Would you trade Jamal Adams if we had no dead money?

Would you trade Jamal Adams to free up 5 million if no dead money?

  • No, we gave up so much draft capital we need to stick with it even if it's not working.

    Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Yes, if we have 5 million dollars more we would have $16,724,698 and can save the team.

    Votes: 10 41.7%
  • I'm not sure, can we even trade Jamal Adams with no dead money?

    Votes: 7 29.2%

  • Total voters
    24

Reaneypark

Active member
Joined
Sep 18, 2011
Messages
2,121
Reaction score
17
Elemas":4gd33u1y said:
So, Jamal Adams is an All-Pro on a bad team (Jets) but, he comes here and you want to trade him?

Sounds like a coaches problem to me…fire/trade the coach.

Jamal Adams, Jimmy Graham, Percy Harvin? I see a pattern here.
 
OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2013
Messages
964
Reaction score
8
hawkfan68":996p7e6n said:
Jamal Adams reminds me a lot of Mark Barron. Mark was a safety but struggled at that position in the NFL with the Rams. They moved him to LB and instantly he started playing better. Jamal is a better talent than Mark but I think a position change like that would beneficial. Put Taylor back on DL and make JA an LB.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Barron

That sounds crazy on paper but I think you might be correct.

Imagine if we had Bobby Wagner, KJ Wright, and Jamal Adams at linebacker and then put Ryan Neal at Strong Safety!

That might actually be a top 10 defense which could give us at least a CHANCE to win a Super Bowl... unfortunately we don't have KJ for some unknown reason.


In that scenario Jordyn Brooks is a bust draft pick but I think that might also be correct. I haven't seen any of the hype others have spoke of regarding his play.

I guess you could put Jordyn Brooks in KJ Wright's place in this scenario but I think it's so much worst sadly.
 
OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2013
Messages
964
Reaction score
8
mistaowen":1aafpxru said:
Those stats are laugh out loud funny. Just blindly assuming Ryan Neal defends 20 passes based on a small sample size.

Ryan Neal already beat Jamal in Interceptions and Passes Defended with just 25% of the games started. It's not a stretch to assume he is in fact better at those things...

For example:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/defense-pass-defenses?season_id=18

The best player in the league last season got 21 Passes defended.

There are only 8 players who had 16 or more passes defended in 2020.

The top 3 safeties averaged 14.

Ryan Neal had 5 in 4 games, when you see how hard it is to gain a "Pass Defended" stat based on the NFL leaders and then when you see what our backup Ryan Neal did in just 4 games, it's not a stretch to 99.999% know he's better than Jamal Adams in this category.

Everyone already knows Jamal can't get an interception even if you throw it right into his hands (we've seen that multiple times).
 
OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2013
Messages
964
Reaction score
8
jammerhawk":14dwlfr5 said:
This thread is simply more negativity. This place needs to renamed a Seahawksnegativity.net.

It isn’t just a matter of what was traded for him it’s genuinely a mattter of how good a player he really is. Eventually the DC or new DC will figure out his best use. Adams is a perpetual Pro Bowl level player some patience is needed.

After all last season he only made the Pro Bowl playing in 12 games only and he set an all time league record for sack from a S and forced critical stops in several games.

No way I trade him.

I'll be sure to quote this when he gets injured which is very likely given his play style and his shoulders are still busted up he doesn't use his arms at all when he tackles, he literally dives at them like a dolphin.

Saying he is a perpetual Pro Bowler is a bit of a stretch when considering he just entered the league and his production is already starting to dip big time...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AdamJa00.htm


Jamal Adams is statistically in a downwards trend of:

- Games Started
- Interceptions
- Passes Defended
- Forced Fumbles

The only area Jamal improved on with us is Sacks and it's because we don't know how to use him in any other way and now we aren't even doing that?!
 
OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2013
Messages
964
Reaction score
8
Throwdown":je9fv0qk said:
It’s also not taking into account scheme. Losers think a strong safety in a cover 3 scheme is supposed to have 5 picks a year, and that’s not the case.

Well Kam Chancellor had 4 and 3 picks in 2 of his seasons, I guess he doesn't count. We should go WAY BACK IN TIME before the Pete Carrol era for your example... haha.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/ChanKa99.htm

At this point I think everyone would be ecstatic if Jamal Adams could get just 1 interception per season... your example is pretty bad.

Ryan Neal also had 2 Interceptions in just 4 games...????
 

TheLegendOfBoom

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 15, 2015
Messages
2,314
Reaction score
164
Location
Westcoastin’
Since we are stuck with Adams, Carroll has to do a better job of utilizing Adams abilities rather than hinder him.

I would play Adams exactly how Chancellor was used as in between the second and third level, eying the strong side Tight Ends.

