We drafted for the floor, not ceiling... Smart move.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I think it's fair to say that JS/PC drafted with the floor, not the ceiling in mind. It's a good strategy.

Sure, the ceiling with Carter, or say Richardson is potentially sky high, but their floor is potentially just as low as their ceiling is high.

Contrast that to Witherspoon and JSN. Even if one or both don't meet lofty expectations, they will still be great starters for the next 4-5 years. Seriously, I think their absolute floor is a solid contributing starter for years to come.

The most important thing was to ensure we don't waste unprecedented draft capital. We didn't. It may not be who I "wanted", but I'm content and getting more excited the more I read about these new Hawks.

Last edited by a moderator:

GGotskill

Reaction score
I think it's fair to say that JS/PC drafted with the floor, not the ceiling in mind. It's a good strategy.

Sure, the ceiling with Carter, or say Richardson is potentially sky high, but their floor is potentially just as low as their ceiling is high.

Contrast that to Witherspoon and JSN. Even if one or both don't meet lofty expectations, they will still be great starters for the next 4-5 years. Seriously, I think their absolute floor is a solid contributing starter for years to come.

The most important thing was to ensure we don't waste unprecedented draft capital. We didn't. It may not be who I "wanted", but I'm content and getting more excited the more I read about these new Hawks.

What? Witherspoon may have the highest ceiling of any non-QB in the draft.

OP
OP
rjdriver

rjdriver

Reaction score
What? Witherspoon may have the highest ceiling of any non-QB in the draft.

Hopefully! High ceilings and low floors certainly aren't mutually exclusive, but different GM's may decide to prioritize them differently.

My point is his floor is also one of the "lowest" of any player in this draft as well. Same with JSN. The most important thing you can do with a top 5 pick is not waste it. Exceeding expectations will be gravy.

I would argue that Carter has the highest ceiling of any non QB in the draft. But his floor is commensurately low. I agree that Witherspoon's ceiling may be sky high, (I think it will be) but I know his floor still a great player.

GGotskill

Reaction score
Hopefully! High ceilings and low floors certainly aren't mutually exclusive, but different GM's may decide to prioritize them differently.

My point is his floor is also one of the "lowest" of any player in this draft as well. Same with JSN. The most important thing you can do with a top 5 pick is not waste it. Exceeding expectations will be gravy.

I think you still mean highest here? Honestly you are all over the place kind hard to piece this together.

I would argue that Carter has the highest ceiling of any non QB in the draft.

Devon Witherspoon was voted most likely to make it to the Hall of Fame, out of this draft class.

But his floor is commensurately low. I agree that Witherspoon's ceiling may be sky high, (I think it will be) but I know his floor still a great player.

Every players' floor is the same. Look at Aaron Curry.

OP
OP
rjdriver

rjdriver

Reaction score
I think you still mean highest here? Honestly you are all over the place kind hard to piece this together.

Devon Witherspoon was voted most likely to make it to the Hall of Fame, out of this draft class.

Every players' floor is the same. Look at Aaron Curry.

I'm too old to figure out multi quote...

I guess I didn't articulate my thought well enough... Perhaps I should have phrased it as risk vs. reward. Sometimes with high reward, comes high risk. I feel like JS takes a more risk averse approach to the draft than he has previously. That's kind of what I meant by draft for the floor. My bad for the confusion..

I didn't know that about Witherspoon. Even more reason I don't understand why some are upset with the pick. I swear I got more and more excited foe this kid with every post I read.

As far as every floor the same... I mean...There are always outliers like Curry, but in general, players with character and work ethic issues (and QB's lol) are thought to have a lower floor than other players. In the same fashion, I wouldn't say "Every players' ceiling is the same, look at Tom Brady". I certainly understand what you are saying though.

GGotskill

Reaction score
I'm too old to figure out multi quote...

It's easy! Just add a line space anywhere in the quote, and it breaks it apart.

I guess I didn't articulate my thought well enough... Perhaps I should have phrased it as risk vs. reward. Sometimes with high reward, comes high risk. I feel like JS takes a more risk averse approach to the draft than he has previously. That's kind of what I meant by draft for the floor. My bad for the confusion..

Gotcha! Makes sense.

I didn't know that about Witherspoon. Even more reason I don't understand why some are upset with the pick. I swear I got more and more excited foe this kid with every post I read.

Yep.

As far as every floor the same... I mean...There are always outliers like Curry, but in general, players with character and work ethic issues (and QB's lol) are thought to have a lower floor than other players. In the same fashion, I wouldn't say "Every players' ceiling is the same, look at Tom Brady". I certainly understand what you are saying though.

My point with every floor is the same, there is no such thing as a can't miss player. Every player has the potential to bust and be out of the league. There are way way more players that bust than players that are even moderately successful.

The flip side is not true, not every player can be the best at their position.

nanomoz

Reaction score
It's clear they prioritized great football players and nit urgent needs and I l9ve that.

Both these dudes have some unique traits, too, which we know Pete loves.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
It's clear they prioritized great football players and nit urgent needs and I l9ve that.

Both these dudes have some unique traits, too, which we know Pete loves.
Like leadership, competitive, commitment to, and love for the game?

All indications are we drafted some very high character and hard-working young men.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'd say a more accurate statement would be we drafted for best available + ceiling vs need + ceiling.

We got CB1 and WR1, WITH big ceilings, WITH no major character issues. Vs. DL2 or DL3 (debatable due to character issues).

To say we drafted for floor is wildly inaccurate. Unless you can explain how Witherspoon and Njigba have a lower ceiling than Carter or Wilson. I don't see that at all. All four have a high ceiling. But only two come with less risk, the two we drafted.

olyfan63

Reaction score
<snip>
My point with every floor is the same, there is no such thing as a can't miss player. Every player has the potential to bust and be out of the league. There are way way more players that bust than players that are even moderately successful.

The flip side is not true, not every player can be the best at their position.
Any draft pick can bust. Case in point: UW DT Steve Emtman, drafted 1st overall by the Colts. Played in 18 games out of 48 during his first 3 seasons. IIRC, no questions about his character, leadership, ability.

Wikipedia: "He was considered the best overall player on the 1991 Husky undefeated national championship team. A consensus All-American, Emtman won the Outland Trophy, Lombardi Award, was the Bill Willis Award winner and the UPI Lineman of the Year. He was also named the Pac-10 Defensive Player of the Year during his impressive junior year of 1991. He finished fourth in the ballot for the Heisman Trophy."

Injuries derailed Emtman's career. So even "can't miss" players with ability, heart, and smarts can flop. Granted, these days sports medicine allows many more players to overcome, e.g., torn ACL injuries and return at full speed (Rashaad Penny as one example) but there's always a risk.

GGotskill

Reaction score
Any draft pick can bust. Case in point: UW DT Steve Emtman, drafted 1st overall by the Colts. Played in 18 games out of 48 during his first 3 seasons. IIRC, no questions about his character, leadership, ability.

Wikipedia: "He was considered the best overall player on the 1991 Husky undefeated national championship team. A consensus All-American, Emtman won the Outland Trophy, Lombardi Award, was the Bill Willis Award winner and the UPI Lineman of the Year. He was also named the Pac-10 Defensive Player of the Year during his impressive junior year of 1991. He finished fourth in the ballot for the Heisman Trophy."

Injuries derailed Emtman's career. So even "can't miss" players with ability, heart, and smarts can flop. Granted, these days sports medicine allows many more players to overcome, e.g., torn ACL injuries and return at full speed (Rashaad Penny as one example) but there's always a risk.

My favorite college player of all time.

pmedic920

Reaction score

I been saying this all along (with different words).

We killed it IMO