Boldin in the slot

hawk45

Reaction score
I suppose I was assuming that we'd throw Richard Sherman on Boldin to make him disappear for 4 quarters, but reading up on Boldin they move him all over the field and he gets a ton of plays out of the slot, and we haven't been a team to have a particular corner follow a guy around. I feel very comfortable with Sherman on Boldin, pretty dang comfortable with Browner on Boldin, and not very comfortable at all with WTIII on Boldin because of our 3 corners WTIII is our least physical and Boldin's game isn't quickness and separation (which WTIII would match up well with), it's go up and wrestle the ball away in the middle of traffic.

I hope just this once we break tendency and put Sherman on the guy. We'll look awfully foolish (and I'll have a stroke) if Boldin goes for a buck fifty on us when we went into the game knowing exactly who they want to throw to.

I also quiver a bit thinking about a safety or LB on VD. I wish there was a way to throw Sherman on Boldin and Browner on VD without killing our run support. VD all by himself is enough for an entire game if no one else is open for Krapper to throw to.

Our secondary is lights out against guys on the outside but last year they were most definitely not lights out in the middle of the field. I guess we just hope Kap drops a deuce on the field this game like the 2nd game last year?

Basis4day

Reaction score
Worry about TD's, not yards. We're going to follow our system.

13thMan

Reaction score
I actually like that idea a lot..... Browner on VD, Sherm on Boldin and that would leave Thurmond on Kyle Williams who is a quick shifty receiver, not a physical one. Again though, this hurts the run support, but severely limits the production of their best receiving weapons. The one thing we have to be careful about though is getting turned around (backs to the QB) because that's when Kaepernick gashed GB last year, every time they were manned up in the secondary.

The Xs and Os part of this matchup will be very interesting to watch unfold, to be sure....

Laloosh

Reaction score
Basis4day":15yio9wv said:
Worry about TD's, not yards. We're going to follow our system.

It's not just TD's or yards. You have to stop the Niners from getting first downs and I think the point that the OP was making, is that AB is really good at getting those conversion catches.

I think our guys just have to step up, play their role and don't give up those tough catches on 3rd down. If we can pressure Kaep, it will be harder for him to make those throws and as a result, harder for Boldin to be a factor.

Edit: Actually a lot more concerned about Davis than Boldin. Guy is hard for LBs and safeties to cover.

themunn

Reaction score
Don't worry, Bolding might catch a few, but after the Kamtrak express arrives on time he won't be catching so many after that

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I don't think WTIII v. Boldin battle will be quite as lopsided as you suggest. If WTIII positions himself well, (and he should since he's faster), then it shouldn't matter about being in traffic because he should be able to get in front of Boldin. You can also get either ET or Kam to spy him; if he makes a catch, you bring him down with a hit that'll make him think twice about crossing the middle.

I actually think we're going to get at least one, maybe two, offensive PI calls from Boldin this game, by the way.

olyryder

Reaction score
Big key could be Browner. I'd put him on Boldin all night & let attach himself to Boldin, pound & frustrate him and take him out of the equation. Then I would assume Kam will be near VD, leaving WTIII & Sherman to mop up anyone else on the field. If Browner isn't 100%....then I'm worried.

13thMan

Reaction score
Yeah, I noticed Boldin didn't do well against us in the game against Baltimore.... I don't know if that's more a function of Flacco or what, but that was encouraging to see.

Please, please, please do not put an LB on Vernon Davis!!! Any suggestions?? I still think make him Browner's only assignment and that's our best option to limiting his effectiveness....

EDIT: What is the latest word on Browner? Good to go? 100%?

OP
OP
hawk45

hawk45

Reaction score
@Basis4day: I don't even know what you just said. Boldin only had 1 TD against GB but his 2 bills killed them.

@Sarlacc83: Boldin didn't separate much vs Green Bay and we saw what he was still able to do because of how physical he is.

@Johnny: Last year vs the Ravens with a different QB and system doesn't mean a whole lot to me. We're playing the Niners next week. Flacco was consistently late on his throws in that game as I recall, just looked bad. If that's what we're hoping for this time then that's back to my point of we're hoping Kap himself struggles.

Not that there aren't elements of the responses that will accumulate during the game, but my original point was, when we say "our secondary, best in league, will neutralize him" we're not talking about so and so spying on him or our nickel corner shutting him down, we're thinking of Richard Sherman and Browner shutting folks down on the outside. We were KILLED last year in the slot, and while WTIII is a big upgrade over Trufant, he is not as good at nickel as he is on the outside.

And we have no answer for Davis anymore than we did last year. That has the potential to eat us up.