For crossing routes, Adams would hit anything that comes into that area.

Put Diggs at center field and let him patrol and for anything going over the top on deep routes, go routes, etc.

Put Flowers/Jones and Reed on the receivers playing press and press bail, never more than 5 yards from the receiver.

Put Brooks closer to the nickel covering that zone, spying the QB and responsible for outside run support.

Wagner needs to free lance as middle linebacker and spy the QB with Brooks. Wagner can blitz or drop back and cover short passes going in the middle, and of course, cover the run up the middle.

Taylor or whoever is the next linebacker can cover the other zone by Wagner and or an extra pass rusher.

And the rest of the front four pass rushing on a wide set, this would effectively cover most/all of Seattles vulnerable areas.
 

jammerhawk

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Mar 5, 2007
Messages
8,867
Reaction score
435
Thought Adam’s played pretty well today against the Digits.

Things were certainly ugly early though. Neither side of the ball looked like they were ready to play.
 
OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2013
Messages
964
Reaction score
8
jammerhawk":337b6nol said:
Thought Adam’s played pretty well today against the Digits.

Things were certainly ugly early though. Neither side of the ball looked like they were ready to play.

I can agree Jamal Adams had a decent game today even though it appeared he gave up a touchdown single handedly.

There is a chance he was coached to drop off of that coverage, but if you look at that replay it seems to me a great player would of understood to stick with that receiver.

I will say this was a step forward with Jamal Adams even if he gave up a free touchdown.
 

jammerhawk

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Mar 5, 2007
Messages
8,867
Reaction score
435
Given how upset Adams was after that play and what Pete said about it after the game, although the perception of the media and many is that the busted coverage was on Adams it appears the over the top coverage responsibility was really on Jones who broke from his responsibility leaving Samuels wide open. Adams is an emotional leader on D and when it is working which admittedly hasn’t been often this season he brings swag and a physical presence.

Although the D was playing softly coverage early they started challenging at the LOS and it began to work. Playing soft zone coverage against Stafford won’t work as well as it did against SF. they made mistakes but eventually looked like they were communicating better in coverage which is positive sign. That said except early when it looked like it might be a long game the D made some real progress against SF. Using Adams better was a big part of it along with a great game from Neal. even Jones looked to be a positive addition save as above.
 

Mad Dog

Active member
Joined
Aug 11, 2015
Messages
2,104
Reaction score
10
jammerhawk":1z11ubcf said:
Thought Adam’s played pretty well today against the Digits.

Things were certainly ugly early though. Neither side of the ball looked like they were ready to play.

They played a lot of dime which had Adams essentially a WILL and it worked reasonably well.

I think if you eliminate that Jones blown coverage, the game looks a lot better overall. First half offense stunk though.
 

Sgt. Largent

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 1, 2012
Messages
22,189
Reaction score
1,689
Tokadub":qjhyki08 said:
jammerhawk":qjhyki08 said:
Thought Adam’s played pretty well today against the Digits.

Things were certainly ugly early though. Neither side of the ball looked like they were ready to play.

I can agree Jamal Adams had a decent game today even though it appeared he gave up a touchdown single handedly.

There is a chance he was coached to drop off of that coverage, but if you look at that replay it seems to me a great player would of understood to stick with that receiver.

I will say this was a step forward with Jamal Adams even if he gave up a free touchdown.


"Decent" is not good enough for a player we not only gave up two 1st round picks for, but just gave 17M a year to.

Impactful
Disruptive
Elite
Game changing

Those are the words Adams should be invoking each week. In order for the trade to work out IMO Adam's need to be a top 10 defender in the league. Sacks, strip fumbles, interceptions, 2-3 big hits a game, and all around disruptive force.

He's trying, so I'll give him that. But so far he has not lived up to the trade or the contract. Neal could play the position and give us 80% of what Adam's has given us.

Still early. So I'm hopeful.
 

Flyingsquad23

Active member
Joined
Sep 5, 2016
Messages
804
Reaction score
32
80% is very subjective number to throw and if true would probably give a 20% chance the Hawks would have 1-2 more losses. Can Adams play better..sure I would say “80%” chance he improves 20%.

Kind of like the failed Percy experience if Adams makes 1 huge play that gets the Hawks( a. Into the playoffs b. Wins a playoff game c. Wins NFCC or d. Wins the big prize…….it won’t matter what the early part of the season looked like. I’m not saying it will play out like this but can we just wait more than 4 weeks before he is called a bust and not worthy.
 

Sgt. Largent

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 1, 2012
Messages
22,189
Reaction score
1,689
Flyingsquad23":129owerj said:
80% is very subjective number to throw and if true would probably give a 20% chance the Hawks would have 1-2 more losses. Can Adams play better..sure I would say “80%” chance he improves 20%.

