Spin Doctor

Reaction score
A-Dog":3hbb3jbf said:
Dead money and cap saving for cutting Doug after this season:

Dead:
$6,287,500

Savings:
$6,856,250

If he doesn't recover and return to form by the end of the season I could see cutting him as a possibility but I think it would be at least one season too early to think about cutting him just because he's over 30 and they need cap space. As it stands the team is in pretty good shape cap-wise (over $70m under if you count Kam as being cut), especially if you assume Earl will move on.
Right, because cutting your only proven receiver is a path to fixing the offense. He isn't even paid much for a receiver of his caliber. If he declines as an outside receiver he would quite possibly be the best slot receiver in the NFL, just bump him there on most downs. Everyone loves jumping on the Lockett hype train, but in the grand scheme of things we don't know how he'll hold up as a full time starter, nor how he'll look as a full season starter on the outside.

A-Dog

Reaction score
To be clear, I'm not in favor of cutting Baldwin. Someone else brought up the possibility so I looked at the cap situation. He has a $13M+ cap number next year so it's reasonable to think he could be cut if his effectiveness is in question due to health reasons. Hopefully he makes it back to full speed in the second half of the season so it's no longer a question.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
xray":1561dcfd said:
Let's face the facts that very few Seahawk players "gush" over Wilson. He is not a locker room favorite.....wonder why?? :stirthepot:

Why do almost all your posts seem to contain one of these -> :stirthepot:

Never mind, I know why. :roll:

Fade

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":p6o45f47 said:
Doug is 30. The reality is that not many players play into their 30s. He obviously won’t be at 100% anytime this season. It’s always a possibility that this might be his last season in Seattle. Age and injuries have a way of depleting the best players and eventually apply to everyone. I look for him to start playing better after the bye week. I won’t be surprised either way if he’s back next year or not.

Age isn't a factor for a WR until about 33-34, they aren't runningbacks.

Fitz would've retired years ago. Antonio Brown is 30, Julio will be 30 in Feb.

Bobby Engram was a better receiver in his 30s than in his 20s.

Bobby Engram at age 34 caught 94 balls for 1147 yds.

Stahp.

Getting rid of Baldwin would be beyond stupid. Not re-signing him eventually when his deal is up is another thing all together.

erik2690

Reaction score
I think it's pretty well known that Doug at least a few years back would shade/vaguebook RW quite often online and in media. It hasn't seemed obvious to me in recent years but him being a source on that ESPN story would not be all out shocking. I mean Sherm is his boy and Sherm was clearly the main source so him saying 'call my boy Doug and get some quotes' wouldn't be that crazy a notion.

trharder

Reaction score
erik2690":31an7ijo said:
I think it's pretty well known that Doug at least a few years back would shade/vaguebook RW quite often online and in media. It hasn't seemed obvious to me in recent years but him being a source on that ESPN story would not be all out shocking. I mean Sherm is his boy and Sherm was clearly the main source so him saying 'call my boy Doug and get some quotes' wouldn't be that crazy a notion.
That's my thing too. I think it's likely Salk has access to rumors that the rest of us don't. "Thoughtful" Doug Baldwin has several times publicly criticized RW. He's been given a pass because he's so "thoughtful" and just keeping it real etc. A few years ago, you couldn't even mention in this town not having Richard Sherman on the team. Sherm received pass after pass, as everyone took Pete Carroll's lead. It turned out what we were seeing on the surface (which was bad enough) was just the tip of the iceberg. It didn't bother anyone here when you saw Doug screaming at a Seahawks front office guy on the sidelines this year - in his street clothes? Is it at all a stretch to think someone willing to do that might also be an anonymous source for the drive-by national sports media?

Pete creates a culture on his team where players are allowed to be themselves. Unfortunately, this sometimes comes back to bite him in the ass. You can't go to youtube and watch Russell Wilson highlights without seeing a phenomenal amount of
Doug Baldwin highlights. He might or might not have years left as a player. Lately, the trend seems to be to part ways with players who think they are bigger than the team. It might be time for Doug too.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think Doug with a off season surgery probably will be fine and rehab, that's not his problem long term, he may need to manage it a lot this year.

Dougs issue is he is one of a few hold overs, Wagner, Thomas, Wright and Wilson I think are the others. Roster Churn, Salary savings. Wright and Baldwin may be the next two we see leave, especially if you look at who is getting reps and being given chances right now.

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
The only town that Baldwin carries any weight is Seattle. Where is "the best receiver" on this team ending up? Rams? New England? Pack? Not a chance. He should learn some humility as his free market value is far below his asking price. He is a good player, and he thrived in a bad offense and maybe he goes someplace and lights it up. I just don't see it.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
NOLAHawk":1e3by3e4 said:
The only town that Baldwin carries any weight is Seattle. Where is "the best receiver" on this team ending up? Rams? New England? Pack? Not a chance. He should learn some humility as his free market value is far below his asking price. He is a good player, and he thrived in a bad offense and maybe he goes someplace and lights it up. I just don't see it.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I strongly disagree with this. Doug has arguably the best release off the line and us a top tier route runner. Put him with Brady and he's Wes Welker 2.0, definitely better than Edelman.

Being in Seattle's system has absolutely hurt Doug's production potential.

Vesuve

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2h786se3 said:
Sportsradio in this town is crap. They are on the level of the National Enquirer.
The only listenable guy is John Clayton, the rest is just gossipy inuendo.

Tes, Sports Radio has to fill a lot of time and they're constantly reacting to a local current sports event" or issue.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
erik2690":3f1kxkux said:

It’s still just gossip and innuendo, unless he actually knows something about that anonymous source.

Since around 2015, I’ve heard Baldwin be nothing but complimentary of Russell Wilson. Baldwin matured and became a better teammate.

The speculation (without evidence) just stirs the pot and risks complicating things and getting in Wilson’s head.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Vesuve":98m2z6rs said:
Sports Hernia":98m2z6rs said:
Sportsradio in this town is crap. They are on the level of the National Enquirer.
The only listenable guy is John Clayton, the rest is just gossipy inuendo.

Tes, Sports Radio has to fill a lot of time and they're constantly reacting to a local current sports event" or issue.
They also are known to make shit up, and start stuff with players (see Jim Moore) to create a story/controversy.
Like I said, on the level of the National Enquirer at times.

Latest posts