2012-2014 preseason +16 point differential 2015-2019 +3

Tokadub

Reaction score
I know a lot of people don't think preseason matters, but when it comes to the Seahawks I kind of disagree. Something about Pete Carroll's coaching style I think you can determine a lot about where the team is at as a whole even just based on preseason games.

If Pete's team is ready to make a run for the Superbowl it seems to translate in the preseason. Everyone is fired up, everyone knows what to do. They compete plain and simple. From 2012-2014 it seemed like all the players were well coached and fully prepared even in the preseason. This showed the amount of depth we had as well those years.

I decided to quickly compare the preseasons from 2012-2014 (which I think were by far our best seasons that we arguably could of won 3 Super Bowls), to 2015-2019 which I was hopeful but it just didn't feel quite the same.

Seahawks record 2012-2014:
10-2 (83%)

Seahawks record 2015-2019:
12-8 (60%)

Seahawks points per game 2012-2014:
29.5 ppg

Seahawks points per game 2015-2019:
21 ppg

Seahawks point differential 2012-2014:
+16 point differential

Seahawks point differential 2015-2019:
+2.85 point differential

This is just a summary of the averages, but for some reason it really seems like Pete Carroll teams should be dominant even in the preseason if the team is ready to have a chance to win it all. This is just my opinion maybe I'm crazy, more of a gut feeling type of thing.

I'm hoping we see a much stronger next 3 games.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
Oh I guess it's worth mentioning...

We went 4-0, averaged 27.5 points per game, and had an +18.5 point differential in 2013 when we won the Super Bowl.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
2008 Lions, 2017 Browns. Both went 4-0 in the pre-season, only to go 0-16 in the regular season.

Pre-season scores mean NOTHING. But I'm sure you'll blame Russ, or Ciera, or Pete......... :?
And, there is only 2 more pre-season games, not 3.

flv

Reaction score
Preseason points differential doesn't matter, results don't matter, (and quite surprisingly), awful preseason performances by borderline talents don't matter if the positional coach has seen something in the player behind closed doors and unseen by the public.

In 2018 the Rams drafted a 6th round T. Basically he stank and was cut. Another team claimed him and later cut him. The Rams re-signed him at the end of the year. Come 2019 he was thought to be an outsider to make the team. Out of nowhere came a team fluff article calling him 'a critical piece' on the OL. He played in all 4 preseason games and in each game he was rated as the worst player on the field by PFF. No only did the Rams keep him but when we had an injury he was the 1st man of the bench...and yes! He was rated the worst player on the field that day as well, and also in the future games that he played. SMH.

I've seen players have great preseason games and get cut. What fans see in a preseason game is merely a snapshot photograph version of NFL reality. Sometimes it's accurate. Sometimes you get fooled. Sometime coaches are fooled. Preseason games are best thought of as escapist fun for fans. Enjoy them for what they are.

94Smith

Reaction score
It is likely that he played Russ when he was younger in preseason and that translated into more wins. I think if you did a long term study on preseason wins and season success there would be little correlation.

94Smith

Reaction score
94Smith":2h61jv3c said:
It is likely that he played Russ more when he was younger in preseason and that translated into more wins. I think if you did a long term study on preseason wins and season success there would be little correlation.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Any historic perspective on pre-season is meaningless right now, because the trend has swung so far away from playing anyone at all. I think 2020 showed a lot of coaches that vets really don't need to play at all in August. This is the time for young guys to get a shot -- which is kind of entertaining to watch but I'm not going to draw many conclusions from it.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The 3 game pre-season is going to really mess up those numbers.

The 2012-2013 teams were really effing young and still trying to find their way. Wilson played a ton of football in the 2012 and 2013 preseasons. Not so much afterward.

JGreen79

Reaction score
The one season Russell Wilson didn't make the playoffs, Seattle had a +101 point differential in the preseason.