1st Round, Pick #31, Germain ifedi, Tackle, Texas A&M

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2zf4j1tq said:
Basis4day":2zf4j1tq said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/725881904830943232[/tweet]

A 3rd is pretty good for 5 spots at this point.
It's Denver's though, so it's 31 in the 3rd. But still a good deal. YOU ROCK, SCHNIED! GO HAWKS!

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":9nddh2nx said:
vonstout":9nddh2nx said:
mikeak":9nddh2nx said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/725910509971591169[/tweet]

If we could have had Dallas' 2nd and 3rd (4th pick in the second and the third), I would have preferred that. Ifedi may not have made it 4 picks down, so that would have been a risky move, but we would have been picking early in the 3rth instead of late.

We wouldn't have had a 1st round pick then?? Denver's deal was much better.

I agree....a "no brainer"!

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":3adk22y9 said:
Own The West":3adk22y9 said:
Perhaps we could have traded the 26th pick for 27th through 30th and then everyone on this board could be happy for once.

I'll take Ifedi and a 3rd though. That's good enough for me.

Arizona is the division champion, they got a better player than us that is going to compete against the player we drafted and kill him, we got worse today relatively, we didn't have to do that. This may change if we hit on the 1/100 odds that are a 3rd round pick but I think we'd been better off taking a sure thing.
Russell Wilson was a third, Sherman was a fifth. Quit talkin out yo ass, boy.

sutz

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":ziyq44li said:
Not only did we stay in the first round with that pick, this:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SheilKapadia/status/725911697278423042[/tweet]
Makes sense. Later 1st is relatively cheap pay slot, with the 5th yr option. Probably a lot of teams would like to pick there.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
sutz":aqd34yo5 said:
Seahawk Sailor":aqd34yo5 said:
Not only did we stay in the first round with that pick, this:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SheilKapadia/status/725911697278423042[/tweet]
Makes sense. Later 1st is relatively cheap pay slot, with the 5th yr option. Probably a lot of teams would like to pick there.
Absolutely. If this kid can lock down the RT spot and we get him for 5 affordable years, great move.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
The guys on 710 were looking at some draft value board and said we got more value by 24 points in the trade. I think Denver was operating out of desperation a bit. They also said AZ was trying to make the same deal and JS beat them. The trade alone makes this a great pick. I think they would've taken him anyway at 26, Schneid just got a fricken 3rd rounder by moving down and taking the same guy they were gonna take anyway. Now Schneid has another 3rd rounder to work with. You rock, Shnide!

mikeak

Reaction score
vonstout":2hndc6yu said:
mikeak":2hndc6yu said:

If we could have had Dallas' 2nd and 3rd (4th pick in the second and the third), I would have preferred that. Ifedi may not have made it 4 picks down, so that would have been a risky move, but we would have been picking early in the 3rth instead of late.

Obviously a 2nd and 3rd early is better than a late 3rd which tells me the team had one or a few players clearly worth more than what was next on the board. They were clearly not willing to move down from those which I interpret as they got who they wanted plus another pick.

Hoping we all love the decision in 6 months!!

Tical21

Reaction score
Nkemdiche was probably never a realistic possibility on the Hawks board. They refuse to take anybody that doesn't have love for football oozing out their pores. Character concerns are okay, as long as they love to compete and play football deep in their heart.

Ifedli looks pretty good. Plays a little high, gives a little too much ground in pass protection. The latter can probably be fixed pretty easily. Playing so high looks to hurt him a bit in the run game, as he does more dancing than punishing. I didn't see a lot of tape of him in the run game though. Feet can be pretty heavy when he gets off his base, which looks like it can be helped by losing 10-15 lbs. Besides that, he's definitely got some raw strength and athleticism, and can really collapse a DT on a down block. His athleticism and reach really seem to help him against speed rushers. I know a bunch of people are penciling him as a guard, but I don't really see that, I just think he plays too high to move DT's.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I'm with kearly.

