12 Undrafted Free Agents officially signed

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
mikeak":gmegkioy said:
The issue is if he will play. If I were him I would sign flunk out and say why. Teams would understand then be signed as a true FA instead. But really don't know how salary caps etc works for this.

NFL should have asked NFLPA about an exception and put him in supplemental
NFL denied his request to be placed in the supplemental draft. Would set a terrible precedent for them to remove him from the draft, the day of.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
DT Tory Slater is quite an athletic specimen.

6'4"/290, 4.95 forty, 31 bench, 35" vert, 10'03" broad

10 sacks, 16.5 TFL from the three technique

[youtube]rK7HBAa2PEY[/youtube]

Happy

Reaction score
Nate Boyer is such a great story. Very little chance of making the team, but I'm looking forward to following him as much as someone can through reports over the internet.

-s

LolaRox

Reaction score
I see they signed Kam's little brother, Keenan Lambert. I think he was on the Hawaiian traincation. It's nice to see him signed. All in the family. :th2thumbs:

HawkFan72

Reaction score
hawknation2015":26fr3bj3 said:

I'm really surprised he wasn't drafted with those numbers.

mikeak

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3conv75x said:
Seanhawk":3conv75x said:
mikeak":3conv75x said:
Collins is going to turn into a lawsuit if he is cleared

Who is he going to sue? The police for doing their job. Even if he doesn't turn out to be a suspect, he's the obvious first person to question.
Or himself for stating his refusal to sign with a team if his demands weren't met?

I didn't say I think he has a case but I expect him to try.

He would sue the league and NFLPA for bad faith bargaining. The establishment of salary caps for rookies agreed to by veterans is hurting him directly. He will probably also go for collusion by owners not to draft him and find a few other things. Remember Maurice Clarette originally won against the age thing then lost.

Separately I really can't stand the argument that it sets a bad precedent. This is a murder investigation that came up right at the draft and no clue if he did it or not. Society can deal with unique cases without setting precedent that applies to everyone.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The Collins thing is a win for him despite the initially low UDFA dollars. His contract as a UDFA will only be three years instead of four, and per CBS the RA 1st tender if he turns out to be good will be $4m - equivalent to what he would have been making as the #42 overall pick. There's obviously a lot of risk to him in that he won't see the big dollars for a few years, but overall he stands to make a lot more money this way than if he had gone in like the 6th round to some team.

The smart thing for Collins if he is completely innocent is to let the legal process play itself for a while until it looks like he is completely in the clear. At that point, he'll be looking for the team where his performance/growth will be the best and where his FA dollars will be maximized in a few years. I don't think that is the Seahawks, because I think our offensive philosophy is to have cheaper road graders in the interior and let the scheme handle weaknesses in pass protection.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
mikeak":1m8sml6o said:
Hawkfan77":1m8sml6o said:
Seanhawk":1m8sml6o said:
mikeak":1m8sml6o said:
Collins is going to turn into a lawsuit if he is cleared

Who is he going to sue? The police for doing their job. Even if he doesn't turn out to be a suspect, he's the obvious first person to question.
Or himself for stating his refusal to sign with a team if his demands weren't met?

I didn't say I think he has a case but I expect him to try.

He would sue the league and NFLPA for bad faith bargaining. The establishment of salary caps for rookies agreed to by veterans is hurting him directly. He will probably also go for collusion by owners not to draft him and find a few other things. Remember Maurice Clarette originally won against the age thing then lost.

Separately I really can't stand the argument that it sets a bad precedent. This is a murder investigation that came up right at the draft and no clue if he did it or not. Society can deal with unique cases without setting precedent that applies to everyone.
If he tries to sue the league, he will never play in it. Especially when it comes to the owner's pocket books. They don't like that.

I do think it sets a bad precedent. Just because something happens before the draft that possibly harms a player's value doesn't mean they should be allowed to be withdrawn from the draft in hopes to regain that value later on in the supp. draft or the following draft. Guys would start removing themselves from the draft if their stock isn't as high as they think it should be.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Lol we just got a family affair working, marshawn's cousin and now Kam's lil bro.

