Benson Mayowa - Liked this kid when I saw him

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
http://www.seahawks.com/news/articl...n-Mayowa/7c703203-c886-4ea4-ba06-999215268b71

The 6-foot-3, 252-pound Mayowa has been making a name for himself during the first week of training camp practices. He is getting reps at the Leo end spot in the No. 1 defense because sack leader Chris Clemons is completing his rehab from knee surgery, free-agent addition Cliff Avril is out with a sore hamstring and Bruce Irvin, last year’s first-round draft choice, also is working at strong-side linebacker.

And Mayowa isn’t just playing the hybrid position, he’s making plays.

“He’s done a really cool job in this camp,” Carroll said. “He’s shown an unusual knack rushing the passer. So far, he’s been very impressive.

130731mayowa250.jpg

rjdriver

Reaction score
I thought he stood out on Tuesday if I recall correctly. I remember trying to figure out who 95 was.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
You have to believe there will be a minimum of two surprise breakthrough contributors on this team. Even as stacked as our roster is, it strikes me as a Hallmark of the Schneider/Carroll era. If one of those can be a solid pass rusher, all the better!

OP
OP
Jazzhawk

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
rjdriver":3j2iwlhu said:
I thought he stood out on Tuesday if I recall correctly. I remember trying to figure out who 95 was.
Exactly the same thing I thought.

kearly

Reaction score
I definitely think we will see breakthrough players, but the one area I take the least seriously during the preseason is trying to evaluate pass rushers. Nick Reed had a legitimately great preseason. This time last year, Corderro Law was the big story in training camp. The best pass rushers in the preseason games last year were Law, Toomer, and Guy. Only one of the three (barely) made the 53 man.

The lower level of competition hurts the ability to evaluate every position, but no position more than pass rush, IMO. There aren't an abundance of good starting O-linemen even in the real games, and in the preseason, there are a lot of scrubs out there making pass rushers look incredible. Also, the defense tends to have the upper hand early on, the O-line shuffles a new combination every 5 minutes in a preseason game, etc.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
kearly":q5rlyw88 said:
I definitely think we will see breakthrough players, but the one area I take the least seriously during the preseason is trying to evaluate pass rushers. Nick Reed had a legitimately great preseason. This time last year, Corderro Law was the big story in training camp. The best pass rushers in the preseason games last year were Law, Toomer, and Guy. Only one of the three (barely) made the 53 man.

The lower level of competition hurts the ability to evaluate every position, but no position more than pass rush, IMO. There aren't an abundance of good starting O-linemen even in the real games, and in the preseason, there are a lot of scrubs out there making pass rushers look incredible. Also, the defense tends to have the upper hand early on, the O-line shuffles a new combination every 5 minutes in a preseason game, etc.

Oh sure, rain on the parade with facts! :stirthepot:

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
It's all well and good that he's looked nice mostly in shorts and a shell, going up against fellow rookies. But unless he can prove it in full pads, when the bullets are flying, against the Joe Staley's of the world, then this is nothing more than a practice squadder this year who's a long shot to ever make it in the NFL.

OP
OP
Jazzhawk

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2eak6v1x said:
kearly":2eak6v1x said:

Oh sure, rain on the parade with facts! :stirthepot:
I'm not saying Mayowa is the next Chris Clemons....I just liked the moves I saw. No one else was making them, tho, admittedly, Clemons and Avril weren't practicing.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
“He’s done a really cool job in this camp,” Carroll said.

"...a really cool job..." Coach can be a nerd sometime. He's awesome.

I like that he's making the most out of the situation and making a statement. This is a dude that knows there is little room for error and little space on the team. Would be sick if he dominates enough to be the starting LEO, talk about depth and insurance when Clem and Cliff return.

Will be keeping a closer eye on this kid.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2xef3tx9 said:
You have to believe there will be a minimum of two surprise breakthrough contributors on this team. Even as stacked as our roster is, it strikes me as a Hallmark of the Schneider/Carroll era. If one of those can be a solid pass rusher, all the better!

gods, I hope you are right

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
kearly":1uqp0ay3 said:

The article mentioned that he was lining up against Okung and Breno as well some of the rookie linemen. So, if he's having any success against Okung, then he just might be the real deal. Odds are that you're right, but wouldn't it be nice to pick up a LEO this way?