Penix

chris98251

Reaction score
No Cousins could be easily traded next year, the QB class supposedly sucks and someone will be desperate.

Rat

Reaction score
Cousins is guaranteed $100 million over the next two years, and the Falcons are expected to be penalized multiple draft picks for tampering with him.

Falcons should have tried to trade for Geno if they wanted a bridge for Penix.

CPHawk

Reaction score

If they go 9-8 and miss the playoffs, not being able to stop the run. Falcons fans are going to be pissed looking at Murphy kicking ass in Seattle. And if cousins plays well for the next 4 years and they never achieve much more than a 1 and done playoff, they will all grow to hate Penix before he ever takes the field.

Last edited:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Cousins is a 3 team vet with less than 3 total playoff wins.
But the money was already spent.

You don't compound that mistake by not trying to get better. Penix will likely be better.

So the pick makes sense to me, even if signing Cousins in the first place didn't.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Can anyone who is less myopic than me when it comes to college football explain why Penix isn’t even sniffing the top 5 QBs on anyone’s draft boards?

I watched every Huskies game last season and while he has his faults like any QB, he is a marvel to watch and one hell of a hose for a left arm.

I can’t believe he is down so low on most people’s boards. I humbly ask, what am I missing?
Uhh injuries?

chris98251

Reaction score
Cousins has a no trade clause
That just means he can say no, does not mean he can't be traded, Wilson had the same thing and got to go where he wanted, got a lot more then he asked for actually now didn't he. Worked out well for us could work out well for Atlanta.

NoGain

Reaction score
The whole Penix to Atlanta thing was one of the dumbest draft things I've ever seen. Kind of like Ditka trading every draft pick for Ricky Williams. I mean, they knew they were in the market for a QB, and they knew they were going to have a top pick in the draft, and they could have guessed that Penix would likely be available to them to draft...yet they sign Cousins to a massive contract.

This was a scouting, planning, decision making snafu of magnanimous proportions. This is not going to go away. It's going to be a big ongoing story all next season. Every time Cousins goes into some kind of slide, the fans are going to be shouting for Penix. And what a bomb of confusion you dropped into the locker room. You can't tell me that players aren't going to be talking behind the scenes and feeling a little mixed up about who their real leader is going to be. And then there's Cousins himself. He must have a giant WTF! in his head that could well make it difficult for him to have that "all in" attitude towards the job.

What a shytstorm.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
The whole Penix to Atlanta thing was one of the dumbest draft things I've ever seen. Kind of like Ditka trading every draft pick for Ricky Williams. I mean, they knew they were in the market for a QB, and they knew they were going to have a top pick in the draft, and they could have guessed that Penix would likely be available to them to draft...yet they sign Cousins to a massive contract.

This was a scouting, planning, decision making snafu of magnanimous proportions. This is not going to go away. It's going to be a big ongoing story all next season. Every time Cousins goes into some kind of slide, the fans are going to be shouting for Penix. And what a bomb of confusion you dropped into the locker room. You can't tell me that players aren't going to be talking behind the scenes and feeling a little mixed up about who their real leader is going to be. And then there's Cousins himself. He must have a giant WTF! in his head that could well make it difficult for him to have that "all in" attitude towards the job.

What a shytstorm.
Terry Fortenot has a reputation for being a poor drafter I am expecting him to be fired by the time Penix sees the field. I could have seen the Falcons sign either Sam Darnold or Gardner Minshew for 1-2 yrs and draft a QB( Penix)

The funny part of the story is the Vikings told Cousins they were drafting a QB and that is the reason he wanted out, at least the Vikings were straight up with Cousins

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Now the draft is over my secret wish was the Hawks drafted Penix.

My belief is with the right coaching and a better than average OLine this QB will light it up and make ATL look brilliant for drafting him.

However, that said I’m not unhappy with the player they picked.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They were reportedly one of the three teams that tried to trade up for him. I'm stoked they got Murphy, but people still seem to want to convince themselves that JS wasn't interested in getting Penix. I can't wait to see Penix get his shot. Not sure what dude did to have so many people downplay him so much. Did he pee in someone's cereal or something? This kid is not only one hell of a QB, but he's been nothing but a class kid and a team player. If he turns out to be a solid NFL QB will people come back and eat some Crow?
I highly doubt it.

chris98251

Reaction score
They were reportedly one of the three teams that tried to trade up for him. I'm stoked they got Murphy, but people still seem to want to convince themselves that JS wasn't interested in getting Penix. I can't wait to see Penix get his shot. Not sure what dude did to have so many people downplay him so much. Did he pee in someone's cereal or something? This kid is not only one hell of a QB, but he's been nothing but a class kid and a team player. If he turns out to be a solid NFL QB will people come back and eat some Crow?
I highly doubt it.
The fact he has the injury stigma is a start, now throw in he is left handed, lots of coaches have issues with that, they feel they have to flip their line strength, receivers will have problems with the ball rotation as well as the RB's have to adjust to the rotation of how he turns to hand the ball off. Most are BS since a left handed QB has adjusted his whole career to some of this stuff, good receivers adjust and catch the ball, hell Zorn was left handed as well and Largent seemed to have no problem catching his passes.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I highly doubt it.
Interested and actually being able to trade for him are two different things. I doubt js spent any time trying to trade his pocket lent and 1st round pick in 2027 to move up.

Maulbert

Reaction score
I highly doubt it.
Dude, the Hawks weren't trading up for anyone. Dropping to them is another thing entirely. I don't claim to know what Schneider would've done if Penix was still there at #16, but I'm far happier with Murphy.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Interested and actually being able to trade for him are two different things. I doubt js spent any time trying to trade his pocket lent and 1st round pick in 2027 to move up.
Well, that's your opinion. Neither of us will ever actually know.

I never once said they WERE going to trade up. I just don't doubt that they considered it. I'd rather have Murphy at 16.
Doesn't matter at this point, meh. I'm happy with who we got; in fact, I'm surprised he was there as 16.
For the 90th time, WE....DON'T....KNOW if they were trying to trade up or not. It's literally the only point I was trying to make.
JFC. All that being said, always good to talk about football. And one of my all-time favorite UW players.

Last edited: