10 reasons to hate: Seahawks/49ers

fsmassey

Reaction score
Wow... The reasons the 49ers have to hate the Seahawks are plain silly.

Can't say that about the vice versa. There's some pretty legitimate reasons to hate the 49ers.

CandlestickBum

Reaction score
Most 49ers fans did not even know that there was this supposed epic "rivalry" until the national media started manufacturing one after last year's game in Seattle.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
CandlestickBum":2rorj66i said:
Most 49ers fans did not even know that there was this supposed epic "rivalry" until the national media started manufacturing one after last year's game in Seattle.

TBF I don't think there really was a rivalry before Week 16 last year (at least from the 9ers side), given that the 9ers had won their last four meetings with the Hawks and the Hawks hadn't bested them since Week 1 of 2010.

IMO the rivalry is because, in order of importance:

1) They're both now very, very strong teams in the same division (which is really all it takes).

2) The Hawks won in a blowout and became media darlings due to their really historically impressive three game stretch against the Cardinals, Bills, and 9ers, which certainly fueled the fire in the national media.

3) The history between the two coaches and them needling each other, and Carrol finally getting the monkey of his back and besting Harbaugh gave the national media a human-interest story to attach to the rivalry, which blew things out of proportion as well.

BuddyRyans46

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3ajz5uo4 said:
CandlestickBum":3ajz5uo4 said:

TBF I don't think there really was a rivalry before Week 16 last year (at least from the 9ers side), given that the 9ers had won their last four meetings with the Hawks and the Hawks hadn't bested them since Week 1 of 2010.

1) They're both now very, very strong teams in the same division (which is really all it takes).

2) The Hawks won in a blowout and became media darlings due to their really historically impressive three game stretch against the Cardinals, Bills, and 9ers, which certainly fueled the fire in the national media.

3) The history between the two coaches and them needling each other, and Carrol finally getting the monkey of his back and besting Harbaugh gave the national media a human-interest story to attach to the rivalry, which blew things out of proportion as well.

+1 PopeyeJones. Thank you. Stop denying that there IS NOW a rivalry, niners fans. It makes you look rather foolish.

CandlestickBum

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2a5uw308 said:
CandlestickBum":2a5uw308 said:

I understand the history between the two coaches and how they can both be pompous windbags, but I have a hard time considering something an "epic rivalry" unless the teams keep each other from advancing in or to the postseason for more than one season in a short period of time.

The year before last, Seattle was not even a contender and last year, they split the series and Seattle made it on a wildcard spot, losing to Atlanta and not even playing San Francisco.

Growing up in the 90's, I believe the 49ers had epic rivalries with Dallas and Green Bay. The two games that SF and Seattle played last year ultimately did not even mean anything. Seattle was barely in the race for the division. Sunday's game will be very important in the national media, because both teams are raked near the top right now in most people's minds, but there will still be 14 games to play after that and it is far from clear that it will even be a close race by the end.

So, before I go out and buy some Seattle jerseys to burn Seattle needs to prove not just that they are more of a threat than Arizona and St. Louis (which obviously they are) but that they are actually going to be in a position to block the 49er's progress toward another Lombardi trophy. If they had beat Atlanta and then won the NFC championships, we might be close to an epic rivalry, but that did not happen.

Ninerg

Reaction score
Hawknight":3mz9m9jv said:
blog sfgate.com
Posted on September 12, 2013 at 4:00 am by Kevin Lynch in featured

"10 reasons to hate the Seahawks (and 10 reasons they hate the 49ers)"

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/09/12 ... s/#15846-8

One thing is true, Niner fans do kind see the Seahawks as upstarts. Niner fans might view the Rams as our biggest rivals, I'm sure the Rams view us a their biggest rivals.

Johnny

Reaction score
The only reason the 49ers hate the Seahawks is, We've been kicking their butts for the past 10+ years and only past 2 years they have even had a shot at beating us... I wouldn't call it "Hate", I would call it more like "Envy"...

Punter

Reaction score
Johnny":9gqp5mb7 said:
The only reason the 49ers hate the Seahawks is, We've been kicking their butts for the past 10+ years and only past 2 years they have even had a shot at beating us... I wouldn't call it "Hate", I would call it more like "Envy"...

Pff everybody beat the niners during the past decade not just the seahawks. You don't get envy of a team that beats you when you are bad and doomed anyway, more if that team doesn't accomplish anything either. You get envy if a team beats you when you are good, like dallas or GB did it in the 90's, the seahawks need to beat the niners in the playoffs or leave them out of them in order the deserve the envy.

Ninerg

Reaction score
Hawknight":1qsw2vaq said:
blog sfgate.com
Posted on September 12, 2013 at 4:00 am by Kevin Lynch in featured

"10 reasons to hate the Seahawks (and 10 reasons they hate the 49ers)"

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/09/12 ... s/#15846-8

One thing is true, Niner fans do kind see the Seahawks as upstarts. Niner fans might view the Rams as our biggest rivals, I'm sure the Rams view us a their biggest rivals.

