6-1. Last Time? Oh Yeah, THAT Year.

AirStrike

Reaction score
hawks85":1eimjx1o said:
I'm not impressed one bit. JImmy G is a horrible QB and is overrated. Their back up QB came in and torched this D, and scored 3 easy TD"s. Makes you wonder what if Mullens plays the whole game, do the 9ers win. If the Hawks can play D like this against the Rams or Cards etc... then I will be impressed.

They were in full prevent essentially for most of those TDs and yards. I disagree with it because I definitely think we should have imposed our will a little more. But it it is what it is. Mullens didn't torch us in a tied ball game.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3dbhz2of said:
Russell Wilson just doesn't fit in the description of a "pretty good Quarterback", and in actuality, the word 'Astonishing' doesn't even cover for what this humble & mind blowing individual produces, year in and year out.
Many of us ingrate Seahawks fans are very spoiled, and aren't even remotely aware of it. :vodka:
I have to raise my hand and confess, I was NOT a happy camper when the Seahawks drafted him. However, he blew me away in the first few games and I've been a believer ever since. He's magical.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I typically hate going to the prevent D so early in these games. It makes the games closer than they need to be.

But, you know what else the prevent D prevents? It prevents the injuries that tend to happen when the D imposes its will.

I'm ok with it this time around.

I agree that our defensive coordinator is rudimentary. I agree that our defense has struggled this year.

But that is true of almost all defenses this year. Very few are not struggling.

The plan for this defense, this year, was to be very different from years past, and from the way that NFL defenses are typically built. It is a riff on Carroll's historical love of the LEO, but takes it a step further. Yesterday, was our first real glimpse of what the off-season plan for this year's defense was, and why they built it the way they did.

This defense was not designed to bring primary pressure from the linemen, in a classical sense. It was built to have the linemen clog up the line, while the primary pressure was generated from the LEO (Irvin, Taylor), the LB corp (Brooks, Wagner), and the splash off-season acquisition (Adams). It is why Dunlap will be filling that LEO role.

Injuries forced us off plan, and maybe the plan isn't a good one, but injuries have forced us to improvise, adapt, and overcome.

They are starting to develop into a real defense now. The plan is starting to be implemented. The trajectory is only upward. I predict that, barring injury, they will be a top 10 defense by the time the playoffs roll around.

Paired with an MVP season from our 1st ballot HOF QB, this may be an unstoppable force. If our defense continues to improve, who can hang with us? It is looking like a very good possibility of a XL* revenge bowl this year.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Not impressed at all? That's just choosing to not give credit where it's due. But, yet again, complaining about how the team WINS. I just don't get it, but oh well. It was 30-7 with less than 10 minutes ago. That game was OVER. Garbage time TD's, while letting the opponent eat up the remaining clock doesn't change the fact that the Hawks outplayed the Niners.
Nobody is claiming they are even a good defense, yet. But they played their best game yet yesterday.
And why is it not even being discussed that they were without Adams, Griffin, Mayowa, Umadi, Carson and Hyde?
And, that they are about to get Adams, Griffin and Mayowa back. And ADD Dunlap and Snacks.
This Defense is very likely to get better. But to do what they did, with that many guys out? Homer or not, that was pretty damn solid. Just my opinion.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
To be fair Soulfish a few years ago the games were basically unwatchable.

Certainly in the 1st half.

We were winning (at least in the regular season...we tended to not only get bounced after the wildcard games but blown completely out). So there was that.

But it was awful football to watch. Lots of grinding the clock down and I think we averaged less than a TD by the half - while all the while having an HOF caliber QB that was one of the top QBs in the league.

We won games, largely due to Wilson's 4th quarter heroics and tremendous work by the defense holding teams down in the 4th giving Wilson the chance to come from behind. But it made no sense to watch the 1st halves. I actually started watching the games at halftime or even arriving to home games midway in the 2nd.

It was not worth watching. Especially in the cold, because we were just holding serve for 2 quarters. We didn't do anything but try to keep the clock moving.

The great part about having a terrible defense last year (Thank you Ken Norton!) was that we were forced to have to throw the ball more. We finally got decent football with 1st downs and TDs in the 1st half even. So we do have Norton to thank for enabling the change that led to Wilson threatening Pete. That led to our amazing offense this year.

