• Inability to adapt in game time

Votes: 33 39.3%
  • Game plan

Votes: 5 6.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Seahawk

Reaction score
Special Teams wasn't a choice, but that's what I'm most worried about.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I'm gonna say getting off the field on third down (for the defense, not the offense, I'm sure the offense will do just fine at it :) ). That's gonna be a combo of edge and CB play (and throw in safety play).

quadsas

Reaction score
For me it's cornerback play. The reason why coaching isn't, is cause vast majority of coaches in NFL are honestly quite dumb looking from outside in, so I don't think there's a big gap that needs to be addressed.

But Shaq Griffin being garbage last year sure does. With Coleman gone hopefully Tre Flowers can actually improve going into season 2 unlike Shaq and carry the load.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
How in-the-hell do I know? Or anyone for that matter....we haven't even seen a single day at Camp. A valid time to ask this question is after the second or third Pre-season game.
How well I remember in 2012 when we drafted a young, short QB by the name of Russell Wilson. Most here were saying in May that we were "toast"!! That isn't what they were saying after the 3rd Pre-season game.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

Bigpumpkin":1gtlvf2c said:
How in-the-hell do I know? Or anyone for that matter....we haven't even seen a single day at Camp. A valid time to ask this question is after the second or third Pre-season game.
How well I remember in 2012 when we drafted a young, short QB by the name of Russell Wilson. Most here were saying in May that we were "toast"!! That isn't what they were saying after the 3rd Pre-season game.

Well, thanks for playing, and let me congratulate you on your remarkable ability for stating the obvious. This has been a really good thread, for me at least, with many really good responses.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
DomeHawk":2qcgvwvj said:
Bigpumpkin":2qcgvwvj said:

Well, thanks for playing, and let me congratulate you on your remarkable ability for stating the obvious. This has been a really good thread, for me at least, with many really good responses.

Sorry.....I didn't realize that this was a game playing thread. I'll bow out.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

sdog1981":3i83rs37 said:
4 of these are the same problem.

Granted there are some correlations for sure, but the questions are based on kind of an intuitive feeling you might have about specific issues.

You could say that "inability to sustain drives" and "offensive play calling" are the same thing but they are not, one has to deal directly with coaching and the other might include that but also have much to do with execution. And yes, somewhat broad but like I said, it's about how you "feel," not necessarily anything scientific per se.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

BirdsCommaAngry":27a61v83 said:
Run/run/pass.

I get what you are saying and that is why I included "Inability to sustain drives." It seemed like there was just too many instances of having to make a first down on third down. You don't convert and the drive is over. How about trying to convert a first down on first or second down once in a while?

mrt144

Reaction score
DomeHawk":sp4uj0y9 said:
BirdsCommaAngry":sp4uj0y9 said:
Run/run/pass.

I get what you are saying and that is why I included "Inability to sustain drives." It seemed like there was just too many instances of having to make a first down on third down. You don't convert and the drive is over. How about trying to convert a first down on first or second down once in a while?

FWIW, the only time under PC the Hawks thrived above average on 3rd down conversion rates was 2014 and 2015. It's something that I indeed ding Bevell for and something that seems static from Bevell now with Schotty.

chris98251

Reaction score
Seahawk":3948kv78 said:

Special teams is as good as your depth, we had starters playing there for Petes first few years, then they started getting miles on them and we drifted away from it unless it was special situations, we may head back that way now and hope that our overall depth is better as well. Notice a lot of Safety types and LB's drafted also, those are special team guys.

Largent80

Reaction score
Seahawk":1ge18m34 said:

I think the Hawks have dramatically improved in this category. We have a competent kicker now, and a host of ST draftees that excelled in college.

I'm looking for massive improvement.

rcaido

Reaction score
Biggest for me are injuries & officiating. Other than that i would say Griffin really annoyed the hell out of me. Not sure what's the deal with him, his rookie year he had a lot of promise. Maybe switching was a wrong idea. I hope he bounces back.

Reaction score
An area of concern I think people are over looking is WR. Yes we have depth but it normally takes WR,s a couple years to get adjusted to the nfl. We have a lot of youth at the position and it could take a couple years before they reach their full potential in our offense!, we have No e, Brown and Moore the later is still trying to get his feet underneath him. You may not agree but it their development is an area of concern moving forward among others!

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I voted inability to sustain drives.

First, defensively. We have an adequate defense in all facets. Not dominant like before. Even more than the last couple of years, we need to rest our defense, so they can stay fresh and finish games. If we continue the pattern of running them ragged for 2.5 to 3 quarters before unleashing the offense, then we are in for a disastrous season.

Offensively, well I guess that all of the offensive options listed effect our ability to sustain drives. From game planning, to adjustment, to execution. This is Russ's team now, and he needs to take/ be given ownership of the offense even more than before. He needs to be unleashed to read and react more and better. My biggest criticism of Russ has been how little he seems to react to what the defense does at the snap. This may be because he isn't given the options to react (offensive coordinator problem) or an inability to react. I believe it's the former, but there isn't any way to know for sure.

What hurt us the most with Russ/CaBevell was lack of adjustment after the snap. Russ did a great job of changing the play when the defense showed its hand, prior to the snap, but when the defense brought disguised pressure, or checked out of a blitz, we had nothing. I think it was due to play design, not Russ's inability to read and react.

So, having hot reads for disguised blitzes, and a route that can develop into something longer when the defense shows blitz, but checks out of it, would be a huge boon to this team.

Sustained drives will lead to more offensive success, and will allow the defense to rest and be fresh. We need both if we are to make a deep push into the playoffs this year.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
For me, it’s Edge and Slot WR.

I like the Ansah signing, but his shoulder injury concerns me. And, he simply replaces Clark’s productivity if he plays all 16 games and is 100% healthy. Marsh is a solid player, but I was hoping JS would do more to solidify the Edge.

Who’s going to play slot? Best case scenario is for Jennings, Ursua, Reynolds, etc.. to emerge, but what if they don’t?

We all know JS will not sit still if these players don’t step up during OTAs, so I expect us to trade a draft pick for a player or sign a street free agent. But, until then, these two areas are question marks, IMO.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

So, I guess it's time to wrap this up. Really good thread with lots of good posts.

1. "Inability to adapt game time," wins by a large margin and I think that is just partially due to the playoff game fiasco. Could we have won that game? No, we SHOULD have won that game.

2. "Edge rush," was second and that is probably a response to losing Clark.

3. "Inability to sustain drives," was third and that was my second after adapt. I think this is a huge issue and why I was so hoping we could draft a proven possession receiver like N'Keal Harry, something that wasn't lost on Belichick who made him the first WR taken in the first round of the Belichick era. You just have to convert first downs in this league.

4. "Cornerback play," was fourth and that probably reflects Shaquill Griffin having a poor second season and the general lack of experience at the position. Hopefully, these players will step up this season.

5. "Offensive play calling," I think this is a response to the feeling that we were a little too Bevell-esque last season. Are we predictable? Just ask the Dallas coaching staff who literally played us in the playoff game with them.

6. - 7. "Safety play" and "game plan" didn't garner much interest, at least as highest priorities, but there are clearly some concerns there, especially at safety where we just lost the league's best FS.

All in all, I was somewhat surprised that the consensus here pretty much followed my own thoughts/feelings. I guess it's pretty obvious though.

Thoughts?