Washed up Pete - The God Named Wilson - Ramblings of a Madfan

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
The ageism in some of the comments about Pete is just sad.
It's the truth. When you get older some of your faculties start slowing down. Pete is close to being the oldest coach ever in the NFL. He's also taking on a lot more than most other coaches in the NFL. Even Belichick took a step back on player acquisition duties and other things he used to do. You also become rigid and less flexible as you age. It's not even agism, it's pure fact -- there are numerous scholarly articles and studies on this phenomenon.

It's a sad part of life, but we have to acknowledge that we put him in a high pressure, fast paced environment where he is in charge of many moving pieces. How much longer can he realistically keep this up at his age? We're also seeing a team that is slowly declining, age aside does he even still have the chops any more to field a competitive team?

There are just so many downsides and mistakes over the years that when combined with his age -- it really makes no sense to keep Carroll and even John Schneider at this point, especially after he just ran the QB out of town and traded franchise QB capital for an inbox safety.

Another angle here is Carroll knows he doesn't have long in the NFL. The dude is at the age that most people retire. How much is his age affecting the moves he takes to make the team competitive? In 2010 he tore the Seahawks team down to the bedrock and rebuilt the whole roster piece by piece. We just traded our franchise QB and by contrast we're resigning/signing a bunch of aging veterans who are near the end of their effective playing careers. Good players mind you, but not players you necessarily want on a team that is far away from competing.

There are a lot of angles to this, but I don't think you can overlook the age factor in all of this from many different perspectives. At the very least I think they need to pull the plug on his control in certain areas.

sc85sis

Reaction score
It's the truth. When you get older some of your faculties start slowing down. Pete is close to being the oldest coach ever in the NFL. He's also taking on a lot more than most other coaches in the NFL. Even Belichick took a step back on player acquisition duties and other things he used to do. You also become rigid and less flexible as you age. It's not even agism, it's pure fact -- there are numerous scholarly articles and studies on this phenomenon.

It's a sad part of life, but we have to acknowledge that we put him in a high pressure, fast paced environment where he is in charge of many moving pieces. How much longer can he realistically keep this up at his age? We're also seeing a team that is slowly declining, age aside does he even still have the chops any more to field a competitive team?

There are just so many downsides and mistakes over the years that when combined with his age -- it really makes no sense to keep Carroll and even John Schneider at this point, especially after he just ran the QB out of town and traded franchise QB capital for an inbox safety.

Another angle here is Carroll knows he doesn't have long in the NFL. The dude is at the age that most people retire. How much is his age affecting the moves he takes to make the team competitive? In 2010 he tore the Seahawks team down to the bedrock and rebuilt the whole roster piece by piece. We just traded our franchise QB and by contrast we're resigning/signing a bunch of aging veterans who are near the end of their effective playing careers. Good players mind you, but not players you necessarily want on a team that is far away from competing.

There are a lot of angles to this, but I don't think you can overlook the age factor in all of this from many different perspectives. At the very least I think they need to pull the plug on his control in certain areas.Bot

sc85sis

Reaction score
It’s one thing not overlooking the age factor. It’s quite another making comments calling him senile, etc.

zhawk

Reaction score
It saddens me how people here are always predicting the downfall of various entities on the team, whether it be coaches, players or ownership.

There is such declared certainty that this is happening or that is happening and how the blame for not winning the championship every year is the fault of so and so.

Such a great amount of inside knowledge from people that have never been in the room where things are happening.

The calling for the end of a specific coach or players career to be ended here and all the blame for everything or anything to be assigned to him.

The railing continues until it becomes a cacophonous uproar with multiple rantings of various mantras. Parties with their own agenda because they dislike a person or style of play beat the drum for change until it eventually becomes self fulfilling prophesy. Once the party at fault is traded/fired then it’s on to the next!

I get it winning is fun and losing sucks!

Winning the SB every year is unattainable, yet some seem to have a magic formula that is sure to work.