Putting things in perspective, this is great football to watch because we are seeing incredible plays by Wilson, not just in the 4th...but the whole game. Amazing catches or even runs are happening in the 1st 2 quarters.

As fans we are getting football that is more enjoyable to watch. The defense is frustrating, sure. But nowhere near as frustrating as the years we spent watching the team repeatedly 3 and out plus punt for 2 halves.

This is better. By far. But there is no way a team with this DC wins a SB. That is not complaining, just observation.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Absolutely, 1st half play was painful to watch :pukeface:
We got tired of saying "second half team" after almost every game.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":268xoub7 said:
To be fair Soulfish a few years ago the games were basically unwatchable.

Certainly in the 1st half.

We were winning (at least in the regular season...we tended to not only get bounced after the wildcard games but blown completely out). So there was that.

But it was awful football to watch. Lots of grinding the clock down and I think we averaged less than a TD by the half - while all the while having an HOF caliber QB that was one of the top QBs in the league.

We won games, largely due to Wilson's 4th quarter heroics and tremendous work by the defense holding teams down in the 4th giving Wilson the chance to come from behind. But it made no sense to watch the 1st halves. I actually started watching the games at halftime or even arriving to home games midway in the 2nd.

It was not worth watching. Especially in the cold, because we were just holding serve for 2 quarters. We didn't do anything but try to keep the clock moving.

The great part about having a terrible defense last year (Thank you Ken Norton!) was that we were forced to have to throw the ball more. We finally got decent football with 1st downs and TDs in the 1st half even. So we do have Norton to thank for enabling the change that led to Wilson threatening Pete. That led to our amazing offense this year.

Putting things in perspective, this is great football to watch because we are seeing incredible plays by Wilson, not just in the 4th...but the whole game. Amazing catches or even runs are happening in the 1st 2 quarters.

As fans we are getting football that is more enjoyable to watch. The defense is frustrating, sure. But nowhere near as frustrating as the years we spent watching the team repeatedly 3 and out plus punt for 2 halves.

This is better. By far. But there is no way a team with this DC wins a SB. That is not complaining, just observation.

Agreed it was so ******** frustrating to watch the Seahawks offensive gameplan year after year do nothing for 2.5 quarters every game..and it was even more frustrating when you knew the talent was there to put up points but that was just not how Pete wanted to play football. The crazy thing is you almost wonder how much better the 2013-2015 teams would have been if Pete opened up the offense while still having that defensive talent on the field.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Aros":3vztok1u said:
Defense showed sparks. Played very, very good D for most of the game. Unfortunately they settled into soft/Prevent D at the end of the game when the backup came in and gave them 3 easy TDs.

Still, the Seahawks did what any good team does and that beats the team not as good as they are.

First quarter was the 9ers D flying around like their hair was on fire which made our offense look uncharastically "off".

But I knew it wouldn't take too long for adjustments to have their way. Russ to DK just might well be our magic elixer all the way to the Super Bowl right now. Lose our top two RBs? Who cares. Yes, it gets rougher when the weather turns in late November and Decemeber. We can't always count on these high passing games to be there in the winter. But still.

There's something magical watching this offense. I've been watching the NFL for 44 years now and I'm not quite sure I have ever seen anything as magical as Russell Wilson and what this offense is capable of week in and week out.

The weird thing about prevent D is you're supposed to give up the small plays inside to burn clock but prevent the TD, and instead they were able to get big passes and out of bounds and get the score...

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
You nailed it Zag.

We don't funnel guys to the middle and we don't protect the sidelines at the end of games and halves.

That is NOT prevent defense. It is some kind of ungodly zombie hybrid of it.

Prevent defense is supposed to FORCE A TEAM TO RUN CLOCK while avoiding giving up big plays.

We make it easy for teams to march up the field in under a minute because we do not protect the sideline. Teams can easily toss it to guys with large cushions on them, and get out of bounds while taking only seconds off the clock. Not only does the defense make it easy to get into the RZ quickly, it does not force teams to use timeouts to stop the clock.

Probably another consequence of having Norton as the DC.

mikeak

Reaction score
TwistedHusky for the win. I really can't express how important your point is for me as a fan

Yeah I watched it when they we're winning over the past few years, yes i enjoyed that they won, but I was not into to the same extent. It was bad football. Yes the goal is to win games, but it is ALSO to entertain. Seattle stopped doing that for a few years.

