Bigger Season: Clark or Mingo?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I was also excited by the signing of both players and astonished at the reasonable contracts both signed. Your recollection is correct as far as a league wise perception of both guys though. Both were not well regarded for different reasons and both were solid signings, actually over the top excellent signings. My earlier comment about Avril had absolutely nothing to say about his performance here, he was special and will be missed. So will Bennett.

Mingo is regarded as too light and not physical enough to regularly play 4-3 DE, and probably is best physically suited to play SOLB in Pete’s scheme.I think he could be a genuine happy surprise in our scheme b/c of his incredible athleticism.

OP
OP
nwHawk

nwHawk

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":1xwphbxt said:
nwHawk":1xwphbxt said:
This may seem strange, but what the heck. I really like Frank Clark and think he will be hungry this season, but for the Seahawks to reach the playoffs this year who needs to have a bigger season?:

1 - Frank Clark
2 - Barking Mingo

Before you brush this off as crazy, I ask you to really think about it. I think we would all agree Clark should have a better year, especially given his time in the system and athletic freakiness.

Barking Mingo? Autocorrect doing its thing? Hilarious. Or maybe that’s how he plays. Anyone remember that old LT clip with him saying they need to play like a bunch of crazed dogs? Maybe we have that in Barking Mingo!! :lol: :lol:

Hoping he's got a dog in him, we need it. Some guys need time to get bigger, stronger and game smarter. Some need a proper scheme fit.

I wish Frank Clark would have stayed a DT in the mold of Geno Atkins. Oh course he would have needed to bulk up. He doesn't have the passing rushing technique to be a blind side pass rusher, which in we need. Put Clark as Avril's replacement and I think he's fine. Expecting 13 sacks, I'm not sold, yet. But I want to believe.

Still, if Mingo is solid In think this defense will be better than last year. Norton knows how to push backers.

Fade

Reaction score
Who will have a better year, The FB, or the RB?

Mingo is the FB of the Defense. He isn't going to get the passrushing reps to come anywhere close to Clark.

Within Mingo's niche role he will play very well though.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
jammerhawk":19s88i66 said:
C’mon man, the FO is not doing too bad. Mingo was an early draft pick for some reasons which we will see this coming season, he can be very quick off the snap and is reportedly strong in coverage. He has been injured a lot a missed critical time that has delayed his development, he could just be a diamond rescued from the rough.

He was signed for two seasons, so he’s not a camp body unless he sucks as badly as you seem to think he will.

Seattle will be his 4th team since 2013. He was signed because he was cheap and available. People dissing on the guy have legit reasons for doing so. Expecting anything more than just an average player here is wishful thinking. The Pats and Colts cast him away and we are paying more for him than they did. Hard to get excited about him.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Average is better than just a camp body and worthless.

Fade

Reaction score
Mingo was a 1st rounder and expected to be a dominant edge rusher, he isn't, and that is why he is considered a bust.

The Seahawks are not asking him to do that, he will play Sam. If you're telling me he is the starting Leo then yeah I would say he is going to be terrible, but that is not what they are asking him to do.

chris98251

Reaction score
Again for those that only read what other idiots write, Pete takes a guy and plays him where his strength is not make him fit into a system that does not capitalize on what he can do best.

Think of Clemons.

Until we see how he is used we won't know how successful he will be here, Irvin was considered a big bust by the experts when we picked him but ended up being pretty impactive with how we used him.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Chris, I completely agree.

Mingo is not just a roster filler type or camp body player and is an extremely physically talented player who in college was a dominant edge rusher. As a pro however, he needs more sand in his shorts (he’s too skinny) to be an every down edge rusher. He has been used as such and that hasn’t worked with exceptional results consistent with his draft position. He is pretty capable in coverage due to his playing speed and athleticism, and a guy who still needs to be accounted for off the edge. Just not on every down, Pete sees him as a Bruce Irvin type SOLB. We’ll see if he can be a good fit for Pete’s D. I think he might be surprisingly better than some believe in that role.

If he can become close to Clemons the team will have something with this player.

NJlargent

Reaction score
chris98251":1dhxg4tq said:
Again for those that only read what other idiots write, Pete takes a guy and plays him where his strength is not make him fit into a system that does not capitalize on what he can do best.

Think of Clemons.

Until we see how he is used we won't know how successful he will be here, Irvin was considered a big bust by the experts when we picked him but ended up being pretty impactive with how we used him.

Seems to me this is more of a Joeckel pick. There’s an erroneous assumption that because he was once picked in the first round he must be decent. Maybe he serves a purpose because of his niche but he not a game changer by any stretch.

Latest posts