Bennett or Avril

THUGCAPS

Reaction score
I can't chose who I like more. I was kinda down on Avril earlier in the season, but maybe just because Bennett was tearing it up. Now they are both making huge plays and doing wonders for the pass rush, something that we desperately needed to improve on from last season. I love Michael Bennett's attitude and love for the game. He's a machine and constantly works against his blocker to get to the QB any way he can. He'll crawl 5 yards to get the sack if he has to. He also has the edge on Avril in run defense. On the other hand, Avril is doing exactly what he was brought in to do. The guy just knows how to get the ball out of the QB's hand (4 FF this season). His pursuit around the edge is ridiculously quick. The QB knows he's coming, but they just don't expect him to get there that fast. I've seen a couple times this season where the QB has stepped up in the pocket to avoid Avril's first pressure, only to be caught from behind and stripped of the ball seconds later. In a game where turnovers can be the key to winning, he's very valuable. He fits perfectly on this ball hawking defense and makes us that much scarier. It's amazing to see, time after time, this defense come up with huge turnovers in big situations. I would love to see these two as partners in crime for years to come. That Avril strip sack right into Bennett's hands is something I could get use to. I would love to hear your guys thoughts on their play this season.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Best signings of the offseason.

Carroll wanted to fix the pass rush, and those two guys did it.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Both need to be on the team because they're complementary. (They might be complimentary, because who wouldn't want a bromance with Bennett.) I said it in another thread, but the emergence of Avril might spell the end for Clemons.

TheWalrus

Reaction score
I'm glad Avril & Bennett are doing so well because I feel like Clemons has had a very quiet month. He came untouched on one play last night and still couldn't make a play. I'm hoping he gets it going in the next few weeks.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
I was thinking last night night that Bennett and Avril were clearing some cap room from the DE spot by making Clemmons a luxury.

Frohawk25360

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":1dwq74t5 said:
I don't have to like one guy better! I love them both equally.
It's like having more than one child somehow ur heart finds enough for both....the way they came together on that fumble and return(pick6) was beautiful

OP
OP
THUGCAPS

THUGCAPS

Reaction score
TheWalrus":9b1nliez said:
I'm glad Avril & Bennett are doing so well because I feel like Clemons has had a very quiet month. He came untouched on one play last night and still couldn't make a play. I'm hoping he gets it going in the next few weeks.

Ahh yes that play irked me a little. It seemed as all Clemons had to do was break down and dive for the tackle but he just stayed upright and watched Brees step up. His knee must be affecting him

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Frohawk25360":2v8uoeg3 said:
KARAVARUS":2v8uoeg3 said:
It's like having more than one child somehow ur heart finds enough for both....the way they came together on that fumble and return(pick6) was beautiful

Yep--now we up their allowances... :p

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Frohawk25360":2zfszlve said:
KARAVARUS":2zfszlve said:

Yep--now we up their allowances... :p

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's not out of the realm of possibility that BOTH come back next year. I highly doubt Clem will be back, his salary is too high for his low production this year. So unless he accepts a much lower paycheck, he won't be back. Which would leave the cap room to resign both Avril and Bennett.

Now obviously priority #1 and #2 on defense is to give new contracts to Sherm and Thomas. But priority #3 is to lock up either/both Avril and Bennett.

12thManNorth

Reaction score
Clem looks to be gone for sure, unless due to his age we can get him at a discount. Bennett has been huge all year, would be AMAZING if we were able to somehow keep him

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3hukivfr said:
It's not out of the realm of possibility that BOTH come back next year. I highly doubt Clem will be back, his salary is too high for his low production this year. So unless he accepts a much lower paycheck, he won't be back. Which would leave the cap room to resign both Avril and Bennett.

Now obviously priority #1 and #2 on defense is to give new contracts to Sherm and Thomas. But priority #3 is to lock up either/both Avril and Bennett.

Avril is already under contract for next year.

Hawks46

Reaction score
THUGCAPS":2wncobu7 said:
TheWalrus":2wncobu7 said:

Ahh yes that play irked me a little. It seemed as all Clemons had to do was break down and dive for the tackle but he just stayed upright and watched Brees step up. His knee must be affecting him

You can't dive at a QB. That's a flag.

I hope we can resign Bennett next year. Restructure CLem and Bryant and we can get it done. I love big Red, but he's overpaid as well, really.

Avril is so much more explosive than Clemmons is now. He has 7.5 sacks and he's missed 2 games.

Bennett is a serious mismatch on the interior OL on passing downs and he's only 274 lbs. Sick.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I like both and think we try to keep Bennett past this year. Unfortunately, Bennett is crushing it, so he may be oit of our reach. I also think this may be it for Clemons as well.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
They both are really doing well lately. If it came down to it, I would absolutely hope the team retains Avril and Bennett over Clemons and Bryant

A

Anonymous

I can't decide. They are both so good for us. The same results, different styles.

The really cool part for them (and probably the main motivator for each) is that they are now part of the best team in the league. The teams they came from weren't going to be near as good. What a compliment for a player to receive; a phone call asking them to be part of a championship team, and as it will turn out, they were a big part of all of it coming to fruition.

Pretty cool.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Bennett is the more important piece, IMO. With Avril already on the books for next year it will be hard to keep him, but given that the cap clearing is really for two years from now, it's entirely possible they're able to resign Bennett provided they prefer him to Avril and are ready to let Avril walk after next year. That sounds pretty feasible, actually. (all of this predicated on Clemons being off the books, of course).

Edit: think about it more, the one wrinkle in this is if the Hawks go to (and particularly, win) the Super Bowl (which I think we're all expecting them to do). When you win a Super Bowl everyone is suddenly excited to overspend on your teams' solid players. It happened last year to the 9ers, with teams popping up out of the woodwork to overspend on guys like Goldson, Sopoaga, Francois, and Walker. Goldson's the only one of those guys who is as good as Bennett, but IIRC he's the highest paid FS, and he ain't worth that.

Entirely possible that the team hopes to keep players like Tate and Bennett (both very good players, no doubt), but won't be able to after winning the Super Bowl because other squads will suddenly be ready to pay those guys like stars.