Kind of like the failed Percy experience if Adams makes 1 huge play that gets the Hawks( a. Into the playoffs b. Wins a playoff game c. Wins NFCC or d. Wins the big prize…….it won’t matter what the early part of the season looked like. I’m not saying it will play out like this but can we just wait more than 4 weeks before he is called a bust and not worthy.

I see no evidence that Adam's contributed even 10% to our two wins, let alone more than 20% you're claiming.

His hit on Kittles is literally his only impact play of the season so far, and one Neal or Blair probably could have made as well.

22 tackles
1 pass defense
1 tackle for loss
0 QB hits
0 sacks
0 interceptions

I'm not anti Adams, I think he is a great player. But if we're being honest with the success of the trade and extension is vs how well he's impacted games? Then so far it's been a failure.
 

Flyingsquad23

Active member
Joined
Sep 5, 2016
Messages
804
Reaction score
32
Well I guess that is why I went on to say that if he makes just one play in one big game it will be worth it and make the early season deficiency irrelevant.
Just for a comparison and not a direct one, everyone’s mvp Donald has 13 tackles and 2 sacks…2 games with zero sacks…
It’s not how you start…
 

Spin Doctor

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 8, 2009
Messages
4,184
Reaction score
230
Flyingsquad23":lodgxhws said:
Well I guess that is why I went on to say that if he makes just one play in one big game it will be worth it and make the early season deficiency irrelevant.
Just for a comparison and not a direct one, everyone’s mvp Donald has 13 tackles and 2 sacks…2 games with zero sacks…
It’s not how you start…
I've watched Donald this season, despite his sack totals he's blowing up opposing lines and is absolutely a menace.

The problem with Jamal Adams is we absolutely don't know how to use him and he is a mismatch for what Carroll usually tries to do on defense. The fact that we spent 2 first rounds for a player like that is absurd.
 

Flyingsquad23

Active member
Joined
Sep 5, 2016
Messages
804
Reaction score
32
I haven’t disagreed that his isn’t playing at the level he needs to be, it’s a long season and even the greats don’t turn in 16 monster games a season. If he sucks all year and then has a monster postseason and leads them to the big prize is it still absurd?
 

Sgt. Largent

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 1, 2012
Messages
22,189
Reaction score
1,689
Flyingsquad23":w9u2lnce said:
Well I guess that is why I went on to say that if he makes just one play in one big game it will be worth it and make the early season deficiency irrelevant.
Just for a comparison and not a direct one, everyone’s mvp Donald has 13 tackles and 2 sacks…2 games with zero sacks…
It’s not how you start…

I need WAY more than one play per game out of a guy I'm paying 17M to. Unless you guarantee me that one play is a pick six or strip sack returned for a TD.

Adams is now top 15 of highest paid defenders in the entire league, up there with guys who get 10+ sacks a season, or DB's like Ramsey who impact 10+ plays per game and take away receivers.

IMO Adams is a glorified weakside LB, so then play him like that. Play 4-3 with 5 defensive backs so Adams can blitz more and destroy the run game at the LOS.

Because if he's just going to be in our base cover 2 or cover 3 and play over half his snaps dropping into coverage running after TE's? Then trade his ass, because that's not his strength.
 

Flyingsquad23

Active member
Joined
Sep 5, 2016
Messages
804
Reaction score
32
I will repeat myself again, one play a game in the first half of the regular season is definitely not living up to expectations, one big play in the postseason can make the entire regular season irrelevant. Hell, if he comes out Thursday night and drops 2 sacks and a forced fumble his seasons looks solid…one game can change the perception.
 

Sgt. Largent

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 1, 2012
Messages
22,189
Reaction score
1,689
Flyingsquad23":18x3r37t said:
I will repeat myself again, one play a game in the first half of the regular season is definitely not living up to expectations, one big play in the postseason can make the entire regular season irrelevant. Hell, if he comes out Thursday night and drops 2 sacks and a forced fumble his seasons looks solid…one game can change the perception.

You can say this about any player that's under performing now.

That wasn't the question, the question is would you trade Adams if there was no dead cap money. Now, not wait and see.

So my answer as of now, because that's the only context I have today is how has he played so far this year.........is yes, I would if we could get a #1 back and no cap hit.
 

irfuben32

Member
Joined
Oct 24, 2013
Messages
205
Reaction score
6
hawkfan68":3sg9w7nc said:
Jamal Adams reminds me a lot of Mark Barron. Mark was a safety but struggled at that position in the NFL with the Rams. They moved him to LB and instantly he started playing better. Jamal is a better talent than Mark but I think a position change like that would beneficial. Put Taylor back on DL and make JA an LB.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Barron

I love this idea.
 

Latest posts

Top