I am certain Kap will struggle more than he did in Green Bay because he's away, there's noise, and in general our secondary talent is better. But the specific matchups aren't slam dunks for us at all. In the case of VD the matchup favors the Niners heavily.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Boldin was wide open half the time. That's what happens when you stack the box, bracket the field, and focus on not getting killed by a running QB.

My thing is that we HAVE to generate pass rush next week. I am so sick of this team not creating consistent pressure. I don't care if we have to scheme to get there, let's just do it. At least Dan Quinn was doing a bit of scheming and actually sent corners a couple times too last week instead of just trying to get pressure with the front four over and over.

Generate pass rush while keeping contain, and our secondary will do the rest.

13thMan

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1o46fiwu said:
Boldin was wide open half the time. That's what happens when you stack the box, bracket the field, and focus on not getting killed by a running QB.

My thing is that we HAVE to generate pass rush next week. I am so sick of this team not creating consistent pressure. I don't care if we have to scheme to get there, let's just do it. At least Dan Quinn was doing a bit of scheming and actually sent corners a couple times too last week instead of just trying to get pressure with the front four over and over.

Not sure I agree with this... That is to say, I don't want to blitz all game long because Kaepernick is a known blitz killer... I would rather play coverage with our personnel (stout secondary) and hope we can generate at least adequate pressure with the front four..... I'm afraid that if we sell out to generate pressure then we could get exposed on screens, dump offs to the flat, etc., etc.....

We need an answer for VD though.... Kam?

CANHawk

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":ap3iquvl said:

Exactly. Don't let Green Bay's stupid game plan and shitty defense trick you into thinking Boldin is actually a good WR. He's slightly above average at best. The LoB+T3 is going to feed him his own ass.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
13thMan":9urnzxqv said:
Not sure I agree with this... That is to say, I don't want to blitz all game long because Kaepernick is a known blitz killer... I would rather play coverage with our personnel (stout secondary) and hope we can generate at least adequate pressure with the front four..... I'm afraid that if we sell out to generate pressure then we could get exposed on screens, dump offs to the flat, etc., etc.....

We need an answer for VD though.... Kam?

I appreciate your perspective, but I just don't see a Clemons-less team running Avril out there at pre-season rust levels generating much pressure against the 49er OL without sending five or six sometimes. I am not saying we need to blitz all game long, but we cannot let Kaepernick hold the ball consistently for five seconds a play and pick us apart downfield.

Bennett and McDaniel matched up against the excellent SF interior OL is the big one. If they win that battle and induce some interior pressure, maybe we can do what you hope and at least hurry Kaepernick consistently, maybe hit him a few times too and get a sack or two without having to do as much scheming as it would otherwise take. I think that's the matchup that will determine if SF scores only ten or if they score twenty-eight or thirty points.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
Johnny":1sgspswr said:
The last time Boldin played against the Hawks back in 2011', He only had 2 catches for 22 yards on 9 targets.. I know that was with Flacco at QB but still he didn't have to much of an impact as far as catches & yards go.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=311113026

Wow...so I guess you guys shouldn't worry about Boldin.

I sure hope that PC doesn't use 2 year old tape on Boldin in order to plan against him. :sarcasm_off:

OP
OP
hawk45

hawk45

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":5o1wr9vv said:
From another perspective, if there ever was a game where we have the matchups available to induce multiple coverage sacks like we did last year at home against Green Bay, this is also it.

How so? If you're talking about the times Boldin lines up outside then okay, yeah, Sherman/BB disappear him and their other scrubs won't do much.

But when Boldin is in the slot, inducing coverage sacks assumes WTIII can defend him. Maybe he can, maybe he can't.

I don't see how the matchups are in our favor against Boldin or VD. Where do the coverage sacks come from again?

MOCHawk

Reaction score
I doubt that we will play Man/Press even 25% of the time in this game. Maybe some on 3rd down when we are sending 6 (which I hope is often.) Playing man to man and rushing 4 against Kaep is suicide.

Johnny

Reaction score
NinerLifer":3s0bst0s said:
Johnny":3s0bst0s said:
The last time Boldin played against the Hawks back in 2011', He only had 2 catches for 22 yards on 9 targets.. I know that was with Flacco at QB but still he didn't have to much of an impact as far as catches & yards go.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=311113026

Wow...so I guess you guys shouldn't worry about Boldin.

I sure hope that PC doesn't use 2 year old tape on Boldin in order to plan against him. :sarcasm_off:

I never said I wasn't worried about Boldin, I was just posting his stats the last time he played the Hawks. I know he can kill a defense, but the only thing we can go on here when talking about Boldin vs. this Defense is that tape from 2011'..

I know he is playing for the 49ers now and this is totally a different Scheme/QB that he was playing in the last time he played us, but the numbers do show he didn't have a good game vs. the Hawks.

Latest posts