Bengals vs Bills

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That was really hard to see. Make a hit, stand up and then just collapse. Unlike anything we have seen. The reaction from the players, the media, the coaches, all of it. Hopefully some actual good news comes out this morning. Cardiac Arrest at 24 is shocking. Like River said, could be a heart defect that was undetected.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I could be way off base but I'm more confident for some reason this morning that he will make it out of this. The initial report at least is better news than expected with his vitals returning to normal.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I’m putting this here as it was broadcast via espn, cnn and msnbc to tens of millions of people, and a verbal description alone doesn’t cut it.

This looks Like a Very routine tackle. You can see him get up with Teammates walking away like everything’s normal.

In this case it wasn’t the severity of the contact but the timing the theory is Hamlin was hit in the heart in between heart beats if it would have happened st any other time during the heart beat there would have been no problem

RiverDog

Reaction score
In this case it wasn’t the severity of the contact but the timing the theory is Hamlin was hit in the heart in between heart beats if it would have happened st any other time during the heart beat there would have been no problem
They're also saying that it's been known to occur in baseball if a player is hit by a pitcher or takes a line drive in the chest.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Regarding whether the match should have continued and if so when reminds me of a very similar situation with Christian Eriksen. He was playing soccer for Denmark in the Euro 2020 tournament and fell to the ground after receiving a throw in due to suffering a cardiac arrest. He was resussitated and went to hospital in a critical condition, about 45 minutes later the news comes out that he is alive and stable)

The players wer given the choice to player later that evening (after about a 90 minute delay) or at noon the next morning. They chose to play that evening, though one player who was particularly close to Eriksen had to come off distraught about his friend.

The authorities were generally criticised for making the players choose at a time they were in shock not not being given a choice to delay the game by more than 18 hours.

It appears the authorities have learnt from that incident with the decision to put everything on hold and make a decision when things have calmed down even if that means eliminating some options.
Details of Eriksen's Cardiac Arrest

TwilightError

Reaction score
Yes that looks very similar than what happened to Christian Eriksen. Eriksen survived and continued his career later. But very similar incidents happened with other soccer players Patrick Ekeng and Marc-Vivien Foe too. They did not survive.

All the best to Hamlin. I really hope he recovers.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Obviously, they made the right choice to suspend the game, the players having to watch CPR and the frantic medical attention being given to a friend and teammate.

This could set the entire playoff schedule back a week. It would seem to be the only option available that would be fair to all involved.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Obviously, they made the right choice to suspend the game, the players having to watch CPR and the frantic medical attention being given to a friend and teammate.

This could set the entire playoff schedule back a week. It would seem to be the only option available that would be fair to all involved.
Absolutely. They league made the 2 week break in between the championship games and the SB to give themselves that leeway if they ever needed to move playoffs out a week. This absolutely would quality and be a good solution.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Yes, in bold: it's the oxygen to brain issue.
The odds of survival after having to had CPR performed aren't as good. One of the things they taught me in my required first aid classes was that if you had to perform CPR on a victim, that the odds were that they wouldn't make it.

D

DomeHawk

Even in the best of health our lives are tenuous. I remember going in for a physical at a time I was really serious about training for big mountain climbs.I had got my resting heartbeat down to 46 and was proud of my overall conditioning.

Dr. took his time listening to my heart and I said to him, "pretty good huh?" "Doesn't matter," he said. "You could drop dead tomorrow."

Live every moment!

MesquiteHawk

Reaction score
The 9 minutes of CPR makes it concerning for brain damage though. If he's still not breathing on his own, also not a good sign.
Fingers crossed he makes it thru this.
Actually, he may end up without brain damage. Recent changes to CPR protocol has you doing chest compressions even if there is a pulse if the PT is not breathing. Rescue breathing can be very effective.

It should be noted that the AED is the life saver in these situations. For every minute the AED is delayed, the PT loses about 10% chance of survival. Additionally, it is likely that they had access to an actual defibrillator (not AED) which can be adjusted to shock for different heart rhythm issues.

MesquiteHawk

Reaction score
The odds of survival after having to had CPR performed aren't as good. One of the things they taught me in my required first aid classes was that if you had to perform CPR on a victim, that the odds were that they wouldn't make it.
A lot depends on the age of the PT and the cause of the heart issue, but you are correct. It is never a good thing. Also have to assume that they were doing CPR properly, so this kid is pretty broken up inside. I always taught that your goal was to break all of the ribs because you are working on a dead thing and you cannot hurt a dead thing. You can only hope to bring the dead thing back to life.

Yes it sounds harsh, but I find that the biggest weakness in bystander CPR is incomplete compressions due to not wanting to hurt the person. Must get that out of your head!

RiverDog

Reaction score
Absolutely. They league made the 2 week break in between the championship games and the SB to give themselves that leeway if they ever needed to move playoffs out a week. This absolutely would quality and be a good solution.
I think they've done that before, perhaps due to 9/11?
A lot depends on the age of the PT and the cause of the heart issue, but you are correct. It is never a good thing. Also have to assume that they were doing CPR properly, so this kid is pretty broken up inside. I always taught that your goal was to break all of the ribs because you are working on a dead thing and you cannot hurt a dead thing. You can only hope to bring the dead thing back to life.

Yes it sounds harsh, but I find that the biggest weakness in bystander CPR is incomplete compressions due to not wanting to hurt the person. Must get that out of your head!
Yeah, that corresponds to what I was taught, that you might end up breaking the sternum, especially in an older patient, but that it was risk that had to be taken. But they did make exceptions for small children and infants.

MesquiteHawk

Reaction score
I think they've done that before, perhaps due to 9/11?

Yeah, that corresponds to what I was taught, that you might end up breaking the sternum, especially in an older patient, but that it was risk that had to be taken. But they did make exceptions for small children and infants.
Yes, an infant would be destroyed. 2 fingers on the sternum with rapid compressions And small puffs of air.

Hopefully this incident will cause people to get CPR training.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Yes, an infant would be destroyed. 2 fingers on the sternum with rapid compressions And small puffs of air.

Hopefully this incident will cause people to get CPR training.
Agreed. I was a line supervisor for 40 years, and there's a law in WA that requires anyone that supervises over X number of people to receive regular first aid training that includes CPR, so I've pushed down on and blown into a lot of dummies. It includes a lot of stuff besides CPR, ie choking, controlling bleeding, etc.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I could be way off base but I'm more confident for some reason this morning that he will make it out of this. The initial report at least is better news than expected with his vitals returning to normal.
I'm the opposite..but without any reputable updates we can only guess. As others have said oxygen to the brain or lack thereof is a serious concern. Are the machines still breathing for him? Brain function? Consciousness? We sadly dont know right now but I think the longer it goes without a positive update I dont think it'll be good..

Latest posts