1st Round - 27th pick Jordyn Brooks LB Texas Tech

Uncle Si

Reaction score
HawksSoc":pqb16jlg said:
Uncle Si":pqb16jlg said:
HawksSoc":pqb16jlg said:
I'm fine with an LB pick, I just wish they had prioritised someone who can cover. In 2020 you want your LBs to be Deion Jones, not a 2 down thumper. Though he can rush the passer apparently which is something.

Ran a 4.4..

Speed doesn't equate to being good in coverage though?

How do you know he can't cover? I'm just catching up on who he is.

He's got the speed to.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3qdyu9wq said:
HawksSoc":3qdyu9wq said:
Uncle Si":3qdyu9wq said:
HawksSoc":3qdyu9wq said:
I'm fine with an LB pick, I just wish they had prioritised someone who can cover. In 2020 you want your LBs to be Deion Jones, not a 2 down thumper. Though he can rush the passer apparently which is something.

Ran a 4.4..

Speed doesn't equate to being good in coverage though?

How do you know he can't cover? I'm just catching up on who he is.

He's got the speed to.
Yes please expand or is this just information from a journalist that didn't explain as well?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
HawksSoc":149tr5ii said:

To take the opposite point of view:

Offenses are becoming more predicated on sweeps and lateral movement. Having a guy that plays very effectively downhill with speed can take a lot of that lateral threat away (sweeps, tosses, screens) and help take a dimension away from an opposing offense.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2020-nfl ... inebackers

PFF LOVES Brooks.

BEST RUN DEFENDER: JORDYN BROOKS, TEXAS TECH
Honorable Mention: Logan Wilson, Wyoming & Joe Bachie, Michigan State
Brooks takes on blocks with a recklessness you can’t coach. The physical aspect of the game comes easily to the Texas Tech linebacker. He also has good length for a 6-foot linebacker with 32 ⅞-inch arms that make taking on blocks easier. Brooks finished 2019 with a ridiculous 91.5 run-defense grade.

Just one of the two superlatives he won (Best Run Defender and Best Tackler.) Was an honorable mention for "Most Fun To Watch."

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Jville":22wm4yxg said:
Maelstrom787":22wm4yxg said:
Takeaways from Schneider speaking about Jordyn:

- Says they took the best player available on the board, period. Had Jordyn rated as best player available.
- Notes that in 2018 he played as a rover, in 2019 played inside, developed well strength and conditioning wise
- His ability to transition between inside and outside without missing a beat was a determining factor in his selection
- Production off charts, see him similar to Bobby in that he's always involved
- They had a trade set up at 27 that fell through, or at least very advanced discussions. Was surprised GB leapt in front of them, surprised at lack of trades, was talking to Gutekunst of GB, GB "got a better deal" at 26 and went with that trade instead
- Philosophy was to get players that could come in and "Act like pros right away," said Brooks is that guy, notes staff was unanimous in support for pick including Norton, will figure out a way to get him on the field, notes his prowess on shooting through A-Gap

Takeaways from Carroll on Jordyn:

- Carroll notes his versatility between OLB and ILB, says he could play either position. Notes his experience spying QB.
- Says he has a good chance to fight for playing time out of the gate
- Love his personality, referred to him having a chip on his shoulder and embracing competition
- Says they got faster with addition of Brooks
- What stood out in interview at combine? "Strong communicator, tough, hard-nosed work-ethic type of guy"
- Jordyn was homeless at one point. Admire his perseverance.
- Notes that he feels Jordyn's skillset was more highlighted in 2019 at ILB with increased responsibility, but again versatility is a big determining factor
- "He could play outside at Mychal Kendrick's spot," love how he comes downhill, fits with Barton and KJ in that both can play inside and outside
- Says if you watch film, Bobby and KJ are both versatile inside out guys, Brooks is same way, want to give him freedom to play fast and aggressively, want to position him to excel early
- Free Agency allowed them to take BPA, which again was Brooks on their board. Board fell pretty much exactly as they expected.
- Very confident in choice due to his sustained production throughout college career in different systems
- "Blew us away" in interview. Notes that him performing young was very impressive and shows his leadership qualities, says he's "ready to kick ass"
- Notes his attitude fits exactly with the team
- Said Danny O'Neil almost nailed the draft clues, said he got real close

Nice transcription :2thumbs: Thanks for putting in the work.

