Battle for RG?

toffee

Reaction score
Totally premature, but we might have a battle on backup RG? According to PFF, after one preseason game, Anthony Bradford sucked, and Liam Ryan did good, very good.

Bradford was 45 snaps, 17 run blocks, graded 41.9; 28 pass blocks, graded 4.0; overall 29.2
Liam was 14 snaps, 10 run blocks, graded 67.6; 4 pass blacks, graded 76.5; overall 70.9

our potential starting RG Phil haynes played OK, he played LG for this game
Haynes was 15 snaps, 5 run blocks, graded 58; 10 pass blacks, graded 82.1; overall 64.

Anthony Bradford has some work to do, if he couldn't improve, we might have a problem.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Liam Ryan and Abe Lucas were the LT and RT pair in College, so would be kinda cool if he can make some waves. Ryan was a pretty good LT, but definitely has more of a guard body and game. Depth would be nice as that has been sorely lacking the past few years.

It was Bradfords first game though and Haynes is the best option and his spot to lose.

NoGain

Reaction score
My ultimate multiple bowls full of a pipe dream is that we could trade for Zach Martin and somehow get it under the CAP. Can you imagine a line of Cross/Lewis/Olu/Martin/Lucas? It would be a great mix of talent, youth, and experience, with Martin about the best mentor you could ask for.

Like I said, a major pipe dream.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Liam Ryan and Abe Lucas were the LT and RT pair in College, so would be kinda cool if he can make some waves. Ryan was a pretty good LT, but definitely has more of a guard body and game. Depth would be nice as that has been sorely lacking the past few years.

It was Bradfords first game though and Haynes is the best option and his spot to lose.
I am a sucker for underdogs, Liam is my man :)

Mick063

Reaction score
Bradford is a run game mauler that isn't ready for prime-time pass blocking. Less of a technique issue related to the blocking itself, it is more of an issue with familiarity and continuity with teammates. He will get there in reasonable time. He just needs to put in the reps. For now, he should find his niche in short yardage and goal line situations and work up from there. For a guy his size, it is all about muscle memory relative to pad level. For the run game, his first instinct has to be getting his pads low with his balance under control. Further, for an interior lineman, pass blocking typically begins with a powerful shove to stop momentum. It isn't technically difficult relative to a tackle that has to deal with edge spins and bends. In comparison, it is an easily learned behavior. I personally like his addition because Seattle has invested in running backs and Bradford brings synergy with the run game.

A PFF score from the first preseason game is not a representative sample of what he may bring a few weeks from now. Certainly not enough to draw any conclusions from. Players rarely enter the league as an immediate finished product.

Last edited:

RockinHawks

Reaction score
Liam Ryan is fun to root for... and has some flexibility to his "positionality" (I want to copyright that word). I'd love to see him continue more positive reps, as he's possibly a better backup at LT than Forsythe. He has some experience at LT, but his ability to flex along the line could be something to watch.