Apple Cup Thread

D

DomeHawk

The Cougs have nothing to be ashamed about, they finish the regular season 10-2 and ranked. This was a team who faced a terrible tragedy when their starting QB committed suicide in the off season and was predicted to be at the bottom of the conference by every sport's reporting publication.

As for the Apple Cup, I wrote earlier in the week that UDub is a team that will always be difficult, if not impossible, to be beat by teams like WSU. Strong fundamentals, a balanced running/passing game, and elite DB's will be difficult to game plan for a team that relies on a one-dimensional offense.

As for Leach, he is a realist, he isn't going to get the recruits necessary to compete head-up with the UW's, USC's, Oregons, not to mention the rest of the diluted Pac-12 so he utilizes/designs an offense he has developed through the years to simply outscore the opponent. And, it works more often than not. I still think he's coach of the year.

Minshew also, what a fabulous season, last night's conditions and the fact that he hasn't faced a defense like UDub's left him emotionally spent but that's football. Dude left all out on the field and I hope he is sitting among the select few at the Heisman Trophy Selection show.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Conference Titles
Chris Petersen: 6 (and counting)
Leach: 0

Top 10 National Finishes
Chris Petersen: 5

Top 15 National Finishes
Chris Petersen: 8
Leach: 1

Coaching Record
Chris Petersen: 138-32 (81%)
Leach: 132–83 (61%)

D

DomeHawk

hawknation2018":1fai2yaz said:
Conference Titles

Top 10 National Finishes

Top 15 National Finishes

Coaching Record

Yeah, it's obvious that Coach Petersen is the better strong program coach but I think this is somewhat out-of-context. Leach still deserves credit for doing more with less

hawknation2018

Reaction score
DomeHawk":1ginf0wa said:
hawknation2018":1ginf0wa said:
Conference Titles

Top 10 National Finishes

Top 15 National Finishes

Coaching Record

Yeah, it's obvious that Coach Petersen is the better strong program coach but I think this is somewhat out-of-context. Leach still deserves credit for doing more with less

Doing what? He hasn’t done squat.

Mike Price was a much better HC for WSU. At least he won a couple conference championships.

D

DomeHawk

hawknation2018":31t787z2 said:
DomeHawk":31t787z2 said:
hawknation2018":31t787z2 said:
Conference Titles

Top 10 National Finishes

Top 15 National Finishes

Coaching Record

Doing what? He hasn’t done squat.

Mike Price was a much better HC for WSU. At least he won a couple conference championships.

Mike Price was 83–78 at WSU and Like Leach is 48–40. That was a different era, Utah and Colorado hadn't joined the Pac yet further diluting an already diluted Pac-10 conference. WSU has the 57th ranked talent composite this year. It was also before Oregon started building facilities that made everyone else's look like a Tijuana slum. Schools followed suit with renovated facilities and stadiums. WSU was left with the 2nd smallest stadium in major college football and facilities to match. Most schools were also located in more favorable locales compared to the remote outpost of Pullman. There was even talk of WSU moving to a smaller conference. (Can't believe I am spending this much time defending the Cougs, lol.)

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Footb ... Composite/

hawknation2018

Reaction score
In addition to never having accomplished anything meaningful in 17 seasons as a HC, Leach acts like a disrespectful jackass, mistreats his players, propogates false conspiracy theories, and publicly throws his players under bus time and time again. He is the picture perfect definition of an overrated coach (and human being).

D

DomeHawk

hawknation2018":1dsefthr said:
In addition to never having accomplished anything meaningful in 17 seasons as a HC, Leach acts like a disrespectful jackass, mistreats his players, propogates false conspiracy theories, and publicly throws his players under bus time and time again. He is the picture perfect definition of an overrated coach (and human being).

Well, actually I am not aware of all those things you mention. I have just always thought of him as eccentric. I would be curious to see what his players think of him. If that is indeed true, it would change things for me.