FrankTheTank21

Reaction score
BuddyRyans46":3c95dd4o said:
Stop denying that there IS NOW a rivalry, niners fans. It makes you look rather foolish.

I never really considered it a rivalry until all of the build-up over this past off-season.

The Seahawks have only been in the NFC since 2002, and the 9ers have pretty much sucked that entire time.

Only Seahawk-49er memory that really stuck out was in 2004 when they ended our streak of consecutive games without being shutout dating back to 1977, I think.

I think with all of the trash talk, the head coaches that don't like each other, the two upstart QBs, and the battle for division supremacy, it looks to be the best current rivalry going.

Kakaww

Reaction score
"...the two coaches and how they can both be pompous windbags."

Please provide some examples of Pete being a pompous windbag. Have at it!

paramedic586

Reaction score
Honestly my only problem with Seahawks fans came from nfl.com. anytime I would read an article on 49ers you would get the "you suck" responses. But since coming on here I have gained a lot of respect for Seahawks fans. For the most part you all are pretty cool. But there are two things that stand out to me.

1. Way too much stock is put into the 42-13 victory. Yes we were blown out. We get that. But this is this appearance that the 49ers gave all that they had and just couldn't match up with Seattle. The 49ers played a horrible game and went away from there gameplan. but any football fan could look at that game and say "wow the Seahawks look amazing. But that was not the same 49ers that played last week." It's as if the 49ers beating the patriots,greenbay and Atlanta was some kind of fluke and the Seattle game was the "real" 49ers.

2. There is way too much searching for reasons not to like the 49ers. Ie. kaepernick doesn't respect the crowd noise at your stadium. He never said that. He was asked specifically about ground noise at c-link. His response was you always have to prepare for crowd noise at away games. And the Whitner article. He said nothing disrespectful. He just stated db like it when qb run around to try to make plays because it gives Dbs a better chance at playing the ball. Oh and if you can't quote a player saying that an offense was gimmick it wasn't said. Yes I'm calling the writer a liar. He is trying to get more people to read the article.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Ninerg":3ejxdef7 said:
Niner fans might view the Rams as our biggest rivals

How many 9ers fans are there interloping on the Rams boards? Face it, dude. We're here because there's a rivalry. :)

RichNhansom

Reaction score
paramedic586":399wp6mh said:
Honestly my only problem with Seahawks fans came from nfl.com. anytime I would read an article on 49ers you would get the "you suck" responses. But since coming on here I have gained a lot of respect for Seahawks fans. For the most part you all are pretty cool. But there are two things that stand out to me.

1. Way too much stock is put into the 42-13 victory. Yes we were blown out. We get that. But this is this appearance that the 49ers gave all that they had and just couldn't match up with Seattle. The 49ers played a horrible game and went away from there gameplan. but any football fan could look at that game and say "wow the Seahawks look amazing. But that was not the same 49ers that played last week." It's as if the 49ers beating the patriots,greenbay and Atlanta was some kind of fluke and the Seattle game was the "real" 49ers.

I think thats because you are looking at it from a one sided view. How many times have we heard Niner fans say that Harbaugh owns Carroll? They are 3-1 (4-1 above and that is even before the Harbaugh era and that is just the tip of the iceberg. Niners fans have an extreme superiority complex and not just here. Sure we put stock in that 42-13 win just like you put stock in 3-1 since Harbaugh arrived. The big difference is two of your wins came against Tavaris Jackson during a massive rebuilding phase. That 42-13 was the closest resemblance of the two teams taking the field Sunday and the most recent game for comparison. You also might notice that most of the time the 42-13 comes up now is due to Niners complaining we hang it to much and at the same time the record of 3-1 comes up even more often and never by a Seahawks fan. So before you blast us for that 42-13 maybe you should look at yourself a little and be fair in your reasoning.

2. There is way too much searching for reasons not to like the 49ers. Ie. kaepernick doesn't respect the crowd noise at your stadium. He never said that. He was asked specifically about ground noise at c-link. His response was you always have to prepare for crowd noise at away games. And the Whitner article. He said nothing disrespectful. He just stated db like it when qb run around to try to make plays because it gives Dbs a better chance at playing the ball. Oh and if you can't quote a player saying that an offense was gimmick it wasn't said. Yes I'm calling the writer a liar. He is trying to get more people to read the article.

The problem is we don't even have to search for it. How many times have you heard (mostly on the webzone or other places) that Pete Carroll is a cheater? Your coach even came out and accused us of cheating. How many times have you read or heard about the PED's?

It goes both ways. Rival fans will always hate on their opponent. At least we aren't calling Harbaugh a drunken rapist or a violant gun toting drunk. Yes that would be extreme but those are things your players have been accused of since his arrival and if we are going to chastise a coach for the actions of his players then those quotes wouldn't be any more flamboyant than saying Pete is a cheater.

