Are the Seahawks capped out for 2024?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
The answer is a big "no."

Yes, if you look it up -now-, they have almost nothing. But they have a deceptive amount of outs and common sense cuts for this coming offseason.

Here's a quick simulation of some common sense cuts, which a few optional trades. We can make $50 million of space, and right quick.

TL;DR: The cap space for 2024 is misleading. There is a lot of fat on the books that can be trimmed, and pronto.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
The answer is a big "no."

Yes, if you look it up -now-, they have almost nothing. But they have a deceptive amount of outs and common sense cuts for this coming offseason.

Here's a quick simulation of some common sense cuts, which a few optional trades. We can make $50 million of space, and right quick.

View attachment 62132

TL;DR: The cap space for 2024 is misleading. There is a lot of fat on the books that can be trimmed, and pronto.
I wouldn’t mind losing all those guys but keeping Metcalf.

I’m a firm believer that Metcalf hasn’t been used to his potential yet.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind losing all those guys but keeping Metcalf.

I’m a firm believer that Metcalf hasn’t been used to his potential yet.
Yeah, Metcalf saves next to nothing cap-wise. Legitimate chance of him being traded, though, just from a viewpoint of needing more draft capital if they want to take a big swing at QB.

Polk738

Reaction score
Pete really thinks he's got the reincarnation of Earl and Kam in those two safeties with how much cap space they are taking up

flv2

Reaction score
Lockett and Jones will probably have their scheduled cap hits altered. If either is retained the Seahawks could account for a significant amount of the scheduled 2024 cap hit in 2025 instead. That's without resorting to extensions or bogus years. Currently Lockett is due $16.9M and Jones $11.5M. Lockett is 1 reception away from triggering a $1.05M escalator for 2024.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I anticipate Jamal will restructure. I'm not convinced he will get much on the open market even with the Seahawks chipping in whatever they have to.

I have to wonder about Bobby as well. He is a UFA and will be a year older. Then again, who the heck replaces him if we don't offer another one year deal?

knownone

Reaction score
That is a good analysis of how easy it is to open cap space. Let's be honest, though; they're not trading D.K. to open up 1.5M. They'd need a pretty good ROI to make that move.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Keep in mind, they currently only have 40 players under contract next year. If you cut 9 more, you have 31 players, or barely half a roster. Now you have $57m in cap plus 7 draft picks (maybe 9 or 10 with the trades) to get to 53 players.

Additionally, now you have no QB on the roster and LB, Safety and TE are pretty much empty also.

Either way I think it's going to be a challenge to field an improved roster next year, short of a 3rd consecutive draft homerun that includes a rookie QB.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
New head coach! New offensive coordinator! New system! New everything! Probably means new and improved DK Metcalf! Hopefully…I can dream!!!! Lol
Welcome to the Seattle Seahawks office temp agency. Don't even bother to get to know your locker mate's name, as they won't be there long....

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Doesn't Geno's contract have a bunch of incentives? And didn't we have to count those against the cap this year (for this year's incentives)? If they aren't earned and are then not paid (which seems likely) do the unpaid incentives roll over to next year's cap?

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
That is a good analysis of how easy it is to open cap space. Let's be honest, though; they're not trading D.K. to open up 1.5M. They'd need a pretty good ROI to make that move.
Yeah, that was just a case of me seeing how it'd affect the cap and being too lazy to refresh the page since there was no option to undo it lol

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Pete really thinks he's got the reincarnation of Earl and Kam in those two safeties with how much cap space they are taking up
I hadn't looked at their cap hits until this year. I assumed they were like $20 mil a year each the way I've seen this mentioned. They're under $25 million together and the team isn't married to them with huge dead cap hits after this year. They're the fifth/seventh most expensive cap hits this season, and I see where the criticism comes from. But like Maelstrom says, it seems excessive.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Keep in mind, they currently only have 40 players under contract next year. If you cut 9 more, you have 31 players, or barely half a roster. Now you have $57m in cap plus 7 draft picks (maybe 9 or 10 with the trades) to get to 53 players.

Additionally, now you have no QB on the roster and LB, Safety and TE are pretty much empty also.

Either way I think it's going to be a challenge to field an improved roster next year, short of a 3rd consecutive draft homerun that includes a rookie QB.
I’m in this boat I don’t think they’re in a great spot for next year cap wise. Unless you just do an giant reset and Pete isn’t going to do that

flv2

Reaction score
Doesn't Geno's contract have a bunch of incentives? And didn't we have to count those against the cap this year (for this year's incentives)? If they aren't earned and are then not paid (which seems likely) do the unpaid incentives roll over to next year's cap?
Incentives fall under 1 of 2 categories: likely to be earned, (LTBE), and not likely to be earned, (NLTBE). LTBE simply means that the targets or circumstances required to trigger payments were met in the previous season. Those incentives have to be accounted for in the current season before they are determined. If the targets aren't reached the team gets a cap refund for the following year. By definition targets that exceed performance in a previous year are NLTBE and they are then deducted from the following year's cap if they are reached. Thus Smith's 2023 incentives do not count towards the 2023 cap. If he reaches any targets he will be paid in 2023 and the amount paid will be deducted from the 2024 cap space.

Not relevant here but for technical purposes any rookie year contract incentive is classed as LTBE to avoid teams from lowering rookie caps even further.

QWERTY

Reaction score
Love and DK aren't going anywhere.

But what about the cap for Williams? Or was he a 1-year rental?