D

DomeHawk

hawknation2018":39s31wn5 said:

Some of those articles are concerning and some seem like hyperbole, like I said, I would like to know what his players think of him.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
DomeHawk":3t0wfxeu said:
hawknation2018":3t0wfxeu said:

Some of those articles are concerning and some seem like hyperbole, like I said, I would like to know what his players think of him.

Good for you. I really don’t give a shit what anyone from WSU thinks of him.

D

DomeHawk

hawknation2018":2cvbg7o5 said:
DomeHawk":2cvbg7o5 said:
hawknation2018":2cvbg7o5 said:

So much anger, lighten up dude, it's the holidays. Hope you and yours are well!

getnasty

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1cxaslzb said:
DomeHawk":1cxaslzb said:
hawknation2018":1cxaslzb said:

Yeah be mad at Mike Leach for being a dick and then act like one yourself. I love it!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
getnasty":1y0ur1ik said:
Who outside of Saben and Sweeny are amazing then, please I'd love to hear.

Maybe not many. Which is why i was surprised at the attention he was getting the last two years.

Look, not trying to shit on Leach. I just dont think he's done as much as many assume.. and maybe should be held to a little higher standard with his end of season struggles.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
The Coug's never had the defense needed to win against the Husky's . The Coug's are a spread offense team that when confronted with a complete football team the plays great defense and runs the ball with a quality QB is going to lose .That system will never win until they put out a defense that can stop big schools from running it down there throat. They played a weak out of conference schedule they never would have made the final 4. We'll see how there bowl game turns out if they have to play another big school with a great defense. No i'm not a Coug fan i loved watching Washington expose that defense.

getnasty

Reaction score
Uncle Si":4d6ufdq0 said:
getnasty":4d6ufdq0 said:
Who outside of Saben and Sweeny are amazing then, please I'd love to hear.

Maybe not many. Which is why i was surprised at the attention he was getting the last two years.

Look, not trying to shit on Leach. I just dont think he's done as much as many assume.. and maybe should be held to a little higher standard with his end of season struggles.

I understand what your saying with the late season struggles and he certainly has to figure out UW but just remember we are talking about Pullman Washington here. I'm not sure if you've ever been but to get a inner city kid to come there only happens because they don't have to many options. As a Coug we would love to challenge for Pac 12 titles ever year but realistically the talent gap is just to far to do so year in and year out. Leach at least has made up the difference in that gap the last few years and made them relevant.

getnasty

Reaction score
hawknation2018":10revwl9 said:
Conference Titles

Top 10 National Finishes

Top 15 National Finishes

Coaching Record

This is the problem your trying to compare them as if UW and WSU are on an even playing field. There not and it's not even close. How do you think would have more wins Peterson at Texas Tech or Leach at Boise State? I guarantee that Leach at Boise State because the Conference is so weak. I'm not taking anything away from Peterson he's a good coach to but to just throw stats out like that doesn't make sense. By that logic Luke Falk might be the best Pac 12 quarterback of all time.

getnasty

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":1pnl3rrn said:
The Coug's never had the defense needed to win against the Husky's . The Coug's are a spread offense team that when confronted with a complete football team the plays great defense and runs the ball with a quality QB is going to lose .That system will never win until they put out a defense that can stop big schools from running it down there throat. They played a weak out of conference schedule they never would have made the final 4. We'll see how there bowl game turns out if they have to play another big school with a great defense. No i'm not a Coug fan i loved watching Washington expose that defense.

When you play the style of play that WSU has your going to give up a ton of points that just come with the territory. Nobody was saying they were getting into the final 4. Not sure how the system doesn't work when there 10-2 with a loss to a way more talented USC team on a horrible call and a good UW team. UW didn't expose there defense, maybe the offense in the snow but not there defense.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
getnasty":10rl8fkl said:
Northwest Seahawk":10rl8fkl said:

When you play the style of play that WSU has your going to give up a ton of points that just come with the territory. Nobody was saying they were getting into the final 4. Not sure how the system doesn't work when there 10-2 with a loss to a way more talented USC team on a horrible call and a good UW team. UW didn't expose there defense, maybe the offense in the snow but not there defense.

You can talk to me about how good there system works when they win the pac 12 championship.