I love that they didn't go with a "too cute" selection here. I think the need on OL was more pressing, and I was a bit discouraged to see so many media types mocking a DL for Seattle. The addition of the 3rd makes this a homerun to me. Who knows if he'll work out -- so few do, especially in this portion of the draft -- but I like the approach this time. Haven't seen a lot of him, but he's long and he uses it, which is a very positive indicator.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
mikeak":1vd64ym8 said:
vonstout":1vd64ym8 said:
mikeak":1vd64ym8 said:

Obviously a 2nd and 3rd early is better than a late 3rd which tells me the team had one or a few players clearly worth more than what was next on the board. They were clearly not willing to move down from those which I interpret as they got who they wanted plus another pick.

A 2nd and a 3rd early aren't necessarily worth a 1st and a 3rd late. We still gotta count that 1st round pick. We moved down only five slots to pick up that third. What would any other team have given us to equal that without falling a ton more slots?

Laloosh

Reaction score
mikeak":hqtxzyjg said:
vonstout":hqtxzyjg said:
mikeak":hqtxzyjg said:

How is a 2nd and 3rd of any kind better than keeping a first and getting an extra 3rd? Am I just tired and missing the obvious? 1st and 3rd > 2nd and 3rd, no?

dogorama

Reaction score
Good move all the way around. I was afraid we might lose him when we traded but apparently staff knew where the other teams were likely to pick.

Feel bad for Myles Jack, wasn't he at the draft? All dressed up and no place to go. Life sucks like that sometimes.

jhern87

Reaction score
I love this pick because it sounds like Cable really likes him. Would love to get a big time DT in the 2nd and see us continue to add to the OL in the later rounds.. Go Hawks!

jhern87

Reaction score
dogorama":1h9bd3nu said:
Good move all the way around. I was afraid we might lose him when we traded but apparently staff knew where the other teams were likely to pick.

Feel bad for Myles Jack, wasn't he at the draft? All dressed up and no place to go. Life sucks like that sometimes.

If it's true that 2/3 of the league took him off their draft boards then that's on his agent. Those knees must be shot.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":1xlf2bjy said:
We needed him but I can't get excited at all for this, passed up myles jack and gave arizona Nkemdiche we are going to regret this for a decade.

Probably the dumbest and funniest post I've read all week.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
Laloosh":1ky5fk7r said:
mikeak":1ky5fk7r said:
vonstout":1ky5fk7r said:
mikeak":1ky5fk7r said:

How is a 2nd and 3rd of any kind better than keeping a first and getting an extra 3rd? Am I just tired and missing the obvious? 1st and 3rd > 2nd and 3rd, no?

I had the same reaction: Why didn't we - wait, Dallas, first, wait, must have been an OT we wanted and didn't want to risk AND it is better to toss a pick to AFC so we can dismantle Denver in 2022.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Tical21":vsuiwdig said:
Nkemdiche was probably never a realistic possibility on the Hawks board. They refuse to take anybody that doesn't have love for football oozing out their pores. Character concerns are okay, as long as they love to compete and play football deep in their heart.

Ifedli looks pretty good. Plays a little high, gives a little too much ground in pass protection. The latter can probably be fixed pretty easily. Playing so high looks to hurt him a bit in the run game, as he does more dancing than punishing. I didn't see a lot of tape of him in the run game though. Feet can be pretty heavy when he gets off his base, which looks like it can be helped by losing 10-15 lbs. Besides that, he's definitely got some raw strength and athleticism, and can really collapse a DT on a down block. His athleticism and reach really seem to help him against speed rushers. I know a bunch of people are penciling him as a guard, but I don't really see that, I just think he plays too high to move DT's.
And he has to buy into PC's unorthodox system and be PC-coachable, not to mention have the right moves for the ZB scheme.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":cxfjg2ke said:
mikeak":cxfjg2ke said:
vonstout":cxfjg2ke said:
mikeak":cxfjg2ke said:

A 2nd and a 3rd early aren't necessarily worth a 1st and a 3rd late. We still gotta count that 1st round pick. We moved down only five slots to pick up that third. What would any other team have given us to equal that without falling a ton more slots?
The actual value of these pick can be quantified by "draft value rating".

Latest posts