I'll add the periscope link to the John & Pete debriefing on the Jordyn pick for everyone's listening pleasure >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.pscp.tv/Seahawks/1ynJOpRaEvVxR[/urltargetblank]

Thanks man. Biggest things I took away from this is:

1. They wanted that trade back, basically confirming they were ready to go with Green Bay before Green Bay pulled out and went with 26 instead. Makes sense - Ravens were locked on Queen at 28, no one else really in the market for LB there. Trading down anywhere before 33 where the Bengals sit with a huge need at LB and Brooks a scheme fit would have been ideal.

2. Jordyn Brooks was truly their target. 1A. Went so far as to actively hide their interest in him. This brings up an interesting point for day 2: They, very suspiciously, stayed completely clear of the offensive tackles on their visits. Perhaps they have a target there, maybe Matt Peart, Prince Tega Wanogho, or Lucas Niang... and just didn't want to tip their hand.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
DJrmb":3d5j98a9 said:
Stumbled across this interesting article that had Brooks as a potential 1st round pick despite the lack of mock drafts having him there:

Jordyn Brooks, LB, Texas Tech

There has been some chatter about his medicals, and his shoulder in particular, after a labrum repair by the Dallas Cowboys' surgeon back in December. There should be more clarity on his current situation coming from that surgeon this week, I'm told. Still, this kid ran a 4.4 in the 40-yard dash for scouts just 10 days after being cleared to run … without the ability to train normally before that. Sick athletic traits. My pal Bobby DePaul, who has 25 years of NFL experience in personnel, was kind enough to break down this entire linebacker class on film for me. If not for the medical concern, he would have Brooks as the second-best stack LB in the entire draft. Some other evaluators I trust also have a first-round grade on him, ahead of Kenneth Murray in some cases. DePaul's synopsis on Brooks: "Athlete, 3 downs, play speed and close, blitz/space production, Wagner." Yeah, that Wagner is Bobby Wagner, DePaul's high-end comp for Brooks. He has the speed teams so covet in this spot with nickel the new base.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-be-picked-in-round-1-despite-a-lack-of-buzz/
Oh man I hate this part (bold)
On one of those highlight plays I thought his shoulder was bothering
him.
I hope he rehabs hard and is ready to go this year.I love the sideline
to sideline speed.I think he is a solid pick but that injury is a downer.

massari

Reaction score
I like that they picked who they believe is the best player available, opposed to drafting a lesser talent because of prioritized needs.

Sucks they couldn't trade down though.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1w4yv5iv said:
I love it when folks get butthurt when their pet picks don’t get picked.
It will be funnier the next 2 days.
It’s great entertainment.

I love when people gush over JS and Petes drafting ability when they havent had a half decent one since 2015. With this 1st round pick, who will have little to no impact this year, the trend seems to continue. Brooks might set us up for the future, but they should be drafting to win now. LB is a recognized need, but there are other positions that require more attention at the present.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Just watched two games he was in... not overly impressed by him. One being Texas Tech vs. Ole Miss in 2018 and the other being 2019 Oklahoma vs. Texas.

The first thing that stands out about him is he looks very fast. Pete loves his SPARQ players, and Jordyn Brooks looks every bit as fast as his combine suggests, maybe even faster.

After I was over looking at his speed the second thing that struck me is the guy is VERY raw. His technique is rough and he is very reliant on his speed to bail him out of bad situations. His coverage was his weakest part of his game by far. I understand why it was emphasized in scouting reports. He's going to be a straight up liability there. In those two games he got exploited badly in coverage. At this point he is a two down linebacker, I really don't want to see him on the field in passing situations.

Brooks also has a nasty tendency to over pursue and put himself in bad situations. He is usually able to recover but I suspect that is going to bite him in the NFL. I also noticed that he got washed out in a lot of plays by blockers or straight up ran himself out of the play.

What are the good might you ask? He aggressive and he has good instincts against the run. He could be good at stuffing the run with refinement. His problem is going to be over-committing and taking himself out of the play -- not the analysis of the play itself.

