2014 Seattle Mariners

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
CurryStopstheRuns":pycoz6ic said:
Smelly McUgly":pycoz6ic said:
I know Uncle Si will disagree, but this is really disappointing. If Cano were 28, that'd be one thing, but he's already 31. We have maybe two more years of peak Cano, if that, before he starts to decline. We sort of have to win now, and we were giving at bats to Justin Smoak in the middle of a playoff race. It's a real shame.

I just want to see Felix get to the playoffs for himself (and to get twenty wins even if pitcher wins are a stupid stat). You see how he's pitching in a virtual playoff game today. He deserves that much from this franchise.

First off, Felix is pitching against the Angels b squad today so let's not shoot our load to soon on today's performance. He is a top pitcher in the game and can do this to any teams a squad, but keep perspective here. Second, I believe the Mariners learned how to be a playoff team this season, but came up just short. A couple of offensive adjustments in the off season and I believe that Felix will get his playoff shot next season.

Helluva season.

I saw Pujols and Trout and Calhoun out there. The Ms are hitting against the Angels' B-squad pitchers, but let's not diminish what Felix is doing today.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Why can't we appreciate how much the M's have improved this year? This team has so much potential.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":2ah0cb25 said:
Why can't we appreciate how much the M's have improved this year? This team has so much potential.

I don't think "appreciate what they did" and "lament what they didn't accomplish" are a binary. I can do both, but the truth is that this team didn't make the playoffs, and at least giving yourself a chance in the tournament is paramount. I can take not winning a WS because of the high variance involved in short playoff series, but they need to make the playoffs, especially since Cano is going to go from "elite" to "solid" to "just above replacement in the next 4-5 years.

Furthermore, we saw the Mariners end with about the same record in 2007, gathered hope, and then saw them go 61-101 in 2008. Is this improvement also a mirage? I am guessing not so much because Seager is for real and Ackley probably is going to be solid in left, plus Austin Jackson is at least decent in center, and Elias and Paxton along with Felix look strong going forward. This isn't a mirage like 2007, so that gives me some hope for next year, but we must be wary...and our division will be really tough again, with Houston improving and Texas getting healthy.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Crizilla":38p7ymf2 said:
M's have no one to blame but themselves. The A's handed them the spot and M's responded by losing 2 out of 3 to the Astros and 3 out of 4 to the blue jays. Of course they opened the season with sweeping the Angels, and now it looks like they will end the season sweeping the Angels again.

Go seahawks

Yep.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3uo1k68p said:
CurryStopstheRuns":3uo1k68p said:
Smelly McUgly":3uo1k68p said:
I know Uncle Si will disagree, but this is really disappointing. If Cano were 28, that'd be one thing, but he's already 31. We have maybe two more years of peak Cano, if that, before he starts to decline. We sort of have to win now, and we were giving at bats to Justin Smoak in the middle of a playoff race. It's a real shame.

I just want to see Felix get to the playoffs for himself (and to get twenty wins even if pitcher wins are a stupid stat). You see how he's pitching in a virtual playoff game today. He deserves that much from this franchise.

First off, Felix is pitching against the Angels b squad today so let's not shoot our load to soon on today's performance. He is a top pitcher in the game and can do this to any teams a squad, but keep perspective here. Second, I believe the Mariners learned how to be a playoff team this season, but came up just short. A couple of offensive adjustments in the off season and I believe that Felix will get his playoff shot next season.

Helluva season.

I saw Pujols and Trout and Calhoun out there. The Ms are hitting against the Angels' B-squad pitchers, but let's not diminish what Felix is doing today.

You saw them for two at bats each. Settle down

m0ng0

Reaction score
A 16 game swing in the win column is not enough? I think some valuable lessons were learned this year and this core unit is going to grow and get even better, I think McClendon did a great job with this team and with a few more pieces on the offense (whether FA or homegrown) an absolutely sick pitching staff we are going to contend for the division next year. Sorry it was not enough for many of you but stick around.....better days are coming !

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":17ffdq5b said:

This was the playoffs really. I mean I understand the difference but this was a big step forward for the club.

