Andrew Billings or Robert Nkemdiche

xgeoff

Reaction score
I saw Billings was an all star offensive lineman in high school. Maybe he can play on the DL AND be one of Cable's projects on the OL ;)

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Neither for me.

I'd rather have Bullard over Nkemdiche, and Butler over Billings as Butler's unusual length and physical abilities are intriguing.

Besides I think Nkemdiche is very immature and although possessed of exceptional physicality he's a high risk player as far as character concerns. Nkemdiche only flashed his potential whereas Bullard is a relentless pursuer when not involved in the initial tackle. Butler played at lower level of competition in college but was dominant at the Snr. Bowl and may be more versatile than Billings which might while possessed of exceptional and rare length and size . Billings is big and very strong but not as dominant against competition and may be simply a big tough NT who is young.

McGruff

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1z3ra3i5 said:
Neither for me.

I'd rather have Bullard over Nkemdiche, and Butler over Billings as Butler's unusual length and physical abilities are intriguing.

Besides I think Nkemdiche is very immature and although possessed of exceptional physicality he's a high risk player as far as character concerns. Nkemdiche only flashed his potential whereas Bullard is a relentless pursuer when not involved in the initial tackle. Butler played at lower level of competition in college but was dominant at the Snr. Bowl and may be more versatile than Billings which might while possessed of exceptional and rare length and size . Billings is big and very strong but not as dominant against competition and may be simply a big tough NT who is young.

Jammer and I are normally lock step when it comes to prospects. The fact that we disagree on Nkemdiche is a beautiful thing.

FTR, I also freely acknowledge that I may be minimizing Nkemdiche's off field issues cause I missed so badly on the Honey Badger. I thought that guy would be dead of an overdose by now.

McGruff

Reaction score
And I still like DJ Reader more than any other run stuffing nose tackle in this draft.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Nkemdiche sounds way too toxic for us to take a chance on...

pugs1

Reaction score
Count me in the Nkemdiche camp! I know the dude has had his problems but I think the Seahawks coaching staff and locker room are a perfect fit for him. This team has a way of embracing unique personalities and getting those players to flourish within the structure of a team.

godawg

Reaction score
Nikemdiche reminds me of Percy Harvin, a gifted athlete whose ability to turn on his teammates will cause several GMs to covet and curse him.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I like the DJ Reader shoutout from McGruff. Good, solid player who might be overlooked a bit with so much talent surrounding him at Clemson.

That said, I'll take Billings with the #26 pick all day, every day.

I disagree with kearly that he's a poor run defender. He might have some gap control issues, but that's really more a mental/experience problem. Physically, he's a strongest bully on the DL in this draft. You see it on tape, by the 3rd quarter the opposing OL are done. They don't want any part of him.

More than just brute strength, he's got some surprising agility for a big man with great balance. He can bend well and side step with quickness and get to the running back if the OL think they can block him 1 on 1.

I do agree with Kearly about his pass rush ability. He may not be a 3rd down rushing DL, but he would add some much needed push up the middle in base D. Something Rubin or Silliga will never have.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
McGruff":2ce09eii said:
FTR, I also freely acknowledge that I may be minimizing Nkemdiche's off field issues cause I missed so badly on the Honey Badger. I thought that guy would be dead of an overdose by now.

I didn't like Mathieu because of the risk. And that risk was real. But I never denied the playmaking ability. You could see it on tape and it was explosive.

Nkemdiche's tape frankly sucks. If I didn't know his reputation, I'd say he's at best a 4th round pick. I wouldn't have cared for him in the same way I like Grady Jarrett last year who was taken in R5. I'd have put his game play at less than Xavier Cooper in last year's draft who was taken at #96.

And I don't see him as Javon Hargrave's peer in this draft class who looks like he'll go R3 as well.

As a player, he's a 4th round dude for me. Add risk and he's basically R6. He'll go higher than that. I'm sure he'll continue to be a non productive underachiever as he's been his entire career.

I get the second guessing of the risk factor. But you need to apply that to true difference makers. Nkemdiche has never been that. And unlike Mathieu whose work ethic wasn't impugned -- Nkemdiche is a self admitted sluggard.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I love Billings. He's really young and has at least one very elite trait - strength/power.

But he also has a motor, cares about being great, and has that nice leverage from being in that Mebane/Donald/Randle/Atkins height range.

The Seahawks have great dline coaching to get his hand use and get-off to a high level too. I really think Billings is a beautiful prospect for this staff to turn into a stud.

OP
OP
D

delagator7

Reaction score
gowazzu02":3p5x5qfm said:
delagator7":3p5x5qfm said:
Butler is a guy they are looking at.. they brought him in for a private workout, and a reasonable choice at #26.
Reminds me of Mohammed Wilkerson of the Jets.

If you know about the workout,,,,its not private. And if they brought him in for a workout, they wont draft him.

Private meaning bringing him to Seattle VMAC to work him out as stand alone prospect. Not being kept a secret to the public.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Nkemdiche is a rare athletic freak. I caught the sports science episode, and man his numbers were insane. But, I would like to say neither. There is a possibility the best interior d lineman may come from a lower round. I would like to see them go o line, but wouldn't be too dissapointed with nkemdiche.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Nkemdiche for me. With the Seahawks leadership, you could tap into his ability.

Can't say I understand the Billings hype. Kept hearing about him, and everything I've watched, I always end up saying, "so...what am I missing here?" Not saying he's a bad player by any means, but seems like the type of 2 down player you don't use a 1st rounder on. Also...he comes from Baylor, who has a horrific history with trench players.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":8huewuym said:

Can't say I understand the Billings hype. Kept hearing about him, and everything I've watched, I always end up saying, "so...what am I missing here?" Not saying he's a bad player by any means, but seems like the type of 2 down player you don't use a 1st rounder on. Also...he comes from Baylor, who has a horrific history with trench players.

Reading that seems like you switched up the names

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":gaamdpss said:

Billings seemed to blow up the inside on passing plays, and he seems to accelerate quickly for someone his size.

I think he will get some sacks himself, but he would add at least a few sacks to the rest of the team.

He wouldn't just be a replacement for Mebane, he would likely be an upgrade by year 2 (if not as a rookie) at a lower cap hit AND his athleticism allows the hawks to try some new things they couldn't do with mebane. Hawks hate wasting athleticism.