Overall? He's not going to be a difference maker from day one. Brooks is very rough as a player and in coverage he is going to be a huge vulnerability there from day one. I suspect his primary job will be to shutdown those outside runs and set the edge. It's clear to me they took Brooks for who they thought he could become rather than the player he was at the moment. He has good instincts but he really needs to be reigned in by the coaching staff. He's a two down linebacker at this point.

As far as value goes I feel he definitely is a reach. Queen is definitely the superior player at this point in time in just about every metric. I don't think Brooks is going to light the world on fire on day 1, especially with the covid thing going on. Who knows what training camps are going to look like. I can understand WHY they wanted a fast linebacker, though I'm not quite sure where he fits in with the team seeing as his primary role in college was ILB. My guess is he's going to be brought in during running downs to set the edge like I said earlier. I could see him having success in that role, but don't expect him to be a rookie Tatupu or rookie Bobby Wagner. He's going to be a limited role player at this point in time.

It is what it is he looks like an extremely raw project player with above average instincts. I could see him become a good player in the future but it may take a year or two until he gets it. I certainly understand why pundits called him a late second, early third rounder. He's a blank slate sort of player with above average instincts.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
The Seahawks always sucks at their first rounder. But who knows really. They got lucky drafting Metcalf last year. They saw he went so far down they were like what the heck. Let’s see. If they didn’t have so many picks last year in no way they would have drafted metcalf. They haven’t been good since McCloughan stopped giving them his player grades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":13tyoanx said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/EricKellyTV/status/1173091837281619971[/tweet]
Cool, he holds teammates accountable for stupid crap.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3j2edc7v said:
Sports Hernia":3j2edc7v said:

I love when people gush over JS and Petes drafting ability when they havent had a half decent one since 2015. With this 1st round pick, who will have little to no impact this year, the trend seems to continue. Brooks might set us up for the future, but they should be drafting to win now. LB is a recognized need, but there are other positions that require more attention at the present.
You’re right Metcalf, Lockett, Dissly, Carson etc etc have been abysmal failures, what was I thinking? :roll:

They missed on Collier, McDowell, T2, Flowers etc etc. I didn’t like any of those picks.

But I waited until they got on the field and watched them sink or swim before I declared the sky was falling and the player or draft was a bust.

Yes they get too cute at times, and sometimes are a little too confident in their ability
to find diamonds in the rough especially during the first 2 rounds.

Every GM misses on early picks and picks in general. Billycheat, Lynch, Jerruh, Schneider, everyone!
They all miss. No one bats 1000, there are bad picks even in the best drafts.

My only concern with the pick was the shoulder issues I hope they had a thorough medical report on the shoulder.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
ith the 27th pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, the Seattle Seahawks select linebacker Jordyn Brooks, Texas Tech.

The Seahawks have secured TDN’s ninth-rated linebacker and 107th-overall player available in this year’s draft.

Seattle continues to march to the beat of its own drum, picking players in the first round that don’t appear to be on the radar for that range of the draft, and Brooks is the latest example.

Brooks was a tackling-machine in college and has ideal size and speed while playing a physical brand of football. But his coverage ability and tackling skills leave much to be desired; they are critical factors for today’s second-level defenders. ...

At a minimum, Brooks should be an early-down linebacker and special teams ace, but his ability to develop his passing down skills will be critical for him becoming a more complete player.”

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/jo ... -nfl-draft

I'm not wild about the pick. It seems we have lots of "special teams aces." Or Collier.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
I’m shocked that Many of you hate this pick

Couple things .

1. Watch the film . The guy is electric and honestly looks just like Wagner .

2. He’s joining a linebacker group with Wagner and Wright . That will help any young player and especially one with the speed Brooks has .

3. It’s a late first round pick . We have to stop pretending that these guys are going to be week 1 starters .

4 . In JS and PC I still and always will TRUST . Not any of you . Some of y’all negative folks weren’t here for the Tim Ruskel or Jim Mora Jr era . I’ll never forget how lucky we are .

seabowl

Reaction score
Reminds me of Anthony Simmons. Similar build and athletic

xray

Reaction score
Exactly 2 years ago the Hawks drafted another 27th overall pick named Penny . Appeared to be a great college player .
Brooks appears to be a great college player too . I hope Carroll & Schneider are correct with this pick ; because Penny was never a 1st round pick . I hope in 2 years Brooks has a better-longer highlight reel than Penny has after 2 years . They should of traded down both times IMO.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":1akzv85h said:
I’m shocked that Many of you hate this pick

Couple things .

