1st Round, Pick #31, Germain ifedi, Tackle, Texas A&M

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
The only pick that matters is who the front office picked. They don't go by anyone's else board. They pick players who will fit in their system. JS has said many times that after the new contract that Baldwin got they were going to look at players with that competitiveness and mentality. Germain has a skillset playing with mobile QBs, and play two positions on the line. What is there not to like, he has the traits that the FO likes. Shouldn't we be happy that we are actually taking an Olineman rather than some defensive guy that would take a few years to coach up.

To me it doesn't matter too much where they are taken in the draft, I want to see how well they do in preseason and if they are still on the team when it comes down to the 53. There are still 9 more picks to be had and hope we get a few late round gems, JS said this was a deep draft probably the best they have seen.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mikeak":3ea4ixn5 said:
One thing to note. The LAST pick in the third round is kind of like a fourth round pick...

So let's not generalize and just say third round is great value. It is basically an early fourth round

That's not the only thing picks are good for, picking. If Pete and John have shown us anything, it's that they covet as many picks as possible because they know it's currency and value.

The only reason we were able to trade up so high last year to get Lockett is BECAUSE we traded back to get more picks, of which we used to trade up.

So in a vacuum a late 3rd rounder isn't that big of a deal. But as I said it's more than that.

gabel

Reaction score
Well this pick is starting to bother me. When you watch the presser of with John and Pete without saying they admit that this would not have been there pick at 26. I believe there were DT on the board at 26 that they licked better than Germain. Sometimes it's not always a good idea to trade down.

After watching his tape Germain Ifedi reminds me of James Carpenter (and to a less degree Justin Britt), a big super strong mauler who was good enough to play Right Tackle at college but is too slow to play anything but guard in the pros. This is the type of player that Tom Cable loves. According to Tom his issues are easily fixed. A lot of number picks came from the Texas A & M offensive line in resent years so I don't think you can write his play off to poor coaching.

Hope I'm wrong.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I view it as an extra third rounder although it doesn't really matter its within a 30 pick window where they can get a very good player and they know that. I think it was a steal from Seattle's end and maybe it works out well for Denver as well.

I think Dallas was offering a 4th and not a third which is being reported today.

Largent80

Reaction score
Everyone forgets how many starters we have on this team that were UDFA.

After viewing our O-Line last year how in the world could you NOT LIKE this pick?, it blows my mind.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
gabel":x150xwv1 said:
According to Tom his issues are easily fixed. A lot of number picks came from the Texas A & M offensive line in resent years so I don't think you can write his play off to poor coaching.

Hope I'm wrong.

It's not poor coaching, it's different coaching............and it's what EVERY team in the league is dealing with right now with these O-lineman. The spread offense is killing the development of college offensive lineman.

That's what Cable and all the critics of Ifedi are referring to. Other than the top 2-3 lineman coming from colleges like Alabama where they run a pro style, these guys are going to be raw.

But that doesn't mean Ifedi wasn't worthy of the #31 pick, AND we got a 3rd round pick? That's a win win for me. Filling a BIG need, and getting another pick.

btw, the other two DT's on the board were awful pass rushers, basically one dimensional run defenders. So for the people saying we reached on Ifedi? THe only other option was to trade down again, and risk getting even lesser tackles later in the draft than Ifedi.

AgentDib

Reaction score
gabel":1iv30sva said:
After watching his tape Germain Ifedi reminds me of James Carpenter (and to a less degree Justin Britt), a big super strong mauler who was good enough to play Right Tackle at college but is too slow to play anything but guard in the pros. Hope I'm wrong.
Just FYI, Carpenter was a LT in college who was considered to have good technique but not enough athleticism to deal with edge rushers hence the projected switch to RT. His passion was also questioned.

Ifedi is much larger and more athletic but with raw technique that needs development. Ifedi's combine performance helped him a lot given his size and frame. He's also considered a high effort guy who plays very physical.

Very different prospects.

McGruff

Reaction score
gabel":1qp548pg said:
Well this pick is starting to bother me. When you watch the presser of with John and Pete without saying they admit that this would not have been there pick at 26. I believe there were DT on the board at 26 that they licked better than Germain. Sometimes it's not always a good idea to trade down.

After watching his tape Germain Ifedi reminds me of James Carpenter (and to a less degree Justin Britt), a big super strong mauler who was good enough to play Right Tackle at college but is too slow to play anything but guard in the pros. This is the type of player that Tom Cable loves. According to Tom his issues are easily fixed. A lot of number picks came from the Texas A & M offensive line in resent years so I don't think you can write his play off to poor coaching.

Hope I'm wrong.

Wow. I could not disagree more. Ifedi is the opposite of slow. He is quick out of his stance. Perhaps the quickest I've seen. He's got nimble feet, but he needs to learn how to move them while still keeping a wide base. He's way more athletic than Carp ND carries his weight exceptionally well. He's never had conditioning issues and his on field effort is top notch.

