2014 Seattle Mariners

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Tical21":2ldjg3fe said:
Uncle Si":2ldjg3fe said:
Tical21":2ldjg3fe said:
Gotta keep Montero, unless McClendon really wants to use him as an example, but that kind of thing isn't always well received in baseball. Our hitting prospect cupboard is quite bare again, and we need to hold onto any prospect with upside that have, because there aren't many.

We really need Kendrys. I'm terrified of what is going to surround Seager and Cano. Kendrys makes us pretty formidable in the middle, which we haven't been in about ten years. I don't like to pay free agents, but I think Kendrys is pretty safe, although somewhat redundant.

Agree on Kendry...would rather package Franklin for a pitcher or outfielder (and grab Santana) and bring morales in

Also...two teams actually played baseball today. One was Seattle. They beat the other 7-1. Living in Minnesota where the wind chill was -(that little mark over to the left means negative) 25 I find the thought of baseball bring played hopeful
I don't want to trade Franklin. I don't think we can afford to trade any upside player whatsoever, at least until we are completely sold that Miller is the guy. How stupid would it be to trade Franklin, watch him hit 20 homers every year, while we watch Brad Miller flame out and hit .220 with 4 HR's? I'll let them compete, and may the best man win the job. It isn't like we're going to get anything of value for Franklin. We're still in the position of needing to add to the young core, not add to the aging list of vets.

We have to commit to one and let the other go..unless Franklin can transition to the outfield. This team needs to compete soon and sitting on prospects doesn't help.

I like Franklin. I like him more than Smoak and Ackely. But he's also our most tradeable asset

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Tical doesn't want to miss on a possible prospect. I understand, but that's not reality. We have too many average middle infielders and no outfielders. TRADE EM ALL!

Tical21

Reaction score
My goal is to get to the World Series eventually, not win 84 right away. If you honestly think our team is good enough right now to unload all the bullets in our gun, then you trade Franklin. I don't think we're there. Heck, I don't even think we're anywhere close. Our #1 biggest need is young offensive talent. Pick one out of Miller and Franklin and go? Go where? Franklin has as much potential as just about anybody we've got. Not the kind of guy a young team that has been bad for a decade has the luxury of trading for a subpar outfielder or #4 pitcher.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Tical21":1km2rvys said:
My goal is to get to the World Series eventually, not win 84 right away. If you honestly think our team is good enough right now to unload all the bullets in our gun, then you trade Franklin. I don't think we're there. Heck, I don't even think we're anywhere close. Our #1 biggest need is young offensive talent. Pick one out of Miller and Franklin and go? Go where? Franklin has as much potential as just about anybody we've got. Not the kind of guy a young team that has been bad for a decade has the luxury of trading for a subpar outfielder or #4 pitcher.

Our number one biggest need is definitely not young talent. We've had loads of that for the last 4-5 years.

At some point you have to use that talent on the field or in bringing in other players. Franklin and Miller both play the same position (sort of, Franklins not really a ss)

You're advocating wasting another of Cano and Felixs prime years sitting on prospects. This team can't do it. Not anymore. Move Franklin to the outfield or package him for what you do need

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Atradees":dj57kynu said:
Did you all read Cano's comments regarding free agency? That's a rockin way to force hand!

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10541742/robinson-cano-says-seattle-mariners-need-extra-bat

love this guy already...
Just read that article. Love that he's not afraid to voice his opinion on what the team needs. Since the front office doesn't listen to the fanbase, maybe they'll listen to their new star when he says the team should sign Morales and Santana.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Howard ain't going to like that. That's the kind of talk that ushered Lou out the door a decade ago.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Trade Franklin for an outfielder, give Santana a bit of money.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
I'd wager that trading for A-Roid right now would get more fans in the seats than Robinson Cano OR Ervin Santana. Any chance we could get Pete Carroll and John Schneider to lecture the Mariners brass on creating a successful organization? :sarcasm_off:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Blitzer88":1v28xvu7 said:
Nice to see Cano speaking out. And he is right! The M's need another righty bat.
I
He's right but wrong for saying it... This isn't the NBA

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Ackley fixed it last year I believe. He was clearly doing something wrong mechanically and that was his hips were moving away from the plate when he was swinging. When he came back towards the end of the year that was fixed. I need to see him hit again this year to see if it was just an accidental fix or they definitely figured it out since I have never seen it mentioned by anyone but myself but I have high hopes for him as long as that is fixed.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
bigtrain21":3n44y9ev said:
Ackley fixed it last year I believe. He was clearly doing something wrong mechanically and that was his hips were moving away from the plate when he was swinging. When he came back towards the end of the year that was fixed. I need to see him hit again this year to see if it was just an accidental fix or they definitely figured it out since I have never seen it mentioned by anyone but myself but I have high hopes for him as long as that is fixed.

Very good point, he had a nice end to the year.

Been a good start to the spring. Only Ramirez has disappointed thus far. Almonte looks the part in the field. needs to start hitting. but in all honesty i'm fine having a "Brendan Ryan" patrolling the deep shadows of Safeco

mbtitleist

Reaction score
bigtrain21":1knrppxn said:

I'm (cautiosly) optimistic about Ackley. Last year he was screwed if the pitcher threw anything on the outer half of the plate. I know it's only spring training but I'd much rather he be off to the start he currently has opposed to looking like crap.