Stopping the run

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
It going to be interesting go see how they adjust to stopping Detroits run game.

Do they bring down a safety and stack the box?

Do they go with a different d front?

Im confident they will be better this week against Detroit..

I didnt rewatch the Atlanta game but it seemed the were setting the edge and turning it back inside but there was no back side pursuit from the linebackers because they were unable to shed the blocks and they were late filling the gaps. Thats what i saw.

Thoughts?

toffee

Reaction score
Apparently there are stats out there that Poona and Jefferson received double team most of the time. If our DT were double teamed, our DE and LB should have more opportunities.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Apparently there are stats out there that Poona and Jefferson received double team most of the time. If our DT were double teamed, our DE and LB should have more opportunities.
What stats? I'd be really interested in seeing them.

I had noticed Poona being double-teamed a few times, but I didn't think it was really happening a lot. I'd love to see stats on how often our DLs were double-teamed.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Going into the season, run stopping was supposed to be the strength of the team. That's why they opted to stick with Woods, Mone, Ford, etc. However, it seems that went out he window since the season started. I still think they should have made a trade for Roquan Smith at LB. I was just reviewing the DT FA's still available - Linval Joseph and N. Suh are still available. If I was JS/PC, I'd be bringing them in for a tryout.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
So far opportunity has not been enough. This scheme looks like it needs at least 2 more inside LBs right now to succeed. Run plays either get stuffed at the line or the RB runs up the middle at will until the pursuit catches him. It's pretty ugly and I don't see an easy fix for what appear to be multiple issues.