1. Watch the film . The guy is electric and honestly looks just like Wagner .

2. He’s joining a linebacker group with Wagner and Wright . That will help any young player and especially one with the speed Brooks has .

3. It’s a late first round pick . We have to stop pretending that these guys are going to be week 1 starters .

4 . In JS and PC I still and always will TRUST . Not any of you . Some of y’all negative folks weren’t here for the Tim Ruskel or Jim Mora Jr era . I’ll never forget how lucky we are .
He doesn't look "just like Wagner", he's a different player entirely. The only thing that is similar is their measurables when they came into the league and the fact that he's a Seahawk. Even if he does end up becoming a good player in the NFL I suspect that he will be much different than Wagner ever was. I'm interested to see if they're going to use him as a standing pass rusher on occasion.

First thing is it appears they move him around more. He lines up mostly on the inside, but I've even seen him line up as a stand-up pass rusher at least a few times as well. He's a lot more aggressive which isn't necessarily a good thing unless it is channeled in the proper manner. I'd say in some ways he is even more raw than Wagner was coming out of Utah.

As far as JC and PC goes, they are human beings, and they have proven that they aren't really on the money with their first round picks. They've given the fans ample reason to doubt their first round selections. Now, their second and third round picks are different stories all together.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2lj99nnp said:
pittpnthrs":2lj99nnp said:
Sports Hernia":2lj99nnp said:

You’re right Metcalf, Lockett, Dissly, Carson etc etc have been abysmal failures, what was I thinking? :roll:

They missed on Collier, McDowell, T2, Flowers etc etc. I didn’t like any of those picks.

But I waited until they got on the field and watched them sink or swim before I declared the sky was falling and the player or draft was a bust.

Yes they get too cute at times, and sometimes are a little too confident in their ability
to find diamonds in the rough especially during the first 2 rounds.

Every GM misses on early picks and picks in general. Billycheat, Lynch, Jerruh, Schneider, everyone!
They all miss. No one bats 1000, there are bad picks even in the best drafts.

My only concern with the pick was the shoulder issues I hope they had a thorough medical report on the shoulder.

Dissly has been a failure so far. Guy cant stay on the field. Collier, McDowell, T2, Flowers etc etc,,,,adds up to a lot of misses.

Anyways, LB was a need, but other areas needed addressed before it. Also, they picked a guy who played in a conference that considered defense as an afterthought, he's coming off of shoulder surgery, and he's poor in pass coverage. This is reminiscent of the Pocic pick. Pete and John passing on quality linemen that start in the league just so they can get cute and pick their man. If they were set on LB, they should have at least drafted Queen. Brooks is another head scratcher for sure.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Interesting pick to say the least. Wanted to see him play a bit more before commenting since I hadn't heard much about him. Some genuine endorsement by his HC who also coached Bobby.

Guy is a football player at heart, bruiser, very fast sideline to sideline and up the middle, great against the run, and from what I've heard a great leader. Pete wasn't lying when he said they wanted speed and punishment back, this kid has it. It is clear run defense is a priority, especially defending the style the Rams/49ers run. We couldn't stop a jet sweep until they were 15 yards downfield.

Not sure where he fits this year... Kendricks replacement? KJ replacement to get extra $$ for Clowney? LB's were sloooow last year and Barton looked completely overwhelmed. They can't have a third straight first round pick who cannot see the field their rookie year. Certainly feels like he is the future Bobby Wagner but not for a few seasons.

I kind of am in the camp they could have gotten him later but at the same time, he's clearly their guy and didn't want to risk missing him in the 2nd. Depending on where you read, he was either a 3-4 round pick or late 1st early 2nd. There is a lot of talent left in the 2nd and 3rd round and the board has fallen well so far to fill needs. I can see them being proactive to get another one of 'their' guys early tonight and then be patient for the next two picks while still getting great value. Tonight should make this offseason a bit more clear.

Jville

Reaction score
Seahawks ‘surprised’ Brooks with pick, say he ‘checks all the boxes’ >>> [urltargetblank]https://sports.mynorthwest.com/839319/seahawks-surprised-brooks-with-pick-say-he-checks-all-the-boxes/[/urltargetblank]

Latest posts