3 games ago I stood up in my living room shouting, screaming completely into it. During a year which sports has taken a very diminished role in my life I was as invested as ever in a Seahawks game. It was fun, it was exciting and it was just awesome.

Cardinals game I was disappointed, but while they gave it away they played fun football. Overall a good team that will learn from that loss I was totally ok with it

Entertaining while winning is the best brand of football and this 6-1 team is doing just that. Love it and hopefully Adams and Dunlap brings the D into the entertainment!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt about it. Guys wide open and hitting the sidelines over and over again. Gotta' force them inside a little.
Also, they got a huge break when Uncle Will didn't get down in bounds, though Russ let him know immediately.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
I was worried about this game. Last year's runner up, a tough divisional opponent. I was expecting a loss, or at least a nailbiter. Sure, we gave up a lot of points and yards in the end, but the game was firmly in control, and the offense was firing on all cylinders. You don't put 37 points on the board against any team unless you're a solid team.

For the naysayers and doom'n'gloomers, look at the stat sheet and tell me that if you were a fan of the 49ers, the main thought running through your head was how your team was torched by Metcalf with 161 yards and two touchdowns, and Wilson with another huge performance, no picks and four touchdowns. And even if your team had had a chance with all that garbage yardage and points in the fourth quarter, tell me you wouldn't have known Wilson would have come through with another touchdown in a minute and a half to seal a win if he needed to.

The defense isn't nearly what we got used to seeing with the historical Legion of Boom, but this offense is lightyears better. And if the defense comes together and starts playing how we need them too, this is easily another potential championship year.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3c99ls9m said:
The defense isn't nearly what we got used to seeing with the historical Legion of Boom, but this offense is lightyears better. And if the defense comes together and starts playing how we need them too, this is easily another potential championship year.

As it stands, the only teams that worry me are in the AFC. Pittsburgh and Kansas City. Nobody in the NFC has impressed me other than us. Tampa looked rough against New York and Chicago, and Vegas for three quarters. Green Bay got worked by the Vikings last week and Brees doesn't have an arm anymore. We're on the verge of being the most complete team in the conference when Adams and Dunlap suit up.

Fade

Reaction score
Aros":1iiddd7z said:
Defense showed sparks. Played very, very good D for most of the game. Unfortunately they settled into soft/Prevent D at the end of the game when the backup came in and gave them 3 easy TDs.

Still, the Seahawks did what any good team does and that beats the team not as good as they are.

First quarter was the 9ers D flying around like their hair was on fire which made our offense look uncharastically "off".

But I knew it wouldn't take too long for adjustments to have their way. Russ to DK just might well be our magic elixer all the way to the Super Bowl right now. Lose our top two RBs? Who cares. Yes, it gets rougher when the weather turns in late November and Decemeber. We can't always count on these high passing games to be there in the winter. But still.

There's something magical watching this offense. I've been watching the NFL for 44 years now and I'm not quite sure I have ever seen anything as magical as Russell Wilson and what this offense is capable of week in and week out.

You don't know the half of it.

Russell Wilson is the greatest deep ball thrower of all time, the best mover in the pocket of all time, the greatest 4th qtr QB of all time, the 2nd highest rated passer of all time, did it behind largely bad O-Lines and a coach focused on defense, which is sub-optimal for a QB looking to pad numbers. Safe to say he is one of the greatest passers of all-time. Now throw in his running, it isn't fair.

He competes with the Manning's, Marino's, & Bree's as a thrower. He competes with the Elway's, Young's, & Fran's as a runner.

Wilson is going to have 55,000 yards passing and over 7,000 yards rushing, easy, when it is all said and done. No other player has ever come close to that combo. Steve Young is his closest comp. skill set wise but he couldn't move in the pocket like Russ, chuck it deep like Russ, and have ice water in his veins like Russ in the 4th qtr.

Oh, and besides all of that. He wins at the highest clip in league history since entering the league, and plays his best football when the game is on the line.

I remember thinking about how hard it was going to be to replace Walt when he was at the end, knowing another guy like him wasn't going to be walking through that door anytime soon.

I feel that same thing with Wilson only 10x more amplified, and he's in the middle of his prime, no where near the end. :shock:

And Here comes DK! This guy is improving rapidly every week, and is looking like a top 5 WR. AND he's still only 22!

This is going to be some Montana to Rice BS, but only better. For the next 10 years! :snack: