A thought for Duck fans... and I guess for Duck haters

SharkHawk

Reaction score
My mom went to Oregon. My grandpa went to Oregon State. I think she did it just to make him mad. She hated it though. She ended up transferring. The big family joke is always everybody fighting about who is a duck and who is a beaver. My Grandpa put in a ton of cash for the student athlete center and has some stuff up in his name there in Corvallis. My aunt was a Duck and was always so proud of it. She ended up living in Eugene until she died in her 90's. So my family on my mom's side is always riled up about that whole thing. All I can remember is Oregon REALLY sucked when I was a kid. I mean they were just awful. So for those fans of schools like Wazzu, don't worry... these things tend to work in cycles. The Beavers were just terrible too. In those days it was Washington and UCLA (this was after USC dropped into the toilet due to John Robinson's good coaching and illegal recruiting practices) that pretty much dominated the PAC 10.

The one thing I'll say about the whole conference though is that it has always had enjoyable rivalries. Ducks/Beavers Huskies/Cougars Cardinal/Bears Bruins/Trojans and Devils/Wildcats are all fantastic rivalries. But Utah/Colorado? Come on. Conferences need to stop trying to create rivalries. It reminds me of baseball trying to make the M's rivals with the Padres. What the heck is that all about? The Padres??

I always get a bit bummed out when a good coach leaves the conference, because I think the PAC 12 should be a destination job, like the SEC jobs are. Guys would rather be in the SEC than the NFL. I'd like to see the PAC reach that level again. It just makes the conference play much more enjoyable to watch, even if I don't really have a "team". I grew up watching the Huskies, but have been out of touch with them since I was about 9. It just sort of loses its kick after a while. I thought this season was pretty fun for the conference as a whole though and I wish Directv had carried the PAC TV network. Hopefully Chip is just pushing for a raise and sticks around. I think teams like the program he has built at Oregon help to lift the whole conference and make them all take things seriously and work harder which equals more enjoyable viewing.

jkitsune

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3acoyhk4 said:
And i'm sure yo'ull be rushing the field :roll:

:lol: (actually i'll support the rushing the field that time)
[/quote]

I'm so glad I'll have your permission....!

When we beat the Ducks, regardless of how good or bad either team is at the time, I'm going to sprint from my home in San Mateo, CA to whichever stadium so I can rush the field.

CPHawk

Reaction score
cesame":2jkfnjq6 said:
Chris Petersen could be a seamless transition for Oregon.

That said, there's a chance the Ducks might just promote Mark Helfrich.

The Ducks are in a good position either way. Love ya Uncle Phil!

Don't want him, don't need him and don't want to go back to that O. Going to Pete's O would be like going from a Ferrari to an accord.

Helfrich will be the HC, the O will stay the same and UW can expect to watch Mariota, Thomas Tyner and Dontre Wilson running over them for at least 3-4 more years.

cesame

Reaction score
You only hire Helfrich over Petersen if you believe Helfrich won't bolt like Chip is going to.

CPHawk

Reaction score
cesame":34rxx1lm said:
You only hire Helfrich over Petersen if you believe Helfrich won't bolt like Chip is going to.

He was born in Medford, grew up in Coos Bay and played at SOU. I don't think he will leave, this is his dream job.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Petersen isn't going anywhere. If he was he would've left already.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
If that's the case, I hope Helfrich can do what Kelly couldn't, and that is: Scheme better during the big games. I love Chip and his philosophies, but during big time games, he gets way too damn cute.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":knj3fz64 said:
If that's the case, I hope Helfrich can do what Kelly couldn't, and that is: Scheme better during the big games. I love Chip and his philosophies, but during big time games, he gets way too damn cute.

Funny, cuz I actually think the opposite is true. I think in those big games he gets too stubborn and just keeps trying the same thing over and over and over even if its not working. If anything I wish he would get more creative and try and be more cute.