2014 Seattle Mariners

Hawker

Reaction score
Crizilla":2bt8ik0o said:
That was disappointing. I honestly expected for us to compete better down the stretch, but then again... I didn't. It was just a matter of time before our pitching would give out. They just cannot carry a team ...

We need to make serious moves in our line up though. Outside of Ackley, Jackson, Cano, and Seager. There's really nothing. I'll never forget that come back against the Red Sox, though....

I'd be fine keeping LoMo and Zunino in the lineup next year. Maybe Saunders too, if he looks healthy through Spring.

Too many guys (once again) just couldn't get it together offensively this season - looking at you, Kendrys, Smoak, Hart, and a couple others.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Thank FSM that baseball season ends as football season ramps up. Always makes the sting of another crappy Mariners season more tolerable.

See you next march Mariners! Thanks for the laughs!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":2uc2invl said:
Thank FSM that baseball season ends as football season ramps up. Always makes the sting of another crappy Mariners season more tolerable.

That was a crappy season eh?

Come on

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Uncle Si":umzqbdmk said:
Trenchbroom":umzqbdmk said:

Come on

By our fanbase's expectations: no. Because we weren't out of contention by the all star break like normal.

By any "top 10 in payroll team" fan's expectations? Yes, I would say that barely hanging on long enough to scrape the bottom edges of the 2nd wildcard spot, only to crash and burn as badly as we did down the stretch, is a pretty crappy season.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":145g0paq said:
Uncle Si":145g0paq said:
Trenchbroom":145g0paq said:

Come on

By our fanbase's expectations: no. Because we weren't out of contention by the all star break like normal.

By any "top 10 in payroll team" fan's expectations? Yes, I would say that barely hanging on long enough to scrape the bottom edges of the 2nd wildcard spot, only to crash and burn as badly as we did down the stretch, is a pretty crappy season.

Fair enough
You realize we are like 18th in payroll right?

For me...Happy with the vast improvement of our club. Crappy ending but a fun season to follow

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I'd say Smoak is FINALLY history as is Kendrys. As mentioned already, we need a decent hitting, good fielding everyday SS. I want a different closer though some may disagree with that. I just got tired of him hanging on by his fingernails for every damned save. I'd trade a couple more blown ones over the course of the year for a guy that usually gets a 3 up, 3 down save.

As Crizilla said, "we need to make serious moves in our line up though". I agree with him that Ackley, Jackson, Cano, and Seager are really the only hitters we can build upon. The problem is that Seattle has to overpay (Cano) to get stud hitters here. Anyone know who's gonna be out there that plays 1B or a corner outfield spot that might be available that can freakin' HIT?

m0ng0

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3bxepevv said:
Anyone know who's gonna be out there that plays 1B or a corner outfield spot that might be available that can freakin' HIT?

DJ Peterson perhaps?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
m0ng0":1v1c9niv said:
hawksfansinceday1":1v1c9niv said:
Anyone know who's gonna be out there that plays 1B or a corner outfield spot that might be available that can freakin' HIT?

DJ Peterson perhaps?

How's he been in minors?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2hqh000x said:
m0ng0":2hqh000x said:
hawksfansinceday1":2hqh000x said:

DJ Peterson perhaps?

How's he been in minors?
31 HR, 111 RBI, .297 BA. :th2thumbs:
I'd say everything we are looking for, only thing missing is the ML experience.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I'm not ready to give up on Chris Taylor at short yet. I want to see him get a full year as the starter to see how he holds up.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":22xlflz3 said:
I'd say Smoak is FINALLY history as is Kendrys. As mentioned already, we need a decent hitting, good fielding everyday SS. I want a different closer though some may disagree with that. I just got tired of him hanging on by his fingernails for every damned save. I'd trade a couple more blown ones over the course of the year for a guy that usually gets a 3 up, 3 down save.

As Crizilla said, "we need to make serious moves in our line up though". I agree with him that Ackley, Jackson, Cano, and Seager are really the only hitters we can build upon. The problem is that Seattle has to overpay (Cano) to get stud hitters here. Anyone know who's gonna be out there that plays 1B or a corner outfield spot that might be available that can freakin' HIT?

How can you leave Mike Zunino out?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":12vyga3f said:
Uncle Si":12vyga3f said:
m0ng0":12vyga3f said:
hawksfansinceday1":12vyga3f said:

DJ Peterson perhaps?

How's he been in minors?
31 HR, 111 RBI, .297 BA. :th2thumbs:
I'd say everything we are looking for, only thing missing is the ML experience.

Wow...is that triple A? I can see him getting a long look in Spring.

Note...still in this by the way

Nice thing about the team is the payroll is only about 92 mill...plenty of room to go and get 2 players if they choose.

m0ng0

Reaction score
No its A and AA ball, but he is starting to look like the real deal, they could go the Zunino route with him and just bring him up and let him swing. Quite honestly he can't be a worse option then whats playing 1st base at the moment.

KC won and Oakland lost, still in this!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
AA is where a lot of your best prospects are they get a little AAA and moved to the show if they're really good like this guy sounds like. He'll get a long look in spring training for sure.

Chapow

Reaction score
bigtrain21":2d76h2oj said:
hawksfansinceday1":2d76h2oj said:

I'm guessing it's because they were talking about hitters and as a hitter Zunino has a sub .200 BA and strikes out a little over 1 out of every 3 at bats. That's pretty damn bad.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Chapow":39tvquta said:
bigtrain21":39tvquta said:
hawksfansinceday1":39tvquta said:

I'm guessing it's because they were talking about hitters and as a hitter Zunino has a sub .200 BA and strikes out a little over 1 out of every 3 at bats. That's pretty damn bad.
It is but he has 22 homeruns. His plate discipline will get better once he stops chasing that curveball in the dirt and guess hitting, and once that happens the BA will be much higher.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
We have three needs IMO. A corner OF, DH and 1B. Taylor is ok as we have bigger holes now.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Chapow":bnv7shrx said:
bigtrain21":bnv7shrx said:
hawksfansinceday1":bnv7shrx said:

He's only 23 years old and was probably rushed to the majors.