Atrocious Time Management

BlueOne

Reaction score
A lot of people talked last week about Pete's decision not to use our timeouts to give us a minute left at the end of the Rams game. Many people gave Pete a pass because "it worked" or somehow us not using timeouts puts Clemens under more pressure than he was already under despite the fact that Clemens had plenty of time, three timeouts, and was already under maximum pressure knowing this was the last time the Rams would touch the ball. (In fact if you go back and look the Rams actually correctly milked the clock between a number of plays to make sure they had the ball last). Well this week at the end of the game another decision was made that could easily have cost the Seahawks the game.

Driving for the tie, with the clock ticking down to the two minute warning, someone on the coaching staff clearly had the Seahawks rush to the line and snap the ball to get in one last rush before the warning. WHY? The only likely result of this decision, and the one that occurred, is that the Seahawks make that rush before instead of after the two minute warning. What this accomplishes is that either the Bucs gain an extra 40 seconds of clock for their last drive, or if the Bucs play it properly they simply call a timeout after the run and they have 1 less timeout for their final drive. (Note the Seahawks have all 3 of their timeouts and are in no need of saving time). Forty seconds, or one timeout just handed to the Bucs for the final drive for no reason. These type of coaching mistakes are just as bad as a drop or a player forgetting to go out of bounds and they will lose the Seahawks a game one of these days if they continue.

BillHawks

Reaction score
I liked it. Tampa looked absolutely gassed to me at that point. I think they thought they could get a big play there. They didn't but it worked out in the end, I guess.

Faust

Reaction score
Had we called time outs and they went for it and ultimately got a field goal you'd say the same thing.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
This fanbase has to lead the NFL in hand-wringing over decisions that result in utterly no negatives.

getnasty

Reaction score
Yes this made no sense what so ever. Pete is not know for his in game decision making. Last week i liked not calling time outs, i think you have to show confidence in you defense, this week was all kinds of wrong.

OP
OP
B

BlueOne

Reaction score
Faust":2un4alkl said:
Had we called time outs and they went for it and ultimately got a field goal you'd say the same thing.

What?

bigwrm

Reaction score
As the announcers mentioned, we wasted a lot of waiting to call the timeout at the end of the half (or was it the end of regulation? I can't even remember anymore). They let at least 10 or 15 seconds roll off the clock before calling it, which may have cost us a chance to get in field goal position. Although I noticed that they added 4 seconds to the clock after they came back from the break so maybe Pete called it a little sooner that it originally looked.

mikeak

Reaction score
I did not like the St Louis call

The 2 min call today was different. You hope that the Bucs aren't ready and think that we will go to 2 min warning plus I agree they looked tired