Lest we forget, we are all nothing more than a collection of human successes and failures that sometimes actually achieve our goals of greatness. There are 32 collections of them in the league with the same goal in mind.

My point is, that some cannot be content to just be entertained by the spectacle of the sport and are quite wrapped up in their desire to always be right and call for the heads of those they deem responsible.

Perhaps we should credit the opposition for the ingenuity they bring to the game as well.

We should get them fired as too!

I’m a fan and I want my team to win. I don’t play fantasy football because I want to root for my team, not players on all teams. Although I do admire the skill and grace of many.

But losing is reality for all of us and I hope for better results next game or next season. But in the meantime I try to enjoy the game as I did before we began to get all this internet knowledge. Sometimes I just don’t want to know things and I’m sure that makes me dismissible as a fan. But it’s how I feel.

I’ll miss Russ but he’s gone, and as upset as I was, I hope we can build something new and exciting. I can’t wait to see!
Go Hawks!

ps. For those who will critique my post. Poor paragraph structure, grammatical error, spelling or punctuation do not negate nor make my points invalid.

Thanks for reading 🙂. Again. Go Hawks!

GemCity

Reaction score
It saddens me how people here are always predicting the downfall of various entities on the team, whether it be coaches, players or ownership.

There is such declared certainty that this is happening or that is happening and how the blame for not winning the championship every year is the fault of so and so.

Such a great amount of inside knowledge from people that have never been in the room where things are happening.

The calling for the end of a specific coach or players career to be ended here and all the blame for everything or anything to be assigned to him.

The railing continues until it becomes a cacophonous uproar with multiple rantings of various mantras. Parties with their own agenda because they dislike a person or style of play beat the drum for change until it eventually becomes self fulfilling prophesy. Once the party at fault is traded/fired then it’s on to the next!

I get it winning is fun and losing sucks!

Winning the SB every year is unattainable, yet some seem to have a magic formula that is sure to work.

Lest we forget, we are all nothing more than a collection of human successes and failures that sometimes actually achieve our goals of greatness. There are 32 collections of them in the league with the same goal in mind.

My point is, that some cannot be content to just be entertained by the spectacle of the sport and are quite wrapped up in their desire to always be right and call for the heads of those they deem responsible.

Perhaps we should credit the opposition for the ingenuity they bring to the game as well.

We should get them fired as too!

I’m a fan and I want my team to win. I don’t play fantasy football because I want to root for my team, not players on all teams. Although I do admire the skill and grace of many.

But losing is reality for all of us and I hope for better results next game or next season. But in the meantime I try to enjoy the game as I did before we began to get all this internet knowledge. Sometimes I just don’t want to know things and I’m sure that makes me dismissible as a fan. But it’s how I feel.

I’ll miss Russ but he’s gone, and as upset as I was, I hope we can build something new and exciting. I can’t wait to see!
Go Hawks!

ps. For those who will critique my post. Poor paragraph structure, grammatical error, spelling or punctuation do not negate nor make my points invalid.

Thanks for reading 🙂. Again. Go Hawks!
Getting corrected in an online forum, where the chances are high that the author is typing on a mobile device, is somewhat pathetic.

Great post btw!

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Carroll has 2 jobs. Neither of which he is doing well.

Yes, he succeeded in the past. While some can say most of that is attributable to certain people no longer in the org, he did build the org.

So invective aside, what is the trend?

The trend is what was predicted, a downward slide. There is a 12-4 in there, but that seems more an outlier. (Especially when you consider the abysmal playoff failure that followed that regular season).

Usually, when you have a trend of failure with a player, you remove them. The Seahawk org does it. But for some reason, some people want to make excuses for our aging and increasingly less effective/competent HC.

This isn't about not winning the SB. It is about not producing playoff results. It is about producing some of the worst roster decisions in the NFL in the past 5 years. Arguing this is about not winning the SB is conflating the issue.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
There does seem to be a lot of correlation between Pete and good QB play throughout the years.