and no, NOT given to Seattle) have that Lombardi melted down, Brady and Billicheat suspended for a year with caveat if they are caught cheating again would be banned for life, plus the loss of draft picks would be suffice. I didn't expect that, but the pats, Brady, and Billicheat got a light smack on the po po.

I don't think this punishment will deter cheating by the Pats, or other teams.

It's a step in the right direction, but the NFL "slap on the wrist" did not deter them last time. So, doubt it does this time.

The only person who may have pause is Brady IF he loses his appeal and is stuck with the concept of liar and cheater (outside of Boston).

If he wins his appeal, the NFL may as well put up a banner on that opening Thursday Night v Steelers that says: We REWARD cheats with LOMBARDIs. HAVE AT IT!

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
I live in NE about 45 minutes from Boston and I can say, without reservation, that these people are batshit crazy. Sports are not just a religion here they are a Jonestown cult. The level of denial and delusion is awe inspiring. Meanwhile, they know NOTHING about sports. Most couldn't tell you the names of half the franchises in the NFL because they don't really matter anyway. All that exists are the local 'Titile Town' teams, their God Bill Belichick and his anointed Son, Tom Brady. It's disturbing. People talk about Tawmmy like he's a member of their actual family. They discuss he and Giselle like they share their bed. So the incredulity exhibited by these freaks doesn't surprises me in the least. The NFL could have the entire episode on holographic video and they still wouldn't accept it.

I'll tell you seriously, Roger Goodell better hire some Mossad level security because one of these NE townies is going to try to take him out. They are shitting frisbees up here.

mikeak

Reaction score
Thought I posted but couldn't find it - who thinks Brady is now hit with a civil lawsuit for loss of income by the two gentlement now suspended?

They will do some story about how he made them, they were worried they would get fired if they didn't do what star qb told them too and ooops here are even worse text messages

Separately - Brady may have been more worried about Gisele would see in the text messages than the NFL - I would never trust them to keep something. I would have allowed for them to view them in that setting but not leave the room

athanas

Reaction score
This changes nothing for them. They are on to their next hustle.
Video tape opponents? Oh yeah, totally, just that one time. Has nothing to do with the first three championships we just won. Slap on the wrist.
Under-inflating balls in an attempt to get an edge over their opponents? Oh, we didn't do it. Not even that one time or during any of the the other 3 trips to the Super Bowl we had. Slap on the wrist.
Why would they change? There's a clear habit of circumventing the rules and claiming ignorance while going 4-for-6 in the big dance.
They're back to work today. Business as usual.

kidhawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNNFL/status/597926619542597632[/tweet]

It's not just a river in Egypt

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
mikeak":1vswvjs7 said:
Separately - Brady may have been more worried about Gisele would see in the text messages than the NFL - I would never trust them to keep something. I would have allowed for them to view them in that setting but not leave the room

Hah - that's exactly what I thought. Some Brett Favre-esque dick pics that he was sending to randoms.

Count me on the "4 games is too lenient" side. Should have been at least 8 games for the cheating, the lying and the lack of cooperation.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kidhawk":2w8rh1yb said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNNFL/status/597926619542597632[/tweet]

It's not just a river in Egypt

Well I guess this answers the question of whether Brady and the Patriots are going to apologize and save whatever shred of dignity and respect there's left to save.