You also have to admit if Wilson wore a Miami Dolphins hat or posed nude, you would be blasting him too. If we had guys getting accused of rape or beating each other over the head with bottles or shooting guns into a crowd, you would be all over it so sure it sucks but it is par for the course. By the way when I say you I admittedly am lumping you in with your fan base.

paramedic586

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2raika09 said:
paramedic586":2raika09 said:

I think thats because you are looking at it from a one sided view. How many times have we heard Niner fans say that Harbaugh owns Carroll? They are 3-1 (4-1 above and that is even before the Harbaugh era and that is just the tip of the iceberg. Niners fans have an extreme superiority complex and not just here. Sure we put stock in that 42-13 win just like you put stock in 3-1 since Harbaugh arrived. The big difference is two of your wins came against Tavaris Jackson during a massive rebuilding phase. That 42-13 was the closest resemblance of the two teams taking the field Sunday and the most recent game for comparison. You also might notice that most of the time the 42-13 comes up now is due to Niners complaining we hang it to much and at the same time the record of 3-1 comes up even more often and never by a Seahawks fan. So before you blast us for that 42-13 maybe you should look at yourself a little and be fair in your reasoning.

Your comparing apples and oranges when it comes to overall record. So one game does not nullify an overall record no matter what the point margin is on the previous game. There is very little indicators that the 49ers you saw in week 16 is what you will see on a regular basis. If that is what you think then how were the 49ers able to go on and beat Green Bay and Atlanta in the playoffs? Witch leads to a very curious question. Are you saying that the 49ers are going to consistently get destroyed by Seattle?

The problem is we don't even have to search for it. How many times have you heard (mostly on the webzone or other places) that Pete Carroll is a cheater? Your coach even came out and accused us of cheating. How many times have you read or heard about the PED's?

It goes both ways. Rival fans will always hate on their opponent. At least we aren't calling Harbaugh a drunken rapist or a violant gun toting drunk. Yes that would be extreme but those are things your players have been accused of since his arrival and if we are going to chastise a coach for the actions of his players then those quotes wouldn't be any more flamboyant than saying Pete is a cheater.

You also have to admit if Wilson wore a Miami Dolphins hat or posed nude, you would be blasting him too. If we had guys getting accused of rape or beating each other over the head with bottles or shooting guns into a crowd, you would be all over it so sure it sucks but it is par for the course. By the way when I say you I admittedly am lumping you in with your fan base.

I very rarely hear of pete carol being a cheater. I actually know very little about what he did at USC. Nor do I care. true 49ers fans do not care about petty stuff such as that. No Harbaugh did not accuse the seahawks of cheating. He was asked a very specific question the seahawks. He never accused them of cheating. You are referencing a NFL.com article that didn't put harbaughs full comments. Just what they wanted you to hear. (http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/6/11/4 ... uspensions) Lastly I do not care what Kaepernick wears on his off days. Just like I do not care who RW or any other player does on their off time. Im more concerned about some of my players legal issues. That concerns me. Again you need to take the age/ maturity of the fan base.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Punter":256os2ex said:
Johnny":256os2ex said:

Pff everybody beat the niners during the past decade not just the seahawks. You don't get envy of a team that beats you when you are bad and doomed anyway, more if that team doesn't accomplish anything either. You get envy if a team beats you when you are good, like dallas or GB did it in the 90's, the seahawks need to beat the niners in the playoffs or leave them out of them in order the deserve the envy.

This. Candlestickbum posted that we weren't a dominant team, therefor it wasn't a rivarly, but that is actually incorrect. For over 5 years, we dominated the division. The problem was that the division, and the Niners, were terrible. It's not like we were keeping them from the postseason, but that we were kinda the last guy putting our foot on their heads to hold them underwater.

I see a rivarly forming for a few reasons:

1. Our coaches. Pete plays it down, but I'm sure he doesn't like Harbaugh. Pretty much the entire league is already tired of Harbaugh's antics and whining. On the flip side, Harbaugh makes no bones about disliking Pete.

2. Our teams are so similar. When you have two tough, physical teams that make a leaving beating you up on defense, and running the ball on you and beating you up on offense, then it's going to be bitter. Look at the Ravens and STeelers. Both teams from the same mold, defensive cultures that permeat those teams. Also notice there isn't much mention in the media of that rivalry anymore, now that Pittsburgh is borderline terrible and the Ravens won it all last year. No one expects those games to be really competitive this year.

3. success. Sure, you can say the Hawks didn't keep the Niners from the postseason last year, but it was close. If we had knocked them out of the division championship, you bet your ass they would feel the rivalry.

4. The state of the division. You can't sleep on the Rams or Cards in this division, or they'll knock you off. The Rams were what, 7-9 last year but played the Niners to a standstill and won the matchup. All divisional games are going to start feeling like a rivalry. If the Rams and Cards keep getting better, you can expect that a lot of splits will happen, and everyone will be looking for that extra win. Has there ever been a division where all teams ended up 3-3 in division ? The fact that these teams both have good defenses are also a factor.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Hawks46":1bgehc38 said:
On the flip side, Harbaugh makes no bones about disliking Pete.

Link?

I think you're confusing the media blowing up their relationship with Harbaugh ever having actually said anything directly about Carroll, which as far as I know he hasn't.

Latest posts