Why did the Hawks not trade Russ last offseaon? Big mistake

seabowl

Reaction score
In looking back at the situation with Russ the last few years I just don't understand why they waited until this offseason to trade him. It was very obvious even last year that Russ was done with Carroll's style of play and wanted out. I gotta believe the offers coming in for him were even far better then what they got this year for him and if they would have moved him then, they would have been one year closer in the rebuild with more garnered in a trade. I may answer my own question with this but I guess they (ownership) at the time last year may have thought they weren't sure if they were keeping Carroll at the time but once they decided to retain him they should have traded Russ. Imo the lack of organizational knowledge of Jody has cost the Hawks here. PA I think would have approved a trade if he was sticking with Carroll during last offseason.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

getnasty

Reaction score
In looking back at the situation with Russ the last few years I just don't understand why they waited until this offseason to trade him. It was very obvious even last year that Russ was done with Carroll's style of play and wanted out. I gotta believe the offers coming in for him were even far better then what they got this year for him and if they would have moved him then, they would have been one year closer in the rebuild with more garnered in a trade. I may answer my own question with this but I guess they (ownership) at the time last year may have thought they weren't sure if they were keeping Carroll at the time but once they decided to retain him they should have traded Russ. Imo the lack of organizational knowledge of Jody has cost the Hawks here. PA I think would have approved a trade if he was sticking with Carroll during last offseason.

Thoughts?
I don't think Pete and John ever wanted to move him and why would they. Feels like they tried there best to patch thing it just didn't work.

sutz

Reaction score
Without the injury, we win 10 games, easy. No way they could 'plan' for that. Truth is, Russ wanted out.

keasley45

Reaction score
Russ wanted out. I honestly don't think there was ever any doubt on the part of ownership, that Pete would be here. I think Jody and John were fine getting rid of Russ last year, and Pete fell for the okidoke in believing that Russ' s gripe was all just about bringing in a new OC and 'modernizing' things.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Should have traded him after 2014? Think of all the draft picks. Some on here think the game is acquiring picks. Like accumulating properties in Monopoly.

toffee

Reaction score
I was the lone advocate of trading Russ last off season, that was the best time to trade him, but boy was I totally hated. I called 2021 season the post Wilson era, and boy was that unpopular.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I was the lone advocate of trading Russ last off season, that was the best time to trade him, but boy was I totally hated. I called 2021 season the post Wilson era, and boy was that unpopular.
Take heart toffee, you weren't the only one that was wrong in thinking that after a 12 & 4 season, and a brand-new OC at the Offensive helm, that Wilson was still hell-bent on getting shed of Seattle, and finding a whole new Audience to scream fill his ego.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
I think you are making a lot of assumptions as to what went down and why.
What assumptions? It seemed at the time last offseason he wanted out as he wanted to play his game and not Petes. Turns out that was the correct assumption as the team has stated he wanted out this year too and they obliged. Trading the player last year when they knew the relationship was virtually over was the move to get the most capital.

No assumptions as it’s pretty much what happened.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

Thoughts?
The Bears reported offer was shit compared to what Denver gave up, though.

If this is the metric by which we are evaluating things, then it was the right move to wait.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
The Bears reported offer was shit compared to what Denver gave up, though.

If this is the metric by which we are evaluating things, then it was the right move to wait.
Articles stated Bears offered 3 first round picks, 1 third round pick and 2 starters (reportedly Mack and Hicks). If true that offer is not shit.

Jville

Reaction score
What assumptions? It seemed at the time last offseason he wanted out as he wanted to play his game and not Petes. Turns out that was the correct assumption as the team has stated he wanted out this year too and they obliged. Trading the player last year when they knew the relationship was virtually over was the move to get the most capital.

No assumptions as it’s pretty much what happened.

Revisionist narrative at work.​

Nunya's opinion is spot on. Your just making stuff up. Pete has covered the subject ..... John has ...... the forum has .... as well as the local media. If ya still don't know what happened, your not receptive to anyone here who might make the effort to enlighten you.​

The rest of us remember what actually transpired during 2020 and 2021.​

Last edited:

toffee

Reaction score
Russ wanted out. I honestly don't think there was ever any doubt on the part of ownership, that Pete would be here. I think Jody and John were fine getting rid of Russ last year, and Pete fell for the okidoke in believing that Russ' s gripe was all just about bringing in a new OC and 'modernizing' things.
I said this before and I shall repeat myself: Pete Carroll deserve to be fired for
1. the way he appeased Russell Wilson since the Superbowl.
2. Pete became a must fired after he vetoed the trade of Russ last off season.

(1) was behavior unbecoming if a headcoach.
(2) poor judgement.

Ok broken record, I said it again.

Jville

Reaction score
The cap hit would’ve paralyzed us last off-season
Posting the numbers ........

The relevant Russ dead cap hit this year is $26,000,000.
The dead cap hit for last year would have been a prohibitive $58,000,000.

And although there were other solid reasons for staying the course in 2021, the cap hit was the bigger barrier. It's not like the timing of the trade was some kind of mystery story.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Articles stated Bears offered 3 first round picks, 1 third round pick and 2 starters (reportedly Mack and Hicks). If true that offer is not shit.
Yeah, but number 20 is worth like half of 9 overall, and Denver included two second rounders. Some reports say Mack and stuff were added, but other reports were 2021/2022 first and a third was the offer and that's definitely shit.

Regardless, I'd hardly call it a big mistake to wait a year, considering the good return they received from Denver. Have you considered how different the cap implications would have been had he been traded a year prior?

nanomoz

Reaction score
I'd rather have the picks in this draft and the next draft. And Russ's cap hit is a $30 mil. difference.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Posting the numbers ........

The relevant Russ dead cap hit this year is $26,000,000.
The dead cap hit for last year would have been a prohibitive $58,000,000.

And although there were other solid reasons for staying the course in 2021, the cap hit was the bigger barrier. It's not like the timing of the trade was some kind of mystery story.
Very valid point on cap hit last year.

Latest posts