I think you are wrong. But we both get to wait and see.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
From what I've read so far he seemed like the team he really wanted to play for was the Seahawks. To trade down, get value and get a guy who wants and is excited to play for your team, that's very exciting.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
McGruff":1bmcesc8 said:
gabel":1bmcesc8 said:

Hope I'm wrong.

Wow. I could not disagree more. Ifedi is the opposite of slow. He is quick out of his stance. Perhaps the quickest I've seen. He's got nimble feet, but he needs to learn how to move them while still keeping a wide base. He's way more athletic than Carp ND carries his weight exceptionally well. He's never had conditioning issues and his on field effort is top notch.

I think you are wrong. But we both get to wait and see.

Textbook counter argument there McGruff, no subtle insults or jibes, just keeping it real.

[youtube]hilzRYECK24[/youtube]

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
It must make a player feel good when a team moves up to get them.

I wonder how Ifedi feels knowing we moved down to snag him. :3-1:

kidhawk

Reaction score
Gotta say I'm pretty happy with the day overall. I wanted someone to help solidify our offensive line for the next few years, and I think this guy can do that. Whether he has what it takes to succeed at tackle or if he ends up moving in at Guard, I believe he'll be able to make our line better than it has been. I'm was also very happy to see we were able to add a third round selection in this very deep draft. That gives us some ammo to do a lot of different things, and with the depth of this draft, that is a definite bonus.

With that said, the fact that we haven't done as well as I'd like in the recent past at picking up Offensive line talent worries me some, but I'm going to bury that feeling until I can see this guy on the field this fall.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":3hnf3qjq said:
It must make a player feel good when a team moves up to get them.

I wonder how Ifedi feels knowing we moved down to snag him. :3-1:

For a guy who most people projected to be a 2nd round pick, I'd imagine it felt pretty damn good to go in the first round...........and to a great team like the Hawks.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
themunn":3onsuid3 said:
vonstout":3onsuid3 said:
Look at the trade value chart (Harvard):

Pick 26 is worth 700

Pick 31 and 94 : 600 + 124

Pick 34 and 67 : 560 + 255

It's not even close. The Browns and Titans pick before Dallas and it's unlikely that either would have taken Ifedi and we would have moved up from 94 to 67 in the third round.

Trade value chart is garbage.

Would you rather have the 1st overall pick (3,000) or the 31st (620), 32nd (600), 33rd (590), 34th (580) and 35th (560) picks (total 2,950)?

But it's 91 more rupee points!

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Largent80":c4rfk0q9 said:
Everyone forgets how many starters we have on this team that were UDFA.

After viewing our O-Line last year how in the world could you NOT LIKE this pick?, it blows my mind.

This. And lower round starters.

Baldwin UDFA
Kearse UDFA
Bennett originally UDFA came back as FA
Rawls- Assuming he is starting RB going forward, did great before injury
Gilliam UDFA- Looks to be a solid starter at LT this year?

Kam 5th round
Sherman 5th round
Lane 6th round

Probably forgetting a few guys but those are all pretty huge for our team

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Largent80":2ync145e said:
MontanaHawk05":2ync145e said:
JSeahawks":2ync145e said:
Basis4day":2ync145e said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/725881904830943232[/tweet]

A 3rd is pretty good for 5 spots at this point.

You won't be saying that when an offensive tackle gets taken.

I can see it now: "That third rounder cost us our big chance to upgrade the OL. Yay for more UDFA scrubs for Cable to train up."

OOPS

Meant to say "if". ;)

Great pick.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
austinslater25":2x8gwilx said:
I view it as an extra third rounder although it doesn't really matter its within a 30 pick window where they can get a very good player and they know that. I think it was a steal from Seattle's end and maybe it works out well for Denver as well.

I think Dallas was offering a 4th and not a third which is being reported today.

Dallas offering a 4th would make WAY more sense considering their 4th was super early and only a few spots away from what we got

McGruff

Reaction score
Three additional observations . . .

First, Ifedi is 21 years old. Not not does he possess freakish athletic ability for a young man, he has his degree. At 21 years old. That says a lot to me about his intelligence and character.

Second, ,following on the first, the guy who first recommended dedicated Ifedi to John was not a coach or trainer. It was Kansas' academic advisor who had previously worked at A&M. Having worked with players from Two colleges the one player he recommended was Ifedi. The academic advisor. A guy whose job is character and intelligence.

Third, in his interviews he comes across as thoughtful, intelligent and passionate about improving through competition and ready to learn.

Put is together. This guy not only as physical traits, he's got the mental and emotional makeup to learn and work at his craft.

253hawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/whoisjoserivera/status/726100810153615364[/tweet]