Its a shame we were knocked out... And lits of what ifs out there. There will be disappointment sure but as you said, positive and negative can exist simultaneously here.

Some upgrades to come but thats for the winter.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1qqdk3xy said:
CurryStopstheRuns":1qqdk3xy said:
You saw them for two at bats each. Settle down .

So what you're telling me is that you still can't post without making sense and you're still here crapping up the Mariners thread.

The next time you post, say something sensible or maybe just cut off your computer instead.

I can't post without making sense? Well, I can't disagree with you there. Thank you for the compliment. Just because you are wrong and I am correct does not make what I say lack sense.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":3ay8rq5j said:
Smelly McUgly":3ay8rq5j said:
CurryStopstheRuns":3ay8rq5j said:
You saw them for two at bats each. Settle down .

So what you're telling me is that you still can't post without making sense and you're still here crapping up the Mariners thread.

The next time you post, say something sensible or maybe just cut off your computer instead.

I can't post without making sense? Well, I can't disagree with you there. Thank you for the compliment. Just because you are wrong and I am correct does not make what I say lack sense.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
m0ng0":1ebpkuiv said:
A 16 game swing in the win column is not enough? I think some valuable lessons were learned this year and this core unit is going to grow and get even better, I think McClendon did a great job with this team and with a few more pieces on the offense (whether FA or homegrown) an absolutely sick pitching staff we are going to contend for the division next year. Sorry it was not enough for many of you but stick around.....better days are coming !

There are a few offensive upgrades available via free agency. You have Hanley Ramirez at SS/3B, Billy Butler at 1B/DH (if the Royals decline his 12.5 million option), and either Melky Cabrera or Nelson Cruz for RF.

sutz

Reaction score
Well, I think that it's a harder process to turn a team around in baseball than in football with the absence of the salary cap and all, but I see progress this season. In some ways it reminds me of the Seahawks of a couple of years ago. They have a pretty good mix of vets and youth, a pretty good skipper on the field, and the FO is at least encouraging IMHO.

Many decry the slow progress, but that's the way you build for long term success, not just a one season wonder. I have hope for 2015 like I haven't felt in many years. If we can add a couple of good hitters without dumping too many of our promising young guys, we could be building something solid here. I like it.

I notice a similar affect as in the football world, where Fantasy Football afficionadoes have rather unrealistic expectations of how easy it is to build a team. Rotisserie Baseball has been around longer than FF, so I guess it's no surprise fans are so out of touch with how hard it can be. I think the M's have taken a big step forward and look forward to more.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
The strengths and weaknesses are apparent. Need to see some big moves in the offseason to land a quality bat or 2.
These guys had a good season and were relevant to the end and as frustrating as this offense was to watch most of the time, that's saying something.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":2tpdnn21 said:
Crizilla":2tpdnn21 said:
M's have no one to blame but themselves. The A's handed them the spot and M's responded by losing 2 out of 3 to the Astros and 3 out of 4 to the blue jays. Of course they opened the season with sweeping the Angels, and now it looks like they will end the season sweeping the Angels again.

Go seahawks

Yep.
And another "yep" from me. Just take 2 of 3 from the shitty Astros and split with the Jays and the Ms are in.

The team definitely exceeded my preseason expectations though. Hope it's something they're able to build on.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
McClendon said it best when he said competing in the MLB level would not be easy. M's just had a bad run of luck during those series. I bet that they'll come back next year with something to prove.

Been real M's fans. Looking forward to next year.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
This team had a great year and came up just short..They will be stronger next year from the experience of this year..The weak spots are known and I'm sure will be adressed..The one big thing is this thread,I hope it stays running..I see some Mariner fans like myself and thats cool..It's been fun reading and seeing new fans join in ..Next year should be a lot of fun with new hitters joining the ship and old ones like Smoak walking the plank..The pitching is awesome and we get Hultzen back ect..I'll see you all on here during FA/Trades ect..Go Hawks!!!

sutz

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind if we start a new thread for next year. But the team has been worth following this year and I'm hopeful going forward.