OP
OP
Seahawk Sailor

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines

chet380

Reaction score
FanSince82":dkpadu2m said:
If his contract is league minimum and contingent on the court case, what do we lose?

We potentially pick up a 1st rounder in an area of extreme need for league minimum. The upside greatly outweighs the potential downside (bad pr??)

Does anyone know how long the UDFA contract lasts? ,,, Is it possible to add incentives after Year 1?

If the UDFA contract is restrictive as to money and length, then no team can offer more than the other 31 and if Collins wants to play (assuming that he is not eligible for the 2016 draft and that he is cleared by the police), then he can choose any team and get the same deal.

If the kid is completely unconnected to the murder and is only being questioned because he is an ex-boyfriend, then this situation stinks and he has been, and continues to be, unbelievably unfairly treated.

Brahn

Reaction score
lsheldon":28y25f2k said:
MLOhawks":28y25f2k said:
Collins is not available. He said yesterday he is taking the year off and will enter the draft next year.

He screwed up cause he's not eligible for the 2016 draft. He better sign as an UDFA with someone, but who's going to want to take the risk?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... r-16-draft

a UDFA max contract of what? 25k? risk for a 1st round talent LT? Do we even need to ask if it would be worth it? I mean really?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
mikeak":d0qjj8m9 said:
chris98251":d0qjj8m9 said:
Seahawk Sailor":d0qjj8m9 said:
La'El Collins is still available. Wonder who'll take a chance on him. Could have been a first rounder if not for the legal issues that came up.

He can call his shot when this is done, I am betting hard to sign though, he will want 1st or 2nd round money.

Does anyone know how the UDFA cap works though? From what I found it seemed like a soft cap but unsure how it works
I was going to the same. Also what's the limit to how many you can sign? The 90 man roster cap?

Basis4day

Reaction score
chet380":1zy80nmb said:
FanSince82":1zy80nmb said:
If his contract is league minimum and contingent on the court case, what do we lose?

We potentially pick up a 1st rounder in an area of extreme need for league minimum. The upside greatly outweighs the potential downside (bad pr??)

Does anyone know how long the UDFA contract lasts? ,,, Is it possible to add incentives after Year 1?

If the UDFA contract is restrictive as to money and length, then no team can offer more than the other 31 and if Collins wants to play (assuming that he is not eligible for the 2016 draft and that he is cleared by the police), then he can choose any team and get the same deal.

If the kid is completely unconnected to the murder and is only being questioned because he is an ex-boyfriend, then this situation stinks and he has been, and continues to be, unbelievably unfairly treated.

http://overthecap.com/what-can-lael-col ... ree-agent/

This breaks it down nicely. The gist of it is he can make the league minimum ($435,000 in 2015, goes up each year) on a 3 year contract but is allowed to redo his contract after 2 years. If he plays out the original 3 year deal he is susceptible to RFA status. Teams are allocated approx $88,000 to spend on signing bonuses for their UDFA. You can sign as many UDFA as you want, so long as you don't go over the 90 man roster limit.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
HawkFan72":l7mz514c said:
hawknation2015":l7mz514c said:

I'm really surprised he wasn't drafted with those numbers.

I'm pumped to see Slater compete for a spot on the 53-man roster. It's hard to find guys with this size/athleticism combo who also play violently.

massari

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3gwqyaxs said:
La'El Collins is still available. Wonder who'll take a chance on him. Could have been a first rounder if not for the legal issues that came up.

Getting a 1st rounder for free? Would be amazing but 30 other teams will want him if he's cleared aswell....

mikeak

Reaction score
Basis4day":178ijhle said:
chet380":178ijhle said:
FanSince82":178ijhle said:

http://overthecap.com/what-can-lael-col ... ree-agent/

This breaks it down nicely. The gist of it is he can make the league minimum ($435,000 in 2015, goes up each year) on a 3 year contract but is allowed to redo his contract after 2 years. If he plays out the original 3 year deal he is susceptible to RFA status. Teams are allocated approx $88,000 to spend on signing bonuses for their UDFA. You can sign as many UDFA as you want, so long as you don't go over the 90 man roster limit.

Great link - thanks

Latest posts